SD,CA blackout; apocolypse is here yes it is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Grow vegies guys. Its the only way to be sure!
    Most people here in Oklahoma have had no vegies in their gardens. They watered, and the plants are green an bushy.

I don't hunt, but, the deer population is getting a little more scarce because of the drought. Alot of our lakes are dried up and our rivers were already dry.

LOL, No fish, no hunt, no vegies. Atleast we're not on fire like our southern sister.

I do have a bunch of dogs though,,,,,,,,,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Sorekara View Post
      Most people here in Oklahoma have had no vegies in their gardens. They watered, and the plants are green an bushy.

I don't hunt, but, the deer population is getting a little more scarce because of the drought. Alot of our lakes are dried up and our rivers were already dry.

LOL, No fish, no hunt, no vegies. Atleast we're not on fire like our southern sister.

I do have a bunch of dogs though,,,,,,,,,,,,
      Time to start hunting the smaller and weaker humans in Oklahoma. Also if you find stinging nettle than your green veggie problems are solved.

Comment

Originally posted by HereBeADragon View Post

Btw if anyone wants to read a really great permaculture book I'd check out "Sepp Holzer's Permaculture"
        So after you posted this I went out and read this book. Prior to you posting about this I had never heard the term "permaculture" and was curious about it.

The book was an interesting read and I find the concept fascinating. I was curious though as to weather there was a slightly more mainstream version of permaculture? Read that as slightly less hippy ish for lack of a better word. In that I appreciate the concept of sustaiability and organics on a persoanl level but like to read about it sans the constant hippy, love the planet, hate big aggriculture, rhetoric.

Comment

My friend is big into the permaculture thing and is the Director/Founder of the Asia-Pacific Center for Regenerative Design, here's his blog.
          http://thegreenbackpack.net/
          I'm sure you can find some useful info or links there.
          If not i can ask him for some reading primers if you'd like.

Comment

I never imagined I'd be talking about permaculture on bullshido!

the way I look at it is why grow a plant with no use other than it looks nice, when you can grow a different plant in its place that is usefull and looks nice

West Cork is full of hippies that have turned permaculture into a bit of a religion, but the basic premise of it is sound and quite sensible

I am not sure about some of the no till ideas, but then I've never tried them out either, as I can get most of our veggies and plenty of exersize by digging the garden

Comment

Well, fruit, foliage, flower, novelty is the standard adage in landscape architecture when deciding what plants to use.

You might be interested in ancient Hawai'ian practices.
              They used a sophisticated system of aqueducts, taro "lo'i" and fish ponds all in a sustainable, symbiotic and regenerative system.

Comment

Originally posted by jnp View Post
                Texas is going up in flames and your worrying about a bunch of surfboard hugging, wine drinking bleach blonde hippies being in the dark for a day?

That's okay. We'll just be over here, on fire.
                Just to clarify for you there...SD isn't like LA or Frisco. Its A LOT like Austin, (but actually more conservative) they just have a beach. I lived in the ATX for the last 17 years and there's 10 times as many hippies in Austin than San Diego, they just tend to hug their bikes alot more than their surfboards.
                That being said. Yes we will be OK in TX because we are Texans, not Californians. We suck it up, nut up and persevere. Quit bitching and get back to pissing on that fire with me and the rest of the Texans before our state turns to ash. (Yes I can say that, I've been helping out at with the fires around Houston all week.)

Comment

Originally posted by dflanmod View Post
                  So after you posted this I went out and read this book. Prior to you posting about this I had never heard the term "permaculture" and was curious about it.

The book was an interesting read and I find the concept fascinating. I was curious though as to weather there was a slightly more mainstream version of permaculture? Read that as slightly less hippy ish for lack of a better word. In that I appreciate the concept of sustaiability and organics on a persoanl level but like to read about it sans the constant hippy, love the planet, hate big aggriculture, rhetoric.
                  Check out "Gaia's Garden" still a little hippyish but its a good premise with a lot of information about setting up permaculture gardens and "food forests."

Comment

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Comment

So back on topic here.

I was talking to this girl at work about the power outage.

Her: the power outage sucked, I could'nt cook any food.

Me: Why not? You have an electric stove?

Her: no it's gas but it would not turn on.

Me: it's an electric pilot, you just have to light it with a match.

Her: Oh, duh. I did'nt know that.

Me: You're not going to survive the coming apocolypse.

Comment

Its amazing/frightening how quickly the basics break down when the power doesn't work. I cannot imagine how batshit an area like LA would become if utilities were disrupted for an extended period of time, hell look what happens when the Lakers win. I used to live in the mountains and every winter we had power outages. Almost every storm we lost power for a while, sometimes 3 days at a time. Fireplace is your friend and the snow makes a great refrigeration system.

I think we need to begin rethinking utilities. Hybrid systems that produce and even recycle resources on site coupled with a decentralized supply grid. I see a lot of potential in the "Bloombox" as a step in that direction. http://www.bloomenergy.com/

Comment

I installed solar panels on my house in Austin when I bought it, (and sold it for more because of it) and had a rainwater collection system for non potable water. (read watering the yard etc.)
                          I was able to keep my lawn green when other people around me had what looked like a straw mat for a front yard. Of course it took 2.5 years to collect enough water to last me one summer with the way the weather goes in Austin. So yeah, hybrid energy sources are a good thing. but they are not the be all end all.

Comment

Originally posted by dflanmod View Post
                            So back on topic here.

I was talking to this girl at work about the power outage.

Her: the power outage sucked, I could'nt cook any food.

Me: Why not? You have an electric stove?

Her: no it's gas but it would not turn on.

Me: it's an electric pilot, you just have to light it with a match.

Her: Oh, duh. I did'nt know that.

Me: You're not going to survive the coming apocolypse.
                            Is she blond?

Comment

I'm seriously considering some kind of rain water colector
                              The irish Gvt are stealthyly planning to put a tax on private wells via water metering

Fuck them, it cost me €4000 with one thing and another

A 3000 litre tank and collector will cost me approx €1000 to build
                              Supply in Ireland is no problem, and as an added bonus it will be gravity fed, so when the electric pump is not available we can still flush the jacks
                              Rain water can be drunk, but if you rely on it a source of dietry iodine is required, or you or your kids may becom Cretins.(I suspect some posters need some seaweed in thier diet)

Do you still get those round circular wind pumps in USA etc. like in the movies?

Comment

Originally posted by HereBeADragon View Post
                                Its amazing/frightening how quickly the basics break down when the power doesn't work. I cannot imagine how batshit an area like LA would become if utilities were disrupted for an extended period of time, hell look what happens when the Lakers win. I used to live in the mountains and every winter we had power outages. Almost every storm we lost power for a while, sometimes 3 days at a time. Fireplace is your friend and the snow makes a great refrigeration system.

I think we need to begin rethinking utilities. Hybrid systems that produce and even recycle resources on site coupled with a decentralized supply grid. I see a lot of potential in the "Bloombox" as a step in that direction. http://www.bloomenergy.com/
                                I have a friend who lives in the mountains near Arnold, CA. He gets outages for days, with snow piled high everywhere.

Over here we are pretty lucky weather wise.
                                My uncle is building an off the grid house on a remote stretch of Hawai'i island, using this stuff.
                                http://www.outbackpower.com/

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X