Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brain damage in boxing and other striking arts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brain damage in boxing and other striking arts?

I read about boxers who die from brain injuries in the ring several times a year, and many veteran boxers obviously have taken permanent brain damage. Eventually, I'd like to get some skills at standup striking, but as a professional scientist, I really can't afford to lose too many brain cells.
    My question is, is there a level of boxing training at which brain damage is not an issue? Are other striking arts better in that respect? I suppose Muay Thai, Kyokushin etc focus more on damage to the body, but those kicks to the head don't look nice either...
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

I boxed in my early college days and did a report on boxing and brain injury. It's not the big KO blows that do it, it's the constant little taps, from the research I did. I also found reports and studies that said headgear makes it worse (the added weight keeps the neck from stabalizing the head properly) and boxing gloves provide no protection (the design is to protect the wearer, not the guy being hit). I've had 4 concussions, and my doctors tell me: 1) It's cumulative, all the little blows add up, 2) Once you get the first one, it's easier to get the next, and the third is easier than that, and so on.

I'll see if I can find the report I did and list some of the sources I used.

Having met a fair number of boxers and kickboxers, as a whole, the kickboxers seemed more coherent mentally. But, I can't say if that is from the boxing, or were they not right to start with.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Comment

Thanks Peter, if you could find that report, that would be awesome. Any other opinions?
      There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Comment

Here's one:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/..._00/matser.htm

I'm also interested in any research as I currently take boxing classes and would love to have an amateur fight under that ruleset for giggles. I've taken many good hits in kickboxing sparring too but have not noticed a reduction in my mental uh...

lost my train of thought... what is this thread about again?!!
        Now or never.

Comment

After viewing this thread i am now considering bjj~~~
          "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
          - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Comment

guess i better work on not getting hit as much :(
            totoro-san ... world sushi munching champion ...

Comment

Take instruction from a good kickboxing/MT coach.
              Wear the headgear and tell him not to go hard to the head.
              Voice your concerns.
              You don't have to end up like Ali to learn a decent standup game.

Comment

Anything can happen when sparring but professional boxers generally end up like that because they are taking shots in the head during sparring and competition for 15-20 years....
                The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
                - Pizdoff

Comment

I've seen a few that got that way from only a few fights.
                  depends alot on the individual and the intensity of the shots he takes.
                  a guy I went to high school with was washed up at 19.
                  Sad because he was a pretty sharp kid.

Comment

FOM, where the hell did that sig come from?
                    ...lol.

Comment

:D
                      Its from a Futurama episode.
                      Everyone is sunbaking and the Professor is talking in his sleep.
                      The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
                      - Pizdoff

Comment

"After viewing this thread i am now considering bjj"

Wise choice. You can get to a decent level without becoming a jibbering shaking wreck, and you can win fights too.
                        "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
                        YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Comment

wear headgear, plus your a scientist and not a professional boxer, I'm sure you will not take enough of a beating to kill too many brain cells, in fact the amount you kill over a long period of time will probably be equal to a night of binge drinking.

Comment

This is a nothing issue. If you don't compete you won't find yourself in front of a person trying to hook your head off. Ever herd the term "gym wars"? No good trainer wants that shit in his gym. Go for it.

Comment

Yeah if you are a proffessional boxer or superheavyweight world champion then you may have something to worry about.

But if your just doing boxing 3 times a week for 1 and 1/2 hours each session, I wouldn't worry about it.Just train safely and ypu'll be fine.Boxing for 3, 2minute rounds once or twice a week is not going to hurt you much. There is alot of media driven hype about boxing and brain damage but even if you have a few amateaur fights you really have nothing to worry about. When I was boxing the guys I boxed with had more injuries from rugby and soccer training than from boxing. In other sports you usually get concussion,broken jaws,broken collar bones and legs,knee problems. With boxing, the wost you ever got was bleeding nose.
                              Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X