RIP Sherman T. Potter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Sherman T. Potter

Star of M*A*S*H*, Dragnet and the unfortunate AfterM*A*S*H*, Harry Morgan has passed away.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2011...111209410/1011

Fuck. I loved him in his role as fatherly Colonel.
    One of the best actors to ever hit the screen.
    www.childsplaycharity.org

Comment

Holy shit this guy was still alive and only JUST died?

He was old when he was on MASH.

His best role was of course, was in Disney's The Cat From Outer Space.
      '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Awwwww horsepucky...

Comment

I liked him in everything. He could play crazy really well. My favorite example of this is in "What Did You Do in the War, Daddy?"

Comment

RIP, Sherm. May you find the great after-After M*A*S*H
            Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Oh no! Damn didn't know. :(

Comment

Colonel Sherman Potter is probably my favorite "father figure" character in all of TV history. Henry Blake was a good comedic character and a necessary holdover from the movie, but the addition of Colonel Potter really made the TV show shine.
                Originally posted by Snake Plissken
                cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
                Originally posted by Kiko
                But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
                Originally posted by Robstafarian
                Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
                1. Your argument is bullshit.
                2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
                3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Comment

www.childsplaycharity.org

Comment

Incoming Harry Morgan cameos!

'“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

He was 96, and seemed to have a pretty fulfilling life.. I do not think that M*A*S*H would have reached the height that it did without him replacing Mclean Stevenson.

Comment

Not to forget his role in "Support your local Gunfighter" or was it "Support your local Sheriff"? Both great films and very funny.

Well, I think so....

Comment

I just rewatched MASH. Love that show, even this long after it was made. He was a fantastic actor, created a brilliant character. Glad to know he loved a full, long life.

Rest in peace.
                          Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Comment

In the US the finale "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" is still(reportedly) the most watched television event ever in terms of percentage of households, share of overall viewers, and in actual number of viewers watching. Considering the finale was in 1983, its a very surprising statistic.

Comment

Also surprising is how well it stands up in modern day television. Ignoring the fact a lot of TV is crap now, but the show still holds such a power in the way the writing dealt with the seriousness of war, but somehow never managed to take itself too seriously.
                              Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??.........................​My work here is done.

Comment

Working...
                              X