Hi-jacked songs, and stolen lyrics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-jacked songs, and stolen lyrics

Here's a thread to express how you feel about bands that took material that wasn't theirs. How do you balance the greatness of their original works, against their disregard, at other times, for intellectual property.

Bullies?
    sigpic

Oasis. Is there anything they didn't steal? This is their most blatant.

This is their most hilarious.

Not to mention stealing everything from style, music and attitude from the Beatles but without the talent.

Comment

New arrangements of older music can be pretty cool. I like to try to play other peoples music. I understand trade marks and copyrights but good music should live forever to truly honor the author. The world needs to hear the old stuff re-interpeted or played like the original.

Comment

"Borrowing" can be done with style, but usually isn't - classical music was rife with that. What can get me fuming is when commercials use ever-so-slightly changed versions of songs so as to dodge paying royalties to the artists in question. I think there's a term for that kind of pretending-not-to-plagiarize but can't remember it at the moment.

Regards,
        Lars

Comment

all songs written by led zeppelin, my *ass*!

we need to fix the video enbedding tag, that was way too hard to do.
          "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
          "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
          "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
          "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Here's another Led Zeppelin lift:

(edit) not an exact copy, but shall we say "strikingly similar"
            Last edited by submessenger; 8/29/2011 10:53am, . Reason: clarification
            Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by LarsCG View Post
              "Borrowing" can be done with style, but usually isn't - classical music was rife with that. What can get me fuming is when commercials use ever-so-slightly changed versions of songs so as to dodge paying royalties to the artists in question. I think there's a term for that kind of pretending-not-to-plagiarize but can't remember it at the moment.

Regards,
              Lars
              Tom Waits is well known being one of the first musicians to sue companies for using insignificantly altered versions of his music for their comercials after he denied official permission for the song's use.

Comment

What are we talking about here? Covers? Or the old days before copywriting when you could just take another dude's shit and record it like you wrote it and the original writer had to take it in the ass?

Comment

Peter Tosh has been known to bitch and moan that Bob Marley took credit for his songs, but that Tosh wasn't as popular because he was too black (because Bob was only half black, he was more accepted by a larger audience). I think its silly because I don't think the majority of people realized that Bob was half white.

Bob Andy wrote several reggae songs that were redone by other musicians, but you don't hear about him often. OTOH I think some of the remakes are better than his originals. For example: original:

remake:

I like Levy's version more, but its basically the same song just done more cleanly.

Comment

Muse. They haven't copied anyone specifically but their entire back catalogue is a mishmash of whatevers cool at the time, initially they sound good but listen to all of their stuff and it's obvious how gutless they actually are.
                    Ne Obliviscaris

Comment

No Led Zeppelin band member would argue that their roots are steeped in jazz and blues. All the British rock bands from their era were obsessed with "black music". I don't think that makes them thieves. They took a lot of those guitar riffs and songs and elevated them to another level.

Here's the real reason I posted in this thread: http://www.cracked.com/article_19423...5Bcomic5D.html

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                        No Led Zeppelin band member would argue that their roots are steeped in jazz and blues. All the British rock bands from their era were obsessed with "black music". I don't think that makes them thieves. They took a lot of those guitar riffs and songs and elevated them to another level.
                        yeah, that's why they put "all songs written by led zeppelin" on their first album, and that's why it took lawsuits for the guys they stole from to get paid.

right.

i like led zeppelin too, but they were thieves, they weren't even very clever about it, and they got caught.
                        "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
                        "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
                        "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
                        "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post

Here's the real reason I posted in this thread: http://www.cracked.com/article_19423...5Bcomic5D.html
                          Willie Dixon held copyrights to a song everyone's heard, that they made a ton of loot on. He sued, and they settled for big bank. why?

From: http://www.turnmeondeadman.com/index...d=45&Itemid=55
                          Robert Plant also briefly quotes Howlin' Wolf at the end of "Whole Lotta Love" with the lines "Shake for me girl/I wanna be your back door man." Actually, Plant was once again quoting Willie Dixon, as both of the songs "Shake for Me" and "Back Door Man," though popularized by Howlin' Wolf, were written by Dixon. When the lawsuit was filed, a lawyer for the Led Zeppelin's record company, Atlantic Records, offered only the weak defense, "It's strange that someone would wait all that time [to file a suit]." The case was settled out of court and recent Led Zeppelin releases have given songwriting credit for "Whole Lotta Love" to Willie Dixon along with all four members of Led Zeppelin.
                          Though Led Zeppelin had no doubt heard Muddy Waters's version of "You Need Love", the version of this song that appears to have most directly influenced them was by the Small Faces. The Small Faces released "You Need Loving" in 1966 and despite the slight retitling, this track is a straightforward interpretation of "You Need Love" that stays close to Muddy Waters' version. "You Need Loving" was credited to "Lane/Marriot," demonstrating that Led Zeppelin weren't the only ones who were reluctant to give proper songwriting credit.
                          I think I remember a Buddy Guy interview, where he said if Willie played bass on a track, sometimes, in the early days, he got a co-write. I'll look, but still, if you hold the copyright, and someone jacks it, that's actionable-at-law.

The correct way is to license it, or to offer a co-write for a substantially but not completely changed version of a preexisting song.

This isn't about cover bands rocking the classics, this thread was intended to be about taking and claiming as original (that's what a copyright impies), someone else's shit.

The Led got out a lot of unleaded material. I admire what they earned...but the covers should have been put out there as just that. Oasis are horrible. What's that track where it starts off with the exact piano arrangement for Imagine?

A great song, but did you have to use the exact piano riff guys? It's such a blatant quote, that the beatlesque chord changes, and assumed demeanor are just added insult. That intro is a motif, and though not protected, so obvious, for a Beatles wannabe act, that it's demeaning to the audience. Get your own intro....

EDIT: If nothing else, invert the chords, or change the key...but C, F with that inversion is forever attached to a certain legendary and iconic recording.
                          Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 8/29/2011 6:43pm, .
                          sigpic

Comment

The music for everything this furry ever sang.

Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Hilarious overlayed audio. This dumbass didn't even bother changing the tempo.
                              sigpic

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X