Captain America The Winter Soldier -- Official Marvel Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
    The thing I remember and ejnoy the most was Captain America kicking nazi ass; to me, that was his purpose in life.

Hydra and the Red Skull have always been Captain America (and Shield's) main enemies. Without Hydra and the Red Skull, you can't have Crossbones (who showed up in the trailer) as well as a lot of different technologies that exist as core parts of the Marvel Universe because of Hydra.

Also, I get the problem with the altered role of the Cosmic Cube, but I think that can be pretty easily explained by the fact that the movie universe seems to be almost completely devoid of magic. In the comics, the Asgardians are actually gods. In the movies, they are just really advanced aliens/. Given everything else in the movies, a wish-fulfilling Cosmic Cube would probably have felt out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
      Yeah, they really should've spent some time on his training. We saw him struggling in boot camp before he got the serum, and that was pretty much it. It felt like there were some major scenes missing in between the time he spent as a mascot and the time he spent fighting HYDRA.

A lot of superhero origin movies have this problem where the first half is a well-done character story and the second half devolves into action schlock, because it's mandatory that the hero has to square off against a villain even if they don't have time to develop that part of the story. Captain America: The First Avenger probably illustrated that the best.
      True, and it's hard to pack all of that into a single movie no matter which way you cut it. I just don't get the same sense of him being CAPABLE that I was hoping to see. In the comics he always gets a ton of respect from other characters...he's a living legend. It just seems there should have been some way to convey that in the movies, but I'm not getting it (except some of the hero worship from Coulson).

Comment

Anybody watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? Marvel's got, like, six TV shows planned: Cloak and Dagger, The Punisher, Mockingbird, Jessica Jones, Agent Carter (From the Captain America movie), and the Hulk.

My hope is that all these shows are handled poorly and that the genre goes brutally out-of-style, relegating superheroes to children and socially-impotent melvins once again. Then I can finally be at peace reading unbought back issues of Adam Warlock in the failing comic book store forty minutes from where I live.
        Non-failed comic book stores are a rare sight in my neck of the woods! I do find some at half-price books, though...

I've been kinda liking the Agents of Shield show, if only because it's a regular fix of comic book action...I'm interested in how the characters end up fleshing out (actors typically try to hard at the beginning of a series, it seems to me, so you gotta wait until they settle down to get a real sense of it). I like the idea of the movie tie-ins with it to...maybe a show like this could have allowed for more backstory for Cap before the Big Show...

So, Marvel has six more independent shows planned, all running concurrently? I think that would be a bit of overkill...the hardcore fans might dig it, but others will get saturated pretty quickly with that much content IMHO...

Comment

Yeah, they really should've spent some time on his training. We saw him struggling in boot camp before he got the serum, and that was pretty much it. It felt like there were some major scenes missing in between the time he spent as a mascot and the time he spent fighting HYDRA.
          I don't know what you're talking about. They clearly showed his training and experience in this montage:

He even references this when he rescues the soldiers and they question his abilities: "I've knocked out Hitler over 200 times!"

What? All that dance choreography has to make him at least as well-trained as the average McDojo student. That + Soopersoldier Serum = The Fighting American. Errr, so to speak...

Comment

My hope is that all these shows are handled poorly and that the genre goes brutally out-of-style, relegating superheroes to children and socially-impotent melvins once again.
            I can count the successful superhero shows on one hand, but would need Fu Manchu's abacus to count the failed ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
              I can count the successful superhero shows on one hand...
              SUCCESS!

And hey... Ain't it a good thing you've got that other hand free?

Comment

I'm hoping Captain America: Winter Soldier will be like the unnecessarily violent 1960's Silver Age series, where Cap spends the bulk of his stories punching people in the stomach while throwing around random martial arts jargon like "leverage" and "pressure points." In the foreword to the Marvel Masterworks collection, Stan Lee actually wrote "If you look closely, you might actually find a plot."

but would need Fu Manchu's abacus to count the failed ones.
                Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Originally posted by Styygens View Post
                  SUCCESS!

And hey... Ain't it a good thing you've got that other hand free?

Comment

Hulk and Jessica Jones have been sitting around since 2010.
                    Jessica Jones wasn't picked up.
                    Punisher wasn't developed.
                    Hulk was still looking for a writer.
                    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38683

Cloak & Dagger and Mockingbird have been sitting since 2011 and are for ABC Family. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                      Hulk and Jessica Jones have been sitting around since 2010.
                      Jessica Jones wasn't picked up.
                      Punisher wasn't developed.
                      Hulk was still looking for a writer.
                      http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=38683

Cloak & Dagger and Mockingbird have been sitting since 2011 and are for ABC Family. LOL.
                      I'm confident that there's at least still hope for the Rex Smith Daredevil series.

Comment

Fantatstic Four and Daredevil are up for reeboot so who knows?

Comment

I'm hoping Captain America: Winter Soldier will be like the unnecessarily violent 1960's Silver Age series, where Cap spends the bulk of his stories punching people in the stomach while throwing around random martial arts jargon like "leverage" and "pressure points." In the foreword to the Marvel Masterworks collection, Stan Lee actually wrote "If you look closely, you might actually find a plot."

I'd watch that movie.

Comment

This is one of my favorite covers with the Cosmic Cube. Actually its one of my all-time faves; its a John Byrne cover.

I hope the Winter Soldier thing is handled well in the movie. The Ed Brubaker scripts for that storyline are incredible, some of the best work done in the Modern Age IMO.
                            " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

^ Hey look, it's sociozz!

Your...um...'town' produced any more jihadists?

Comment

With all of these reboots and marvel comics going big screen when are we going to see a new Howard the Duck?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X