No announcement yet.

Movie Night at My House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching two De Niro classics: Raging Bull and Men of Honor.

Comment

Raging Bull is one of my all-time faves..
      Silver City is running a classics week and bringing some great movies back to the big screen. I'm going to see Scarface on Monday..I've never seen it in the theater.
      Its running through Cineplex in a lot of cities too..so check the web out if you are interested.
      " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

The Deer Hunter
        Taxi Driver
        Fellinis Casanova
        Carnal Knowledge
        True Romance
        Barfly
        Total Recall
        Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 2/05/2012 11:52am, .
        go to http://www.bullshido.net/forums/prof...do=editoptions > under Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
          The Deer Hunter
          NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Seriously mate, it's Awful.)
          Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 2/05/2012 12:00pm, . Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
            Moveablebooklady sounds like my type of gal.
            Ditto, right down to the Night Court reference.
            Originally posted by Snake Plissken
            cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
            Originally posted by Kiko
            But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
            Originally posted by Robstafarian
            Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
            1. Your argument is bullshit.
            2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
            3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
              The Deer Hunter
              Taxi Driver
              Fellinis Casanova
              Carnal Knowledge
              True Romance
              Barfly
              Total Recall
              True romance could well be my favourite film of all time
              sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
              "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Barfly
                + rep
                " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

Apocalypse Now.

I went to the cinema to see it when it was released and was stunned. A Classic.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
                    Apocalypse Now.

I went to the cinema to see it when it was released and was stunned. A Classic.
                    ^^I have the original movie poster laminated and mounted.
                    And I think The Deer Hunter is overrated too. I don't hate it, but its certainly not worth all the Oscars it picked up.
                    Best/most realistic Vietnam movie ever = Platoon
                    Oliver Stone served in Nam and won a purple heart so I'll trust his judgment any day.

Comment

Originally posted by OZZ View Post
                      and won a purple heart...
                      I'm not too educated about American medals, but is "won" the right word for a Purple Heart?
                      sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                      "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Originally posted by MovableBookLady View Post
                        You were reading this 15-page epic to your girlfriend? You were reading the epic while watching the movie? What exactly?
                        No, I did that on my own afterwards because both of us were kinda lost. She just thought it was weird and went on with her life.

Comment

Originally posted by OZZ View Post
                          ^^I have the original movie poster laminated and mounted.
                          And I think The Deer Hunter is overrated too. I don't hate it, but its certainly not worth all the Oscars it picked up.
                          Best/most realistic Vietnam movie ever = Platoon
                          Oliver Stone served in Nam and won a purple heart so I'll trust his judgment any day.
                          OZZ

When you're Right, you're you're Right; and you're Right.

I was very impressed by Platoon and the night battle when they were being overrun was bloody scary. It just generated FEAR in me, as the viewer. The tracer, the unknown etc, and when one US soldier used his mate to cover himself when the NVA breached his trench was fearful.

BTW, have you noticed the continuity error when Charlie confronts his Platoon SGT (not Willem Defoe but his name has just dropped out of my Head)? Between takes, he has changed from a muddy wet khaki singlet to a dry non-muddy singlet. I'm assuming that they took a lunch break...:-)
                          Last edited by Eddie Hardon; 2/06/2012 3:18pm, . Reason: typo

Comment

More movies I like:
                            THE DEVIL'S BRIGADE
                            Based on the story of one of the first Allied Special Forces units in World War 2, formed by merging a superbly trained unit of elite Canadian troops and a rabble of Americans facing the stockade or the firing squad.

FROM DUSK TILL DAWN
                            George Clooney manages to be a credible action lead, assisted by Vampire Danny Trejo, Vampire Selma Hayek, biker Tom Savini, preacher Harvey Keitel, and Quentin Tarantino as himself.

And as for the romance chatter. .to me it loses something when you remember that in the Biblical account we got kicked out of Eden because Women are suckers for smooth talking bad boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorami View Post
                              I'm not too educated about American medals, but is "won" the right word for a Purple Heart?
                              I think the proper term would probably be ' awarded '.
                              Purple Hearts are given out to soldiers who are wounded or killed in the field.
                              Oliver Stone was also awarded a Bronze Star for bravery.

Comment

Here's a movie recommendation :
                                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072684/

Its one of Stanley Kubrick's lesser-known films. Some may find it a little boring, but the incredible set designs and location shoots are worth any lull in the pacing of the film, in my opinion.
                                Its quite long though,over 3 hours, so set aside an evening or afternoon to watch it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X