What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Dual meet! Bonners Ferry vs Priest River!

Did Pledge of Allegiance, 'Murica, baby!
    Nobody likes wrestling much around here...

Some excitement. Saw some nice wrestling.

Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Nobody likes wrestling much around here...

Some excitement. Saw some nice wrestling.

Do you keep these new IJF rules in your head like a computer?

I was a wrestler first, and I love Judo,

but my bias is such that I find myself both resentful and resistant to playing full out to record the new IJF rules in my head.

I'll show the rules friendly version, but can't help making a sarcastic comment.

I think Judo and Wrestling benefit when we let the wrestler throw on a jacket and try to apply their skills...

And vice-versa.

But I was not hired green, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
        So, one thing I never did in Texas, but apparently it's all the rage with the kids, these days... is pledge allegiance to Texas:

Sorta cool, mostly creepy. I swear, I never did this, it was never an option when I was in school. I don't know when it (re)started. So, surprised as fuck when my kids were doing it. I'm still not used to it, and it's creepy as fuck. I have always enjoyed telling people how wrong they are about Texas; this does not help my position.
        Never heard it, left for NOLA in August Of 1987.

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
          The fuck? Do they say this pledge at school? Do teachers lead them in this?

I lived in texas from 1987 to 1991 as a teenager. I do not remember this being a thing then.
          This was at a wrestling meet. Someone started it, then everyone joined in.

My son just told me they do it every morning at school. In class, during announcements.

Teachers joins in, students lead over intercom.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
            Do you keep these new IJF rules in your head like a computer?

I was a wrestler first, and I love Judo,

but my bias is such that I find myself both resentful and resistant to playing full out to record the new IJF rules in my head.

I'll show the rules friendly version, but can't help making a sarcastic comment.

I think Judo and Wrestling benefit when we let the wrestler throw on a jacket and try to apply their skills...

And vice-versa.

But I was not hired green, I suppose.
            I am not up on the latest nuances of IJF rules and current interpretations.

Unless you are coaching, the rules are not that important to teaching good judo.

No jacket judo is good. The kids and teens love it, and Sumo.

Nice change of pace.

I would often comment to my competitive students how we would have handled a certain gripping and postural situation back when we could still grab legs and belts.

Like what often would comment that it's really a lot easier without touching below the belt you don't have to worry about training to avoid those sorts of attacks.

And that's true I had to spend a lot of time learning how to sprawl and crossface and all that stuff because of the fact that grabbing legs with hands with allowed.

Gwen had to be alot careful about attacking because it was a lot easier to counter.

Comment

I am not up on the latest nuances of IJF rules and current interpretations.

Unless you are coaching, the rules are not that important to teaching good judo.

No jacket judo is good. The kids and teens love it, and Sumo.

Nice change of pace.

I would often comment to my competitive students how we would have handled a certain gripping and postural situation back when we could still grab legs and belts.

Like what often would comment that it's really a lot easier without touching below the belt you don't have to worry about training to avoid those sorts of attacks.

And that's true I had to spend a lot of time learning how to sprawl and crossface and all that stuff because of the fact that grabbing legs with hands with allowed.

Gwen had to be alot careful about attacking because it was a lot easier to counter.
              Yeah.

It will be interesting to see what the IFJ and descendant organizations rulesets are in 5 years.

After I what I perceive as perhaps an over-reaction has passed or assimilated or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                The fuck? Do they say this pledge at school? Do teachers lead them in this?

I lived in texas from 1987 to 1991 as a teenager. I do not remember this being a thing then.
                Never heard it, left for NOLA in August Of 1987.
                OK, so I'm not completely off my rocker, then.

Yes, this is done in school as part of their morning routine, as well as at special events. Maybe it's just my suburban district (Leander ISD) that does it, but I kinda feel like it's a state-wide thing.
                Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                  Yeah.

It will be interesting to see what the IFJ and descendant organizations rulesets are in 5 years.

After I what I perceive as perhaps an over-reaction has passed or assimilated or whatever.
                  It's all driven by the sports entertainment industry aka the Olympic movement.

By that I mean the rule changes.

They have basically done the same thing to her Olympic wrestling.

It's all about making stuff look better on TV some more people will watch it.

Don't even try to hide it it's all about the action the spectacular throw Etc to keep the audience interested and do dumb stuff down for the masses.

Comment

Yes, this is done in school as part of their morning routine, as well as at special events. Maybe it's just my suburban district (Leander ISD) that does it, but I kinda feel like it's a state-wide thing.
                    So they do the pledge of allegiance to Texas and said of the United States of America?

That's fucking twisted...

Comment

Honestly it sounds like some secessionist quasi-nationalist sovereign citizen type stuff.
                      "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Comment

So they do the pledge of allegiance to Texas and said of the United States of America?

That's fucking twisted...
                          Anyway, just the facts, ma'm...

https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/flagpledge.html

Pledge of allegiance to the state flag
                          The pledge of allegiance to the Texas state flag is

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

According to The Handbook of Texas Online, "In 1933 the legislature passed a law establishing rules for the proper display of the flag and providing for a pledge to the flag: "Honor the Texas Flag of 1836; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible." The pledge erroneously referred to the 1836 national flag, known as David G. Burnet's flag, instead of the Lone Star Flag. Senator Searcy Bracewell introduced a bill to correct this error in 1951, but the legislature did not delete the words "of 1836" until 1965."

The pledge was again amended by House Bill 1034 during the 80th Legislature with the addition of "one state under God." The revised wording became effective on June 15, 2007.

The text of the current law, Chapter 3100, Sections 3100.101 - 3100.104 of the Texas Government Code, is available to be viewed online.

Apparently, it's not only Texas...
                          https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...for-their-flag

Comment

About to get on a call with client in China... #firstworldproblems

Just realized a long-lost friend lives about 30 minutes from me, I'm trying to hook up with him this weekend, or maybe next.
                            Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Make sure you ignore Phrost too.

Comment

Ouch, that hurts.

(edit) On the call: Japan, China, Thailand. And, they all speak engrish!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X