What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
    I've never lost a mobile phone. Wife has washed a few, though. And, she drops hers about once a week (doesn't always destroy them). So, I'm no stranger to the cost of replacement. Sucks.

(edit)
    I pulled out the okra stalks, the other day. We now have "nokra." Was wondering about winter crops, garlic works? We love garlic, too, would be an easy thing to do.
    I've lost and/or drowned more than one... I should not have been out that particular evening, had been up since 0500, stressing on Son#1 ACL recon that day, etc.

He's fine, going to school tomorrow.

Garlic you usually plant in the fall to harvest the next summer. Where you live, I imagine you could grow Kale and other winter greens all winter, especially if you got them going late summer or early fall. When I lived in Wichita Falls, it got a bit too cold in the winter to do that, but I didn't really know as much about gardening as I do now.

We covered up Kale and Chard with plastic last fall, and were eating greens really early in the spring. That was some damned good, sweet, tender Kale, too.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

We're looking at 3 freezes, this week. It's pouring, right now.

I get ya on the HP thing. I spent a good amount of time today deciding whether or not I would put better optics on the AR. Of the 2 .243s I now have, I only see using one. The Remi with the 4-9x scope. Browning has a fixed 4x scope, so I would at least want to upgrade that, but then maybe it would take front. It feels a little nicer. A-bolt in .243, they don't even make 'em like that, anymore. With other arms coming in, it's going to be hard to choose. There's also a .30-06 in the mix. Whitetail is about the biggest thing, around here. .30 is getting a little big, unless I'm just trophy hunting, which isn't in my near-term plans - I'm about out of wall space :)
      Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

We're looking at 3 freezes, this week. It's pouring, right now.

I get ya on the HP thing. I spent a good amount of time today deciding whether or not I would put better optics on the AR. Of the 2 .243s I now have, I only see using one. The Remi with the 4-9x scope. Browning has a fixed 4x scope, so I would at least want to upgrade that, but then maybe it would take front. It feels a little nicer. A-bolt in .243, they don't even make 'em like that, anymore. With other arms coming in, it's going to be hard to choose. There's also a .30-06 in the mix. Whitetail is about the biggest thing, around here. .30 is getting a little big, unless I'm just trophy hunting, which isn't in my near-term plans - I'm about out of wall space :)
        Yeah, Texas weather is pretty changeable. A freeze though you can save greens with some plastic cover. Kale and Chard are some tough fucking veggies.

El NINO is pretty strong this year, we are getting wet, but not so cold as usual in non ENSO years.

Snow is up high, but not in valley yet. The Line Mountains and top of Selkirks/Cabinets are getting serious snow.

But it's getting colder, so the rut is now ON.

More on that in a moment.

Regarding rifles/weapons for the smaller deer, it's pretty much six of one, half dozen of the the other. Being an old fucker, who can't see, I need a scope in anything but good light. I need to put a scope on my Mini30. I've got one that's perfect (an old Leopold 1-4x X 20 mm), but it's perfectly sighted in with the New England Custom Gun aperture sight I used to use on my Ruger #1.

I could not have killed that doe with it, LOL. And the deer are coming out just at last shooting light now, so far, anyway.
        Last edited by BKR; 11/12/2018 12:17am, .

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          But it's getting colder, so the rut is now ON.
          I expect nothing less than horn-wrangling video.

Regarding rifles/weapons for the smaller deer, it's pretty much six of one, half dozen of the the other. Being an old fucker, who can't see, I need a scope in anything but good light. I need to put a scope on my Mini30. I've got one that's perfect (an old Leopold 1-4x X 20 mm), but it's perfectly sighted in with the New England Custom Gun aperture sight I used to use on my Ruger #1.

I could not have killed that doe with it, LOL. And the deer are coming out just at last shooting light now, so far, anyway.
          20mm? Damn, man, that's tiny. Might as well be iron sights. The Weaver on the Browning .243 is 4x32, and I think that's too small.

As far as ammo, just watched this video, by pure coincidence; I do enjoy his stuff, and this one has me thinking... then, again, I have always and intend to future-wise shoot into the clear, so maybe not a big concern.

Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

So, we went hunting tonight, after a long day of working on the truck, and some in the garden (pruning
            Blackberry bushes, mostly). Son#1 is here, so he won't have to get up so early to go to school, and gimp around on crutches.

I had planned on going hunting earlier in the day, but my truck had other plans. I did get the heater blower fixed, but had to take the dash apart to get to it, plus, no power to the switch, I found do some corrosion in the fuse panel. So, emery cloth, and solder (I found my solder gun I bought back when I was 16 and in electronic tech school,LOL), and the blower was working again. Then I found a fuel leak and decided not going to drive it until I fix that.

I grabbed my rifle, said I was going hunting, and the Wife Unit and Son#1 were invited and accepted. At this point, there is maybe an hour or so of legal hunting light left. So we load up and head up to the ex'es house. I had to get my tags out of Son#2's coat pocket, LOL, as I had to sort through them with a headlamp the night before when I shot the doe. Plus, there is a good spot to check behind the ex's house. I suspected the rut was going to be going, finally, due to the clear, cold weather that had turned up, finally. There were usually plenty of does in that area, and we had not shot one so the bucks would filter in, hopefully.

So I get my tag, and Wife Unit and I head to take a look. Right away, I see does in the usual place, which is good. We keep creeping up and scanning strips of draw, far, and near slopes. I take one more step up, scan with the binos and see antlers, about halfway up the far side of the draw. I announce in my near-deaf loudness, "Buck, honey, shoot it". Of course, the buck, about 100 or so yards away, hears me. He had been nose down, trailing the does that were above and in front of him, feeding on the ridge. He could not see us, but spooked up to the top of the ridge.

The wife unit is trying to find him in her binos (noob mistake), but I'm lined upon the buck as he stops just below the top of the ridge; about 150 yards away broadside. He is a mature 4x4, with a large looking body. Wife unit still doesn't see him. She tells me to shoot, so I do, using the side of a tree as a rest, and fucking miss.

So, Mr. Buck is on alert for sure, does a little pirouette, starts to go after the does, but I make a loud grunt at him, and he ends up going back the way he came from in the first place.

Wife unit, I noticed, is still looking in her binos, so I tell her to put them down and just look, then to take a shot. I'm tracking him with my scope, as he trots along. I grunt at him, to soft, and then again louder, and he stops.

Dammit, she still has her binos up. He takes off again, and get to the far end of the ridge, a few yards from the property line, so I grunt again, which doesn't work, so I just yell at him, which doe work. Finally, she takes down her binos and it's a miracle, sees him, quartering away at about 200 yards, with a safe backstop of ridge behind him.

Now, I'm using a tree for a rest, she is standing beside me, brings up her rifle, kind of collapses into herself, and bang, my right ear drum is once again insulted, I see the bullet hit him, and he goes down in tall grass.

My wife has just dropped a buck in his tracks, quartering away FUCKING OFFHAND, AT 200+ YARDS.

She says "I got him!", and I'm still watching, and no deer. The grass is 3' high, anyway. We wait and look, no deer.

She had jacked a shell in after the shot, without even losing cheek weld.

I'm like, I'm not worthy...

Anyway, I leave my rifle leaning on a tree, and we hike over. I walk right to the spot, there is fresh blood, and the deer is about 4 yards down the slope, dead. Apparently, he hit the ground at the shot, and rolled down slope a bit.

Pics or it didn't happen...5'3" Wife Unit for scale. I estimate 175# plus live weight, maybe more, for the deer. Wife Unit is maybe 130...

The one she shot last year was nice, but this one has a much larger body.

Photo looking to where she took the shot, to the left of the last nearest tree on the right, far ridge, about 5 yards back into the woods. No zoom, used her iPhone, as my phone is somewhere above 5,000 feet...

After we field dressed him, we managed to drag him to the top of the ridge we were on. Not all at once, though, because we are old and he was heavy. Maybe 10 yards horizontally.

At that point, we dragged him maybe 10 yards on a deer trail. She told me, "Cut him in half, now". So I did, and we managed to get him to a point, after about 200 yards, where we could get the Suzuki close enough.

If I said I'm glad I missed, it would be true, because at this point it makes me happier to help someone get a deer than it does to shoot one myself.

But still, I think I need to do some dry firing before next weekend...
            Last edited by BKR; 11/12/2018 1:04am, .

Comment

This morning I decided to go to the weight bench and see what the damage is from this little journey through chemical cocktail oblivion.

Decided I wasn't suicidal and just sat on the bench for about 5 minutes rolling up a couple of doobies.

Today I weighed in at 115 lbs so I guess I won't be competing for Mr. Universe this year (that's a little joke, you know because I'm not very big). I got in the shower and engaged in a little preventative debridement.

Then I packed up the last of the good ACDC and broke the cheap plastic connector between the volcano vaporizer and the vapor balloon.

I found the box of old lucre that I got at Mardi Gras in 2000 and now have a new favorite insulated water jug.

Then I tried to play an adaptation of Ledbetter's version of Gallow's Pole on my Cremona but it sounded more like two angry cats fighting in a burlap sack than a bluegrass adaptation. I've always been a little curious why bluegrass players don't borrow more from the old timey R&B. It's all folk music though in my opinion they were just black folks instead of crackers like me. The only real difference is they use more horns and piano, so, you know, more like proper musicians.
              "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

I expect nothing less than horn-wrangling video.

20mm? Damn, man, that's tiny. Might as well be iron sights. The Weaver on the Browning .243 is 4x32, and I think that's too small.

As far as ammo, just watched this video, by pure coincidence; I do enjoy his stuff, and this one has me thinking... then, again, I have always and intend to future-wise shoot into the clear, so maybe not a big concern.

Yeah, the 1-4x X 20 is an old Leopold dangerous game scope, and was mounted on a .375 H&H my Dad had built decades ago. He wanted to go to Africa, but never did. Super wide field of view. Not really designed for shooting in super low light. Especially with older eyes that the iris doesn't open as much as it used to.

At 4x, the aperture is 5mm. My 4x Leopold is a 4x X 32, so that's 8mm, which is I think about the max anybody's iris can open.

My Dad has an older, made in Germany, 4x X 32 Zeiss scope. Compared to my 4x 32, you can see in the dark with his scope, literally. Quality of glass and coatings, I guess...

Of course, coatings, larger objective, quality of glass matters as well.

On the brush busting, I thought that was a myth that got busted a long time ago.

Oh, and my first anti-deer rifle was a .243, Remington Model 660. I killed literally a truckload of deer with it and factory ammo. I don't remember ever having to shoot one more than once, or one running more than maybe 50 yards after shot. Usually they just fell down dead or kicking. The 660 had a 20" barrel, so the 100 grain factory ammo was starting out at maybe, 2750 FPS ? It got burned up at the gunsmith's shop decades ago.

In the end though, dead is dead, as they say.

Comment

Yeah, the 1-4x X 20 is an old Leopold dangerous game scope, and was mounted on a .375 H&H my Dad had built decades ago. He wanted to go to Africa, but never did. Super wide field of view. Not really designed for shooting in super low light. Especially with older eyes that the iris doesn't open as much as it used to.

At 4x, the aperture is 5mm. My 4x Leopold is a 4x X 32, so that's 8mm, which is I think about the max anybody's iris can open.

My Dad has an older, made in Germany, 4x X 32 Zeiss scope. Compared to my 4x 32, you can see in the dark with his scope, literally. Quality of glass and coatings, I guess...

Of course, coatings, larger objective, quality of glass matters as well.

On the brush busting, I thought that was a myth that got busted a long time ago.

Oh, and my first anti-deer rifle was a .243, Remington Model 660. I killed literally a truckload of deer with it and factory ammo. I don't remember ever having to shoot one more than once, or one running more than maybe 50 yards after shot. Usually they just fell down dead or kicking. The 660 had a 20" barrel, so the 100 grain factory ammo was starting out at maybe, 2750 FPS ? It got burned up at the gunsmith's shop decades ago.

In the end though, dead is dead, as they say.
                  I could be wrong, but the larger objective plus quality/type of objective coating is what gives you the "light gathering," stuff. So, you want to shoot predawn or post-dusk, bigger the better, starting with a 40+mm objective.

(edit) the ratio from objective to ocular has a big factor too, I think. Consider starting a fire with sunlight and a magnifying glass...

Comment

Today, I started rebuilding the server which is development for BS.net; failed drive in the mirror, have been wary of turning it on until I had a chance to fire up a new RAID. Data is copying, now.

I also pulled the trigger (haha) on getting my Texas LTC. Florida license gave out, a few months back, and not sure if that was definitely legal, anyways, since I moved. Found a local place that will give free class to vets, and already getting a discount from the state because vet status.

Open carry, here I come!

Comment

Open carry, here I come!
                      I don't like doing open carry, makes me nervous. Do you worry about it inviting trouble? Seems like concealed carry is quite a bit safer. That's just me though I guess. I'm the paranoid twitchy type.

Comment

My brush gun was a Mauser 98 chambered in 45-70 Government. Sadly, burgled long ago.
                        Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                          My brush gun was a Mauser 98 chambered in 45-70 Government. Sadly, burgled long ago.
                          That is quite a beast. I've never pulled the trigger on (edit: a 45-70) but I bet it was fun as hell to shot, not to mention expensive these days.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                            I never was able to shoot to the 45-70's potential, myself.

I loved the idea of it.

But I sadly sold my BFR and Marlin in 45-70.

Comment

I could be wrong, but the larger objective plus quality/type of objective coating is what gives you the "light gathering," stuff. So, you want to shoot predawn or post-dusk, bigger the better, starting with a 40+mm objective.

(edit) the ratio from objective to ocular has a big factor too, I think. Consider starting a fire with sunlight and a magnifying glass...
                              Yeah, the thing is though, the human iris can only open so far. In any case, bigger objective and better glass/coatings equals better low-light aiming.

I like to mount my scopes low to the bore as possible, so objectives bigger than 36 to 40 I don't like. Of course, you can get stocks that will work with higher mounts, adjustable or otherwise.

Good luck when you go out !

Comment

Today, I started rebuilding the server which is development for BS.net; failed drive in the mirror, have been wary of turning it on until I had a chance to fire up a new RAID. Data is copying, now.

I also pulled the trigger (haha) on getting my Texas LTC. Florida license gave out, a few months back, and not sure if that was definitely legal, anyways, since I moved. Found a local place that will give free class to vets, and already getting a discount from the state because vet status.

Open carry, here I come!
                                M4 on a Ching sling, baby, go for it !

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X