Would this compliment my skills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would this compliment my skills?

I have been studying Fu-Jow Pai Kung Fu since Feb. '03. So far I really like it and it feels right to me. I only get to go about 2 times a week, and I would like to train at home more often, especially when it comes to technique, but there isn't much technique training you can do by yourself, so I was thinking about getting one of those Wing Chun wooden dummies. I've always been interested in Wing Chun, and I think getting one of those and learning to practice with it would be a big help to my home training. Does anybody think this would somehow negatively effect my Kung Fu training, like it wouldn't mix right or it would be a waste of time without a teacher to show me how to use it?

If you don't have anyone who can show you the dummy forms and drills, you are probably better off getting a heavy bag.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Comment

Little Idea is correct.

Comment

Heavy bag, and maybe one of those "dummy" attachments for the bag, why not.

Comment

Well, the only reason I thought of the wooden dummy over a bag was because the bag doesn't really help train your techniques, it just pretty much gives you practice hitting hard and gives you a good cardio workout if you do it that way. I was hoping to be able to practice and learn technique at home. Any other suggestions then?

Comment

Learning to hit hard is a VERY good technique to have, as is cardio. I would go with the bag. Unless your style does dummy work, I would consider it a waste of your time to get one.

Get the bag, work on your strikes, and improve your cardio. Good way to train at home.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
            X