The future of Combat Gaming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The future of Combat Gaming?

Just saw this game simulator using Battlefield 3, looks pretty interesting. They even got a SAS guy to test it.

I wonder if ever it will get too realistic and start blurring the lines too much.

Either way, I want one.

It'll be a fantastic gaming experience but also i could see the merit in using it for supplemental military or law enforcement training if the technology takes off. Much like a flight or driving simulator.

Look at Police Quest/Blue Force or the ARMA games, they were used for training and recruitment purposes for the police and army.

I reckon it'd be a big draw for those gamers who are too fat and nerdy to even play paintball or airsoft ha!!

Comment

I want to see a game where if you get hit, you get an electric shock to the corresponding boby part...wii Taser

Comment

Originally posted by doofaloofa View Post
        I want to see a game where if you get hit, you get an electric shock to the corresponding boby part...wii Taser
        I remember some kind of laser tag game from like 12 years ago that had something like that, you wore a vest type dealy and it vibrated when you got hit, can't remember if it shocked you as well.

Comment

How do you mean by 'blur the lines." All of the important experiences of combat can't realistically be simulated on a screen. Atmosphere, nerves, confusion, stress, are all brought about by elements that can't realistically be simulated by a computer and certainly have a nil effect when one is not actually present to be immersed in the experience. This is why many combat veterans roll their eyes when attending live fire training by people who only teach, don't actually deploy (SF) let alone digital training. I just can't see how any technology could accurately represent those intangibles.

Comment

Originally posted by daishi View Post
            How do you mean by 'blur the lines." All of the important experiences of combat can't realistically be simulated on a screen. Atmosphere, nerves, confusion, stress, are all brought about by elements that can't realistically be simulated by a computer and certainly have a nil effect when one is not actually present to be immersed in the experience. This is why many combat veterans roll their eyes when attending live fire training by people who only teach, don't actually deploy (SF) let alone digital training. I just can't see how any technology could accurately represent those intangibles.
            Your coming at it from the wrong angle, for someone who has experience real combat I am sure this is nothing like it and even now it easy to make a clear distinction, I am talking about immersive environments that at some point down the track, and not just with this, people might have trouble mentally keeping whats real and whats a game distinct. Unplugging so to speak, case in point, look at how carried away the ninjers get in their own little fantasy.

Comment

That SAS dude's clearing was badass.

Comment

shit that would be awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Volya View Post
                  I remember some kind of laser tag game from like 12 years ago that had something like that, you wore a vest type dealy and it vibrated when you got hit, can't remember if it shocked you as well.
                  I'm thinking a good hard bolt to numb an arm etc.
                  The fear of being hurt would add a new layer of realism to the gaming experiance

Comment

Originally posted by Auszi View Post
                    I wonder if ever it will get too realistic and start blurring the lines too much.
                    Gaming and warfare have always gone hand in hand.
                    '“I am no advocate of passivity,” Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. “Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.”'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

....not saying that training is without its benefits...just saying that it would take some significant tech advancements to simulate the intangibles, which tend to be critical. Cool tech, would like to see it advance.

Comment

The lines already start to blur in terms of mentally unstable people playing combat games. I know this first hand as i used to play at a internet gaming place. Some of the people who were in there were already nuts, they'd talk about the game like it was real life and live out fantasies of being elite military tactitions. The more realistic it gets the more those type of people fall into their own delusions. Of course it's a small percentage of people but still.

Comment

Your playing that, then lightning strikes and your stuck in the game. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Auszi View Post
                            You must now watch the movie Existenz.

Comment

I don't really think so?

I live in Australia where games classified as "too violent" are taken off the shelves (e.g. the new Mortal Kombat) or a "cleaner" version is sold (e.g. Left 4 Dead 2 where chopped off limbs turn into a pile of pixels immediately). Even though we are now trying to lift the ban and introduce a 'M18+' rating, concerned mothers still flock the forums in protest of us turning their innocent little flowers into terminators.

However, I personally think, and what research conducted have shown, is that a small sector of people whether playing combat games or cooking games, would end up gaining a sense of grandeur and skill which they don't possess. Its basically Mr. Joe Blow who goes to karate once a week and thinks he's a master.

Btw, that dude in the video is a bada$$.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X