Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
    True romance could well be my favourite film of all time
    And mine. I think a lot of people of our age are mad for that film. It was a good date flick in my first year at uni.

Been on crutches for most of the last three weeks, given me chance for several movie nights. Watched this last night, a touching Japanese love story about a young man and dead bodies:

Also enjoyed, in no particular order:

Cross of Iron
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Take Shelter (absolutely superb film - Michael Shannon is imperious)
    Zodiac
    Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    Tyrannosaur (bloody miserable but bloody good. very English)

Comment

"Midnight Express" the story of Billy Hayes, imprisoned for attempted Hashish trafficking from Turkey. The Late Brad Davis, John Hurt, Dennis Quaid.

Great film.

Comment

I re watched Battle Royale last night..what a twisted flick that is.
        " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
          OZZ

When you're Right, you're you're Right; and you're Right.

I was very impressed by Platoon and the night battle when they were being overrun was bloody scary. It just generated FEAR in me, as the viewer. The tracer, the unknown etc, and when one US soldier used his mate to cover himself when the NVA breached his trench was fearful.

BTW, have you noticed the continuity error when Charlie confronts his Platoon SGT (not Willem Defoe but his name has just dropped out of my Head)? Between takes, he has changed from a muddy wet khaki singlet to a dry non-muddy singlet. I'm assuming that they took a lunch break...:-)
          Platoon was a good flick. The most realistic Vietnam movie... not sure about that. Pops served two tours and was greatly unimpressed. Then again, there hasn't been a Vietnam movie my father has thought much of.

The movie he said most resembled the horror of urban warfare - Black Hawk Down.

Comment

Originally posted by OZZ View Post
            I re watched Battle Royale last night..what a twisted flick that is.
            For an Asian rip off of Lord of the Flies I guess it has its good points.
            Of course, the number one movie in America this week is The Hunger Games, which is an American rip off of Battle Royale.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKenner View Post
              Platoon was a good flick. The most realistic Vietnam movie... not sure about that. Pops served two tours and was greatly unimpressed. Then again, there hasn't been a Vietnam movie my father has thought much of.
              He served and IMO that's the issue.
              The movie he said most resembled the horror of urban warfare - Black Hawk Down.
              That's kind of funny.

My buddy served in Somalia and was part of certain aspects of BHD and said it didn't get the urban warfare right. It was good enough, like Platoon which was his example of realism, at making the masses understand, but it was not "right."

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                He served and IMO that's the issue.
                Well, there were always three problems with any of the flicks:
                (1) They were well over the top - think Full Metal Jacket (incidentally read the book, that is WELL over the top).
                (2) They lacked a lot of historical accuracy - you'll see guys running in the open during a firefight, firing from the hip. We Were Soldiers didn't make it far for that reason alone.
                (3)They had political positions he didn't agree with. Platoon fits snugly into this one.

In the end, yes it is because he served, and nothing made will reflect his experience.

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                That's kind of funny.

My buddy served in Somalia and was part of certain aspects of BHD and said it didn't get the urban warfare right. It was good enough, like Platoon which was his example of realism, at making the masses understand, but it was not "right."
                I read the book, after watching the movie and realized how much they simplified the situation. Yeah, I could see a vet feeling that way about the movie.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X