Effed over at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effed over at work

How many of you have been royally fucked over by your employer? I'm not talking about being fired for your third strike/ written warning of being late because your "alarm didn't go off" or some similar excuse that shows more about your work ethic than it does about your employer. I'm talking legit been ripped off after having put your all into a company, pulled late nights and dragged your sorry arse out of bed in early mornings to ensure you and your position within the organisation could never be questioned.

I started working for this company around this time last year, the company was homegrown and owned by a team of Directors that held some extremely impressive credentials. Upon researching the organisation I was impressed by the ethics, the structure and the fact that it was goddamn Australian made and owned and slowly moving into international markets, UK, NZ and HK. It was a fucking David and Goliath sort of thing, with many massive institutions seriously threatened by the software and services the company provided. I loved the fact that it was growing at a phenomenal rate, I loved the fact that I was going to be working with some incredibly intelligent people and I loved the fact that I was going to be helping charities to increase their fundraising (the purpose of the company).

I agreed to a salary ten thousand dollars below what I am worth, with a 10K bonus for meeting targets. I am that good at whatever I do that I was 100% sure that I would not be taking a salary hit by doing this, it was money in the bank and although people will say, "don't count your chickens", I say read on and stop interrupting me, douchebag. My immediate boss, one of the Directors, could not have been happier with my performance throughout the year, regularly praising my results, my ingenuity and my "get it done" attitude. I rapidly exceeded his wildest targets for my position. The rest of the company began coming to me for answers, help and guidance as I was frontline sales, I was the one speaking directly to our bottom 80% of customers (something which hadn't been done before) and I was the one that was learning why they weren't engaging with us. I was the "go to" guy, the one called on when something was needed. Everyone from sales to the software development team, marketing to finance LOVED dealing with me. I am a people person, it is what I do and why I am good at what I do. I was repeatedly told that I was exceeding all expectations of my position, that my bonus was assured and that everyone in the organisation could not be happier with me.

Late last year, though, the company was bought by a Goliath multi national. David had to assimilate. At first I was concerned, because their first port of call was to get rid of my boss, the Director. Then I was assured by the rest of the company that they would all go in to bat for me for my bonus, which was nice. Repeated emails and discussions with the new General Manager made me wary, he was resistant and meticulous, asking me for definitive results that I knew my old boss had provided him, but also he questioned why he should pay me when, in my duty to the company, I was put on varying other tasks that weren't strictly sales (but that were defined in my contract as "any duty required by the company"). It was very disconcerting.

However, the newly appointed Sales Manager happened to be one of the original salespeople I worked hard with who was acutely aware of the scope and depth of duty that I brought to the company, thus my hope was somewhat reinstated. She promised she would fight for my bonus and even met with my old boss, who confirmed that I deserved it and "should be paid 120%" of it in return for my exceeded efforts. She relayed this message to the new General Manager and I was informed that it was all but put in my account.

All to no avail. The new General Manager wrote me an email this morning, two months after I was supposed to have my bonus paid to me and has told me that I will only be receiving approximately 70% of my bonus and, get this, I should be happy to get that because it is rare that anyone gets 100% of their bonus in their first year. Now, you might think, "fuck, that's still a lot", or you make a shitload more than me and are thinking, "I use that kind of change as a dinner napkin", but I can tell you now, after tax, that equals about $4500 when I was promised and deserve, at least $7000 after tax and that extra $2500 is not a small amount of money for me. Fuck, that's half a decent car because my current one is literally falling apart. Fuck it, it doesn't matter if it is $2500 or $2.50, IT'S MY FUCKING MONEY!!!! I fucking worked for it, therefore it is mine.

So I'm royally pissed off, if you can't tell.

Your turn.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Originally posted by Devil
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
    I <3 Battlefields...

The company I just quit. Stopped paying me. No reason. jJst diddn't want to I guess
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Thats pretty goddamn awful. Are you planning on sticking it out where you are or looking to bring your talents elsewhere?

I work for a small nonprofit human services company. There are various programs within the fold, sober houses, food banks, adolescent group homes, and various outreach programs.

I work as a family advocate, helping out families that are in danger of losing their children to the state government(Department of Children & Families or DCF). This encompasses many things, including transportation, education, advocacy to DCF, schools, and the courts. I also run groups for aggression reduction and specialize in parenting for children on the autism spectrum. The hours are long, I'm on call pretty much all the time, and its by and large a thankless job. I enjoy working with kids, and sticking it to the man, so I don't mind.

Now the company I work for has a had a bad reputation. Much earlier(2007) I was partially responsible for having their female adolescent program shut down, as a client that I had who was a previous resident came to me with the disclosure that she thought that she had contracted anal warts from a staff there, who was sexually molesting the kids in return for extra privileges(ie You want an extra 15 minutes to talk to your mom? That'll cost you one handjob). Gross.

When I started working for the company I was assured that the program was headed in a new direction, that those things had long been stamped out.

Last September was the first inkling of trouble, as our paychecks were not released to us on payday(we get paid biweekly, and our company does not have direct deposit, which we later found out was a result of credit issues). We were told that there had been a mistake at our payroll company, and that triple the amount of taxes had been deducted, forcing them to hold onto our check until after the weekend. A minor inconvenience, we thought. Could happen to anybody.

Sadly, the truth was much more sinister.

Paychecks started bouncing. We later found out that our program director had not been paid for two months(of the original 12 members that started the program 2 years ago, only her and I remain). The climax came on Dec. 23rd, two days before christmas, when it came time for them to release our checks, they refused.

Now I should point out that this is not only staff who are having their pay withheld, although this is bad enough(we have houses with very violent adults and children, as well as jobs like mine, which a lot of travel(600 miles a month), that was not getting reimbursed) But also we have foster care families. Families who have taken a child in and for the most part, the only income they have is their foster care stipend. And it was right before Christmas.

My company employs a lot of ex clients. Clients who graduate from their programs, stay clean for a while and then eventually come back as counselors for slightly higher pay than whatever fast food restaurant they were working at previous. So my workplace is taking a population of people that is used to being victimized, and victimizing them again, because they know that they are ones who wont fight back. And they do it under the guise of "giving them a chance".

I was doing a training for some of my fellow staff, and I met one such woman. 24, latina, beautiful. She had worked at Dunkin Donuts before going to work at a group home. She was a single mother of a 4 y/o boy, it was her 2nd Christmas being clean, and it was the first one that she was going to be able to give him presents that weren't donated.

I haven't seen her since but I often wonder about her. About her son, and about her sobriety. To have your first "normal" Christmas taken away from you.

With this firmly in mind, myself and some members of my program went to war. We had a number of people that had come from previous programs, so we had a wealth of information that painted a sordid picture of cronyism, nepotism, and mismanagement.

So we went to the papers, the local radio, and the internet to spread the word.

Here are some of the better facts:

1. In our outpatient counseling department, which handles clients who have transferred out of our sober living houses to independant living, every single member was laid off, except the CEO's soon to be ex wife.

2. Our Homeless sheltering services director is run by a woman without any kind of schooling or training. Her previous job: She was our CEO's masseuse(hence him having an ex wife)

3. One of our homeless programs was run by a woman who hired her daughter(straight out of high school) to be her assistant director, and when she stepped down 4 months later, her daughter was allowed to "inherit" her title and position. This program is now under investigation for allowing male clients and staff to harass and molest females working and living there.

4. Two of our shelters were closed, due to mismanagement and losing state funding. The two directors of these programs re appeared in our senior management circle as our "Chief of Staff" and our "Director of Economic and Racial Inequality" Very esoteric.

5. We are a small company, of about 120 full time employees, yet we are extraordinarily top heavy with senior management, with a little less than 40 titles our out organizational hierarchy chart.

There is now a state investigation ongoing, and in my unit everyone but myself and two others were laid off(thus increasing my caseload from 11 to 28). They have been late on our paychecks every pay period since Christmas, and we've been told that March wont be any better, as it a 3 paycheck month.

Comment

It is very common to get fucked out of your bonus about everywhere I've ever worked. I have been in a very similar situation with a so called "profit sharing" deal that was supposed to be "instead" of wages. An incentive to make employees "invested" in the companies "sucksess". Step two is for the management to defer all of the profit so that you get a sorry card for a bonus.

That's why I never count on a bonus. The place I work now pays pretty good wages and gives the big bonus in good times. When I get one it is great, but when none are given out it is no longer a big deal. Your new boss sounds like a fuckstick. Hopefully you can lose that bastard and find a better job.

I quit a job once because my supervisor's hobby was fucking everyone over. The place I went to was even worse. The place I'm at now treats me pretty good. The only downside is that from time to time I get sent somewhere in the world for a few weeks at a time. That fucks my training up unless I get sent someplace where I can find a place that will let me work out with them. It's a steady paycheck though and those can be hard to find.

Good luck with the new boss. Tell him that you like to think of him as your second asshole. The stinky, painfull, ugly one that you don't need and don't like.

Comment

When I negotiated for my current position, I turned down the first bonus-heavy offer and told them that "bonus" is a word employers use when they want to say, "salary I don't have to pay you."

I can only say that bonuses should never be considered income until after the check has cleared.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
          And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
            All to no avail. The new General Manager wrote me an email this morning, two months after I was supposed to have my bonus paid to me and has told me that I will only be receiving approximately 70% of my bonus and, get this, I should be happy to get that because it is rare that anyone gets 100% of their bonus in their first year. Now, you might think, "fuck, that's still a lot", or you make a shitload more than me and are thinking, "I use that kind of change as a dinner napkin", but I can tell you now, after tax, that equals about $4500 when I was promised and deserve, at least $7000 after tax and that extra $2500 is not a small amount of money for me. Fuck, that's half a decent car because my current one is literally falling apart. Fuck it, it doesn't matter if it is $2500 or $2.50, IT'S MY FUCKING MONEY!!!! I fucking worked for it, therefore it is mine.

So I'm royally pissed off, if you can't tell.

Your turn.
            Uh oh Mr Hester looks like you just busted your web anonymity.

In all seriousness though your only real option is to contact the best employment solicitors you can afford and sue your employer. However, expect them to spend the remaining months/years of your employment finding ways to legally fire you and expect your future employers to reject you on principle that you are willing to sue your employer.
            sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear that man.

My poe went through something similar with the end of the year bonus. We had the money in the bank already and then the next week we got an email saying a mistake had been made with the way the bonuses were calculated. The difference came out of the next two checks. Luckily I hadn't spent much and we got paid 3 times in Dec. Anyway, had to deal.

Really sucks in your case though as you not only don't get fully recognized for your accomplishments but you'll also probably have to do it all over again in the face of these new circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by battlefields View Post
                Late last year, though, the company was bought by a Goliath multi national.
                You should have bailed right there. The new company will never value you like the old one did, so if you aren't looking, you should be.
                HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
                https://www.fitocracy.com/group/2988/

Comment

Not as sever as some on here but out of high school I had two shit jobs working at kids camps. First one I was the janitor (and for the first month the ONLY janitor) for a rich kids camp. I broke my ass everyday and got constant shit for not getting more done. They finally hired me an assistant who somehow became so well engrained with the management that he rarely bothered with his job. He left equipment all over the place, constantly forgot to return the golf cart and outright lied to me about getting work done. I had to work my ass off and clean up after his messes while being yelled at daily for not getting my job done.

It all came to a head one day when I asked him to clean the bathrooms at one of the cabins. He told me he did and as usual he even left equipment over there. I went to pick it up and when I saw the bathrooms I was stunned. I cannot begin to imagine what the hell happened but as close as I can discribe it would be to say a group of chimps was flinging shit in the bathrooms. It was aweful and this jackass had just told me he cleaned these bathrooms. I think I actually had a vein throbbing in the side of my head. Just as I come across this mess one of the bosses rides up and sees this. He yet again yells at me stating "Clean this up or clean out your room." I cleaned out my room and was glad to be rid of that job. The moron janitor ended up stealing their license plates and running off a month later.

Second job was as a cabin leader for a science camp. One evening the cabin leaders for the floor I was on disappeared. To this day I don't know where they all went but I was left alone with a floor of about 75 children who were going nuts as if they sensed the lack adult supervision and went all lord of the flies. I am running from room to room trying to restore order when the principle for that weeks school and the owner of the camp come in. Guess who gets fired for this mess? Hint it wasn't the other 7 or 8 cabin leaders that ran off that night.

Comment

That sucks Battlefields, I think employers realise how scared people are of being out of work and are taking advantage of it. Job security is a big worry these days, my girlfriend is an architect who has been retrenched 4 times in the last year.

My current employer owes me $3000 is unpaid overtime that I'm still tossing up whether to take further than the office. They use the "tough times" excuse to not pay their staff well while the company makes record profits.
                    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
                    Kenny Weldon

Comment

Originally posted by judoka_uk View Post
                      In all seriousness though your only real option is to contact the best employment solicitors you can afford and sue your employer. However, expect them to spend the remaining months/years of your employment finding ways to legally fire you and expect your future employers to reject you on principle that you are willing to sue your employer.
                      Yeah, and spend all that money he earned on a lawyer's hourly just to try and flesh out that ~2500$. Yeah, good idea.
                      http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Comment

Originally posted by jubei33 View Post
                        Yeah, and spend all that money he earned on a lawyer's hourly just to try and flesh out that ~2500$. Yeah, good idea.
                        Didn't say it was a good idea, but its pretty much the only way he can force his employer to pay him his bonus.
                        sigpic

Comment

Stuff like that makes me think that the Occupants might have a point...

Beware when we rise.

www.childsplaycharity.org

Comment

I worked for a big multi-national, In my first bonus period there, I made all my targets, then got told I wasn't eligible, because I started about 6 days after the beginning of the quarter they were calculated in . I missed out on about $2000. Every bonus period while I was there they always changed the criteria and we went from quarter to tri-yearly and back again, no one ever got a 100%. Constantly shifting goalposts.

My mentor in the company, after the first bonus issue, said to me to never rely on bonuses. After that, I just looked at it as a 'bonus', if it happened great, but didn't give it too much thought.

Comment

Don't ever expect a company to give a fuck about you. They don't. Big companies don't and small companies don't either. My advice is to not give a fuck about them either.

Play the game the best you can in a way that benefits you the most. You can look to go elsewhere, but your new employer will fuck you over somehow too. Don't be emotional in your decision making. Make your next move the most logical one and move forward.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X