Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Are you training at 10th Planet now?

I did the RAF Museum in Hendon on Friday, then went to training that night. Tested out my new Viking shield, 5kg feels like way more when you actually have to keep the fucker up in front of you.

Crashed and burned on Saturday, woke up in time for sparring group, turned over and went back to sleep. Energy just completely gone.

Playing Kerbal Space Program again, this time with mods. Plan is currently to put tanks on the Mun.
    Currently training out of my college mat room. I'm planning to move to Tenth Planet next year/when I get my blue belt though, because training in a gi is starting to fuck up my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
      Currently training out of my college mat room. I'm planning to move to Tenth Planet next year/when I get my blue belt though, because training in a gi is starting to fuck up my fingers.
      I am beginning to think that no amount of training is going to completely remove the taint of aikido from you, even though you have never done aikido.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        I am beginning to think that no amount of training is going to completely remove the taint of aikido from you, even though you have never done aikido.
        My favorite comments to date.
        Ghost that's the kind of attitude that gets you beat up by ninjas :-p

Comment

How so? Is there something wrong with not wanting to be one of those guys that has to tape up all of his fingers? I don't mind pain while training, bu if there is a way for me to avoid unnecessary permanent damage to something important like my hands I am gong to take it.

Comment

How so? Is there something wrong with not wanting to be one of those guys that has to tape up all of his fingers? I don't mind pain while training, bu if there is a way for me to avoid unnecessary permanent damage to something important like my hands I am gong to take it.
            WTF are you doing that fucks up your fingers that badly ? I've done Judo for 35 years and mine are OK. Not saying that it won't or can't happen, but I seriously doubt you are training as intensely as I did when I was your age. We taped our fingers back then to keep the skin from getting ripped off while grip fighting, not because they were broken or dislocated.

Maybe you should relax your white belt death grip ?

Comment

WTF are you doing that fucks up your fingers that badly ? I've done Judo for 35 years and mine are OK. Not saying that it won't or can't happen, but I seriously doubt you are training as intensely as I did when I was your age. We taped our fingers back then to keep the skin from getting ripped off while grip fighting, not because they were broken or dislocated.

Maybe you should relax your white belt death grip ?
              Okay. One of the joints on my left hand was starting to hurt all the time. I know several BJJ guys with fucked up hands. Stuff like spider guard really isn't good for your fingers.

Comment

Yesterday, went and built furniture and cleaned some stuff. I enjoyed myself, especially since everything ended up working well.

Put on a corset and lace gown, went and had dinner with friends, including my fiancee and my boss, who had a great conversation about a bunch of stuff. It was nice. I felt content.

Took fiancee home. Had a great evening.

Comment

Okay. One of the joints on my left hand was starting to hurt all the time. I know several BJJ guys with fucked up hands. Stuff like spider guard really isn't good for your fingers.
                  I can't see how that would be any worse than Judo grip fighting... and yeah, fingers can get banged up, but taping them is not that big a deal.

Must release death grip, must release death grip...

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/GNC-Pro-Perfor.../dp/B00GBCLVR2

They make a beginner set that starts at 50 lbs . I assume for white belts,women and children. I workout with these. My grip is top notch and I don't have to tape my hands like a mummy. :-p
                    All kidding aside , I started working with my hands as a telephone linesman as a teenager so I assume my grip strength came from there. A lot of rope pulling ,climbing and wire cutting,etc. But my hands are in awesome shape because of it. The grip trainers have helped even more.
                    Building grip strength is great for no gI wrist control as well as gi grappling.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                      http://www.amazon.com/GNC-Pro-Perfor.../dp/B00GBCLVR2

They make a beginner set that starts at 50 lbs . I assume for white belts,women and children. I workout with these. My grip is top notch and I don't have to tape my hands like a mummy. :-p
                      All kidding aside , I started working with my hands as a telephone linesman as a teenager so I assume my grip strength came from there. A lot of rope pulling ,climbing and wire cutting,etc. But my hands are in awesome shape because of it. The grip trainers have helped even more.
                      Building grip strength is great for no gI wrist control as well as gi grappling.
                      Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on a set.

Comment

I can't see how that would be any worse than Judo grip fighting... and yeah, fingers can get banged up, but taping them is not that big a deal.

I don't know spider guard is the only thing that has ever required me to tape up my fingers.
                        As a result I am not really a fan of using it, that and it works against my really horrible flexibility in that plane.

Comment

Well I can finally throw head kicks. Not well mind you, but it's a possibility now.

Comment

Well I can finally throw head kicks. Not well mind you, but it's a possibility now.
                            When you can kick to head height very slowly with control, you can kick accurately with real power and good technique.

Comment

The beginner's death grip plus having lazy fingers that would snag on the gi gripfighting killed me at first even though I'd spent years doing mechanical labor and had tough fingers by most standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergrey View Post
                                When you can kick to head height very slowly with control, you can kick accurately with real power and good technique.
                                Many people can do the latter and not the former.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X