No announcement yet.

What did you do today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here this video sums up Bullshido lockeroom humor perfectly.

I've seen this movie almost every day for 34 years (mostly in my head, but not always).

'�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Dune overall sucks - Paul deserves so much better in that clusterf of a story line. I preferred Janny Wurts “Wars of Light and Shadows” series. Hell, even Simon R Green’s “Deathstalker series”.
      "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

And George R R Martin... 3/10
        "I'm reluctant to sound like a total fa66ot as well, but my background in sculpture gave me an edge in understanding how we're expected to move thru space." - The Other Other Serge

Comment

Originally posted by Lily View Post
          Dune overall sucks - Paul deserves so much better in that clusterf of a story line. I preferred Janny Wurts “Wars of Light and Shadows” series. Hell, even Simon R Green’s “Deathstalker series”.
          Burn the witch.
          Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

And George R R Martin... 3/10
            That dude is a train wreck. His writing sucks, and he is never going to finish the Song of Ice and Fire. He knows that if he ends it the way he said he would, and is contractually obligated to by HBO, his fans who are naively still hoping that Daenerys will be a hero will turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs for all the things wrong with his books.
            Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post

That dude is a train wreck. His writing sucks, and he is never going to finish the Song of Ice and Fire. He knows that if he ends it the way he said he would, and is contractually obligated to by HBO, his fans who are naively still hoping that Daenerys will be a hero will turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs for all the things wrong with his books.
              He made good $$$ though.
              go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Comment

Both Paul's and Alia's ends were meant to be poetic, kind of a light and shadow motif. The Baron has his revenge, Paul once again determines the course of humanity's future with a kind of desert sacrifice that made sense, from a certain point of view.

But I'm personally a Dune purist. I've never read any book but the first, even though I know everything that happens because of Wikis.

You can never unread a book, after all, or unsee a movie. I wish I'd never seen The Phantom Menace, and it was just a meme my kids told me about.

Speaking of which we just all watched Borat for the first time as a family and I think I almost killed them both. They couldn't breathe during the big fight scene.
                Last edited by W. Rabbit; 10/23/2020 9:35pm, .
                '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

Comment

People hate themselves for not noticing Daenerys was a fucking fascist with a God complex all along. Or they, you know, just think it's natural and vote that way.

I blame Jason Mamoa for making every woman want to be her, even while she slaughtered thousands.

I got 2 pages into the first novel, and now it's at the bottom of a pile when I realized the HBO writers were far superior to Martin.

Comment

He's a good writer but he's not a novel length writer. He's a short story writer and got in way over his head after the first books sold so well.

His Wild Cards short story collection series is very good in places and people can learn alot about his strengths and weaknesses as a writer from those. He's very good at editing and curating works of others. His stories in those collections are generally pretty good. Not all of them are great but enough of them are good that it makes the whole thing worth reading.

I'm a little surprised that with all the attention that GoT generated that more people never talked about the one project he's good at meeting deadlines for.

If you look at the books with the way they have shifting POV characters it's easy to see his problem. He gets bored easily with old ideas and wants to write the ideas that feel fresh to him. Stephen King sort of wrote about this phenomenon with the Dark Tower series. He became afraid of it and afraid of not being able to finish it because he lost focus for other smaller more interesting and thus easier projects to complete.

I have the same problem as a writer, only I suck at all of it. I get bored, meander and wind up thhrowing the whole thing away. I wrote most of a science fiction novel once but the hard disk was damaged and I couldn't pull enough out of it. Losing months of writing was catastrophic to my ability to complete anything.

Edit: It was about the transformation of regular people into Cthulhu-esque old ones. It was my attempt to deconstruct the superhero genre by showing that such a thing a "super human" along the lines of comic books would probably lead to an extinction level event with the worst kinds of monstrosities. See, superhero comics rely on the established trope and the audience just accepts that people somehow got these abilities and more or less didn't change much.

See, in the comics the bodies would go through incredible changes but their brains would stay the same. That doesn't make any damn sense. See if just a few changes happen in your kidneys, for example, your personality can be radically altered because your brain relies on a specifical chemical balance to function within normal parameters. Assuming these superhuman abilities weren't fatal, the end result could be something horrific. usually when this happens to people, it's debilitating but if for some reason it actually made them stronger or smarter, their emotional and psychological state could still spin out of control. In fact, given the way that certain organs affect the brain, increasing their function and the bodies ability to survive the drastic changes for some reason, their entire personality would likely be badly altered.

Think about someone like Wolverine, for example. In the comics he instantly heals everything, so certain normal neurological functions like the atrophy of neurons in the brain that allow us to forget trauma or past experiences that are unimportant could make someone constantly confused about the passage of time because each memory moved into long term storage would likely stay that way until the neuron connectors were needed for something else at which point you'd get memory associations with other entirely unrelated memories.

Like remembering the pain of getting hit in the head by a baseball when you were a kid being paired with your own phone number due to some otherwise weak association. I have a similar pain. Everything I look down from a significant height I feel a phantom pain in the sole of my right foot because I jumped out of a tree once and impaled my foot on a 6 inch nail. Rusted nail went straight through my foot. It was excrutiating at the time so much that everything I look down, my body reminds me of that pain we were designed to stay away from things like getting hit in the nuts. Imagine what kind of pain someone with wolverine's cinematic history might feel going about his life with all the catastrophic injuries if his brain never trimmed those neurons?

So, long story short the superhumans go about doing entirely human shit and turn the Earth into Verdun on a bad day. The only thing separating the average man with all too common resentment from Mao and Stalin is a lack of ability to enact their desired agenda and an extra helping of fear. Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, and Stalin weren't really that smart. They were just in the right place at the right time to cease godlike powers over their fellow person. Remove those barriers from a regular guy and add a heaping helping of insanity and you'll get a pretty good monster fight. Good becomes bad and bad becomes salvation. Real meat grinder shit. If someone ever writes that book, don't thank me or send me a royalty check.
                    Last edited by Dung Beatles; 10/24/2020 9:24am, .
                    "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Sorry, I had extra coffee this morning. In that I didn't go to sleep and stayed up all night smoking pot and drinking coffee.
                      "Pave the way for the little guy, Caligula!" Harry Solomon, September 28, 1999

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                        Sorry, I had extra coffee this morning. In that I didn't go to sleep and stayed up all night smoking pot and drinking coffee.
                        I was gonna say, that might be your longest post ever.

By Bullshido standards it's still relatively short.

There are posts here that can be seen from beyond space.

Comment

Originally posted by Dung Beatles View Post
                          Everything I look down from a significant height I feel a phantom pain in the sole of my right foot because I jumped out of a tree once and impaled my foot on a 6 inch nail. Rusted nail went straight through my foot. It was excrutiating at the time so much that everything I look down, my body reminds me of that pain we were designed to stay away from things like getting hit in the nuts
                          One of the things I study is the pseudoscience of ancient Chinese medicine.

There's a TCM point right where you describe that directly correlates to the solar plexus.

There's no actual nerve there that I know of, but it's more than just the nervous system involved, obviously.

Who forgets a punch to the gut?

Comment

I loved A Song of Ice and Fire but realised in around that book seven Martin just couldn’t or wouldn’t wrap his own work up and as soon as he sold out to HBO I just lost interest. I’m indifferent toward the show but his jumping ship to write for the series killed it for me, I couldn’t give a fuck about anything else that he does. Im not even a fan boy, I just can’t be bothered to sink so much time into a guy who can’t commit to his own creation and go about it with some discipline.
                            Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

Hung out with parents with brother tried.

https://www.theoriginalhotdogfactory.com/

and

https://www.raysbbqshack.com/
                              Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Comment

go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X