What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
    I opted for the trainer's H&K VP9. It's a slick gun, basically a Glock clone. Media was obviously paper.

My EDC remains the KelTec PF-9, for now. Would like to up that for a G43, someday.

(edit) ammo was 115gr Winchester FMJ ball.
    (edit moar) the H&K VP9-SK is also a contender for an upgrade. It's a little sloppier than a full frame, for obvious reasons, but I'm kinda an H&K fan, like Coke and Pepsi.
    To me, if I have to shoot, I figure, it will be up close and personal. For EDC, anyway.

So I Don't worry too much about 25 yards. Maybe shortsighted, though.

Not familiar with HK

Carry old Glock 22 at work. Showed a target of one magazine of Federal HST LEO ammo at 25 yards to a trainer, he told me no worries, LOL.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
      My dog just dropped a burnt rubber fart with an intensity that had a physical presence.

You did not just smell it, it did not just hit you physically, it actually knocks you to the side a little bit.

Right, Bill, blame it on the dog...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        To me, if I have to shoot, I figure, it will be up close and personal. For EDC, anyway.

Not familiar with HK

Carry old Glock 22 at work. Showed a target of one magazine of Federal HST LEO ammo at 25 yards to a trainer, he told me no worries, LOL.
        In my limited experience, the H&K VP series feels more refined, softer, less recoil, easier to manage. YMMV.
        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Not familiar with HK

I like the Glocks, particular the 19 and 43.

But...I will only carry one in a holster with a strong trigger guard situation.

Unless, there is not one in the chamber, which has its own tactical concerns.

Comment

In my limited experience, the H&K VP series feels more refined, softer, less recoil, easier to manage. YMMV.
            No idea...

Comment

So, this was a timed test. Plus, I was aware of the rest of the class, behind me, anxiously waiting their turn, plus I had been out of the house all day, kids sitting themselves, plus it was chilly (I took off my coat, too). So it was a tad stressful, I was ready to GTFO, and I basically phoned it in for the 15 yard shots. I knew I already had enough on paper to win, and I was popping about 1 per second, not really worrying about anything past general sight picture. I'm sure I could have shot better.
              Decent shooting under so much stress.

We qualify en masse. I use ear plugs and muffs, lol.

Comment

Loud noises, particularly from hand cannons shooting next to me, often make me nervous.

I stop to keep at eye on them, usually.

Comment

I use a retention holster, edc. Or work.

Comment

Loud noises, particularly from hand cannons shooting next to me, often make me nervous.

I stop to keep at eye on them, usually.
                    I muffed my first shot 2 years ago because of that. I felt the muzzle blast on my face, lol.

Comment

The Glock-ish trigger safety is pretty reliable. That said, there are instances of AD on presenting, but I don't see this as a failure of the gun so much as an accidental cowboy (think SAA fanning). The holster itself may have more to do with the ADs, I haven't run a study, but it seems plausible.

In any case, you have to be comfortable with the gun you are carrying. It took me a while to warm up to condition 1 carry. Now, I see the wisdom in "it's only a hammer unless you can pull the trigger." But, I came from a world where we didn't even keep the mag on the same side of our bodies as the frame, unless SHTF. So, understandable. You are only as good as your worst training.
                      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

I muffed my first shot 2 years ago because of that. I felt the muzzle blast on my face, lol.
                        We've had a couple range deaths from idiots in Sarasota.

Hot brass down the bodice preceding an autonomic trigger pull or other stupidity.

Comment

Howard Leight Impact Sports for the win. Properly adjusted, including the volume knob, you can go from foamie level protection to that innate scariness everyone gets from a big bang next to them. Best $35 I've ever spent, when it comes to shooting.

Comment

We've had a couple range deaths from idiots in Sarasota.

Hot brass down the bodice preceding an autonomic trigger pull or other stupidity.
                            In my case, the guy next to me was tall and long-armed.
                            He was safe.

I way out shot him tho.

I caught a brass from a M1 Garand on the collar bone. Got caught in my fleece pullover.

That left a mark, and entertained the shooter immensely.

He also dubbed me "Police Woman",
                            Because I carried a revolver.
                            Last edited by BKR; 1/19/2019 10:08pm, .

Comment

Howard Leight Impact Sports for the win. Properly adjusted, including the volume knob, you can go from foamie level protection to that innate scariness everyone gets from a big bang next to them. Best $35 I've ever spent, when it comes to shooting.
                              Thanks, will look into them. Waterfowling gets painful.

Comment

Thanks, will look into them. Waterfowling gets painful.
                                Oh, but be warned - even low profile muffs can have a severe impact on your ability to shoot long arms. So, I try to keep some foamies around, for those occasions. Depends on the long gun, scope placement, etc. In a pinch, a couple of 9x19 do wonders, though.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X