X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, was this a pronuskiation thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
      Complaining about calling them "nunchucks"? Were you the kid that insisted "NO! It's pronounced KARA tay! Don't MAKE me kick your ass- I've got a yellow belt!"
      Pronunciation matters in the martial arts. Especially when referring to "Chinese stars" and "nunchucks".

And shuriken and nunchaku should be properly italicized as well...

Comment

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post
        Pronunciation matters in the martial arts.
        Or so says some old Asian guys who hears his American students butcher the language.

Somehow, this doesn't work the other way around though, because to some, butchered English and a heavy accent is actually the mark of a genu-wine Oriental master.

Personally, I refuse to believe that so many techniques I've learned are correctly called "You do this way".

Comment

Pronunciation matters in the martial arts. Especially when referring to "Chinese stars" and "nunchucks".

And shuriken and nunchaku should be properly italicized as well...
          You missunderstand. I am well aware that the proper terms are shuriken and nunchaku.

However, we're talking about the shank stand at the open air market. Those pot metal wall hangers are about as authentic as the names I gave them.

Yadidiahmean?

Comment

Pronunciation matters in the martial arts.
            Is it phonetically pro-nounce-ee-aay-shun or pro-nunc-ee-aay-shun?

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
              So this week our state fair is in full swing and while checking out a list of the attractions I noticed some people called team rock had a MA demo area set up. So I stopped by to check it out. What I noticed first was that they apparently are one of those break bricks for god type setups. That alone made me want to vomit. But what really stood out was their "souvenir" stand. They are selling katanas, throwing stars, and nunchucks. Yes that's right they are arming drunk fair goers, wtf?? So there's my question does this seem like a good idea?? To sell sharp pointy weapons at a state fair full of beer tents??
              I got two words for you:

Rennaissance Faire

They sell all that and more to drunk faire-goers who've also just seen stage combat acts and have saucy looking wenches in bodices hanging around to impress.

That's a terrible combination. And yet almost everyone leaves with the same number of eyes and digits they came with.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                Personally, I refuse to believe that so many techniques I've learned are correctly called "You do this way".
                Mine were always "Dat not right".

I thought I spelled it wrong, but as I said I'm a mechanic not an English professor.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X