Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: Omega, Boyd, others... MMA Specific training.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATTN: Omega, Boyd, others... MMA Specific training.

After a bit of discussion with Boyd over AIM, and thinking over this I thought I should request that he, Omega, and anyone else who has done real MMA training (not just do striking and then do grappling, doing both at once such as striking in groundfighting and transitioning into grappling from the clinch, etc) speak of the methods they use, how its all put together, and last but not least how you can do it safely but realistic enough to be effective.

We all know its not just a 1-2-3 thing to punch from a guard, or punch someone IN YOUR GUARD, and vice versa. How to cover up vs going for the submission or shoving them off is a new ballgame if someone is pounding on you from top. And we've all (hopefuly) seen Tito stack up someone and bring his forearms on someone's face. Then we saw Randy spank him... but thats another story.

Also, I was wondering what the more traditional guys have to think of it. Please don't say "ITS UNSAFE!" or anything stupid and cliched we've heard before.

And, if its possible... could this be troll free? I'd really appreciate that. I'm just trying to bring some communication back and share some ideas and training methods. This can also help educate what crosstraining, true MMA, and other training styles are, and how they compare to eachother.

Well, lets see how this goes...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Right now, I'm just adding the striking to the grappling little by little. Try stuff like working on maintaining position while upright and striking, or allowing striking from certain positions only. Add power when you feel it's not going to result in you or your partner being clobbered.
    Originally posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Boyd fights MMA now ?
      The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
      - Pizdoff

Comment

Not fight, train in true MMA Style. But he said he's only a beginner so I'm not gonna pump him up.

IIRC Omega DOES, and Osiris has before. Luan and Asia too.
        Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Comment

Sometimes when teaching no-gi I'll teach how to strike from mount, how to defend against strikes from under mount and when you've got guard. We'll then put the gloves on one person and have that person start from mount and the person underneath has to escape mount, finish the opponent with a submission or reverse the position.

Comment

Stay tight. Keep your head in to them when they are on top, keep your hips into them when you are on top.

Comment

What I like to do is work with the strenght of each individual and base a group of moves around that type of fighting. I do what I call spot training where I try to make sure I can spot every target, whether for submission or striking, and initiate a move half way and let it go.

Another thing I like to do is Freshman drills. New guy in ever 2 minutes for 5 minute rounds doing stand-up, throws, and ground work all on seperate days.

Video is a must to better visualize what's going on. It's one of the reasons why I jump on guys caases for ragging on other peoples fights that are posted. There are mistakes done on all levels from the most basic to the minute.

During training I like to work worse case scenerios and best case scenerios. Most guys don't know how to press a best case scenerio and end up losing.

Hope that helps and I hope I understood your request.

Comment

The biggest thing for me when I started Shooto was learning how to behave when I had guard on someone. You can't sit back and rest anymore, but instead have to keep your opponent close to minimize their striking chances. This of course cuts down on some of the BJJ type submission chances you get from the guard, such as some of the armbars.

Comment

BTW I hate closed guard.

Comment

> BTW I hate closed guard.
                    Doing it or being in it?
                    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

Both, it's ghey.

Comment

Closed guard annoys me. I suck at breaking it.
                        You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

I don't suck at breaking it, as a matter of fact I love when guys close there guard against me, gives me more optioins.

Comment

In guard, you can use your forehead to push on their chin. As they bring their arms up, hit the ribs. Or use your forehead to guide your hand to punch their face.

"The only important elements in any society
                            are the artistic and the criminal,
                            because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
                            can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Comment

When guys like Stoogejitsu and I do MMA sparring at Jackson's, we usually use the "50% to the head, 100% everywhere else" rule to keep things cut- and injury-free. Unless someone's getting ready for a pro-fight, then it's on like Donkey Kong.

Generally speaking, striking can really open up some submissions that you wouldn't get just rolling around doing sub wrestling. Also, MMA-type sparring will really demonstrate the foolishness of getting under a guy and just camping out there. If you wind up on the bottom, you better start looking for a sweep or an escape or you are going to take some damage. Even having guard isn't that great when striking is allowed. Unless, of course, the guy has no idea how to strike on the ground. Then it's armbar/triangle time. . .

As for specific drills and stuff, I agree with Omega, you really need video to see what needs to be emphasized. There are some pretty decent videos out there (I'm sure Panther Video has a ton of them), just do a search on Google or something.
                              "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
                              "Shadow Box"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X