Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NASA Discovers Inhabitable Planets

They are pretty far away..
    The article I read last night referred to the one planet as Kepler -22..but this article makes no mention of that name and refers to the two planets differently.
    http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/26196...life-exist.htm
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Ok..here's one on Kepler-22 :
    http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/26285...iscovery-u.htm
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Comment

This is great news!! Now when were done ass fucking this planet we can toss it over our shoulders like an empty beer can and find other planets to rape.

Comment

NASA has been focusing its deep space telemetry from Kepler on bodies in the "Habitable Zone".

The main importance of that zone is the ability to sustain liquid water, although liquid water also exists outside the so-called "Habitable Zone" it's most "life-friendly" form is inside this zone.

So, Kepler uses a small optical lens to constantly monitor the brightness of stars it surveys and when it finds data that indicates a world is about the same distance from its star as the Earth is from our own (1 AU +- a few), the world is probably the right temperature to hold liquid water on a fairly stable basis.

A lot of these worlds might still not even have an atmosphere or maybe have no magnetosphere, meaning the world is heavily radiated.

Water, on the other hand, is very common throughout the Universe, so the chances of it happening to find itself on a planetoid with an atmosphere right in the Habitable Zone should happen relatively often, given the size of things.

Lots of variables have to come together to support our perception of carbon-based life, but the variables themselves are relatively simple and from the data so far, common as well.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/07/2011 11:39am, .
        '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Oh funny mention, some people like to call the Habitable Zone the "Goldilocks zone"...not to hot, not too cold.

They don't get out much, astronomers.
          '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

Comment

I think this is more awesome than the general Internet response has been.

Comment

Hey Wabbit -realistically, how long do you think it will take for the folks at NASA to determine whether the planets in question have an atmosphere similar to our own and whether they habitable or not ?
              Exactly how far away are these planets ?

Comment

Srsly?
                This is good news to you people?

Hope you're into that sort of thing.

Yeah, you like that?

You want in on some of this action, Dr. Zauis?

=================
                Kama Sutra blue belt.

Originally posted by Emevas
                I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
                Originally posted by Rock Ape
                Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Hole View Post
                  Oh funny mention, some people like to call the Habitable Zone the "Goldilocks zone"...not to hot, not too cold.

They don't get out much, astronomers.
                  Yeah, they love to put their little jokes in where they can:

"COUP-TF (α,β,γ) :Chicken Ovalbumin Upstream Promoter Transcription Factor"
                  Haha!chicken coup!!
                  http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Comment

Light year, 10 trillion kilometers (6 trillion miles) So, the closest one is only a mere 120,000,000,000,000 miles from earth.

Comment

That's like 60,000,000,000,000 in banana feet.

We're coming for you.
                      Last edited by Sri Hanuman; 12/07/2011 3:33pm, .
                      =================
                      Kama Sutra blue belt.

Originally posted by Emevas
                      I used to fuck guys like you in prison.
                      Originally posted by Rock Ape
                      Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Comment

Originally posted by Sorekara View Post
                        Light year, 10 trillion kilometers (6 trillion miles) So, the closest one is only a mere 120,000,000,000,000 miles from earth.
                        True but if you consider for a second that a LY is from a human's perspective just 365 days so if there is a civilization capable of at least radio or optical communication 20 light years away, we could possibly catch their transmissions by pointing SETI antennae their way or even send advanced optic in that generation and actually see them on the surface. 20 years may seem lot a lot of time to have between text messages but still, being able to communicate with an exoplanetary civilization 20 light years away at ALL would sure be something.

The big problem with SETI has always been there is a lot of sky and only so much can be watched at once and 99.9999....% of it is of course, empty.

Now, they're starting to find strong, high confidence targets....so now they'll get their (lost) funding back hopefully.

The fact that SETI is getting research money again because of this discovery is awesome enough...SETI was the process of dying out before these big announcements...their needle in a haystack mission just got a lot more focused and interesting to say the least.
                        Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/07/2011 3:41pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Marley's Ghost View Post
                          Hey Wabbit -realistically, how long do you think it will take for the folks at NASA to determine whether the planets in question have an atmosphere similar to our own and whether they habitable or not ?
                          Exactly how far away are these planets ?
                          Very, very, very, very, very, very far.

Atmospheres appear pretty common, a number of Solar System planetoids have them. Jupiter, the biggest planet in our system, is basically a big ball of gas/atmosphere. Wherever there is gravity, gasses, and some mass you'll get one...is it oxygen? Argon? depends on what materials were around when the star system formed billions of years prior.

As far as discovering an atmosphere, keep in mind it takes X-rays 20 years to reach Keppler 22, so if we were to even start "probing" it using EM or looking at it with powerful telescopes, we'd be waiting 20 years or getting 20 year old pictures. My guess is SETI (esp with USAF funding now) will start trying both.

The realist in me says that the only real value in discovering life that far away would be to observe it from Earth, even if the observations are 20 years delayed. That would still lead to great scientific breakthroughs....I can see entire research industries watching 20 year old activities on Kepler-22, if it actually contains anything interesting.

How's this for a cool one: what about if (when) they find an exoplanet just like Earth but still in the process of forming, e.g. very volcanic. The possibility of finding planetary life in it's very earliest stages (microbial) would answer soooo many questions about Earth's life.

At the end of the day the reason the Goldilocks zone is money is that in that zone, you not only get liquid water but the composite vapor molecules which are....

O2, H2...see where that is going? Liquid water and an oxygen/hydrogen atmosphere could, theoretically, be found often together in the Goldilock's Zone of many stars.
                          Last edited by W. Rabbit; 12/07/2011 3:57pm, .

Comment

Launch torpedoes!
                            sigpic

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
                            "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Comment

Call me Eeyore, but I've always believed that the odds of finding intelligent, technological life at all--let alone near enough to communicate--are probably about nil. Over the course of 4.5 billion years, our planet produced such life exactly once, and we've only had the technology to do so for a century at most. Until about a billion years ago there were no multicellular organisms at all. Modern humans showed up only about 200k years ago. And we can't even know how common life is in the universe because we have no real sample. (My guess: really uncommon and we may be unique. Entropy is a bitch).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X