hyper=twisting the fists while punching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hyper=twisting the fists while punching

Does any one know the reasoning behind twisting the fist as in the following avatar?

I seen it done. I've seen it illustrated. But I've never heard an explantion.

On the other hand, I've been told "don't do it", but never why it's done in the first place.
    The vast Universe!
    The Way of Aiki to to become
    The light of all mankind
    Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Seems like a bad idea. I once heard a kung fu guy extol the virtue of hypo-twisting the wrist (45-degree inside rotation from vertical position) as a way to more accurately penetrate to the xyphoid process.

The only place that I can think of where the type of twisting you've shown above might be appropriate is when the elbow starts around head height for a punch that drops down on a (roughly) 45 degree angle to the body.

Comment

I have been told that it was a method taught to school children(on Okinawa, I believe, circa early 1900's), so that they woudl not be readily able to injure each other with their punches. Apparently the hyper rotatino reduces the power of the punch, so that while it is possible to hit hard, one is not hitting anywhere close to as hard as they could hit.

This is totaly anecdotal evidnce, however, and I can not vouch for it's historical or factual accuracy. :)

Comment

The only advantage I can figure out it that is turns the shoulder up, which could protect the chin.

The disadvantages are:

It's slower (for me anyway)
        The striking surface is the two smallest knuckles
        The vast Universe!
        The Way of Aiki to to become
        The light of all mankind
        Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Comment

Don't see the point in a straight shot, it does happen at times in an overhand and even on a cross but on the follow-through.
          Don't see the point of doing it deliberatly though.

Comment

One of the guys I train with kept telling me to hit that way.

Comment

I think the avatar is hyperextending her arm and making her elbow vulnerable to a break.

I thought that twisting the arms while punching feels more comfortable for karate punching from the hip, is all.
              Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

I usually don't rotate my wrist at all, unless I have a reason to. Every once in a while I find myself using a strike like the avatar, or what my school used to call an "inverted punch" when we used to teach such things.

When I used the inverted punch I really don't do it conciously. It's usually a reaction to my opponents guard. Sometime the added rotation can change the angle enough to allow me to thread the needle and still land the strike. I still hit with the two big knuckles, as much as I do with any other punch.

Comment

Re: hyper=twisting the fists while punching

Originally posted by garbanzo
                  Does any one know the reasoning behind twisting the fist as in the following avatar?

I seen it done. I've seen it illustrated. But I've never heard an explantion.

On the other hand, I've been told "don't do it", but never why it's done in the first place.
                  I've heard it's to jar your opponents head, thus making a KO easier. I've also heard it's to cause cuts on your opponents face, so that you can get a doctor's stop.

The thing that you should remember when throwing this kind of punch though, is that you only twist your wrist after you make contact with the opponent's face.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin
                    I think the avatar is hyperextending her arm and making her elbow vulnerable to a break.
                    That was what I thought when I first saw that pic too. Every time I try the twisting motion it makes me uncomfortable with my elbow position. Is this just me?

Comment

I think Asia once posted the explanation that the idea is to keep twisting through impact, so when you're contacting the person it's more horizontal (basically as ippatsu said).
                      You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

From an anatomical standpoint, twisting that much while throwing the punch probably does take some of the speed and power out of it. The speed of a punch is greatly affected by the triceps extending the arm fully near the end of the motion. Internal rotation (pronation) such as this will probably slow down the contraction of the triceps and thus slow down your punch. It also forces a locking of the elbow which increases your chance of injuring the joint on hard contact.

I wouldn't do it intentionally.
                        Last edited by GajusCaesar; 4/04/2004 1:35pm, .
                        Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Comment

it's to slide your arm inside of the other person's arm and use it as a guide so as to slam your fist into the side of his head. duh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenfucius
                            it's to slide your arm inside of the other person's arm and use it as a guide so as to slam your fist into the side of his head. duh.
                            Then I would like my elbow position even less in that circumstance, it would seem like you ar just asking to get it injured. (Unless of course I am doing it some funky way which might be the case because I have always been taught not to rotate it like that)

Comment

The thing I don't like about that avatar, and it has always bothered me, is that the girl's elbow is locked. I know some people teach it that way but I think it is a very bad idea to ever lock any joint under any circumstance. There are overhand and corkscrew punches in boxing that land like that but the elbow is high and bent and your shoulders aren't square. I'm going to just come out against fully extending or locking your elbow or knee for any reason.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X