American Fighters and Religion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Fighters and Religion.

Why is it that so many US fighters thanks God and Jesus after winning fights, and talk about how he has a 'plan' for them to succeed in the sport?

Is this a typical for Americans in general or is it more specific to American fighters?

Religion is incomprehensible to me anyway but I especially don't understand the logic behind 'God, likes me better than this guy'.

Can any US bullies shed some light?

It's religion, it's not going to make any sense regardless of what sport or country it's set in.

Comment

I'd wager Evangelical Christianity is a lot more popular here than most (all) places. Jesus Didn't Tap! :-/

Comment

Its Murikah boy! You wouldn't understand. Though you should be glad that God had a plan for us to save your ass from ze Germans.

Comment

Has anyone ever blamed God for a loss ?.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickko View Post
            Has anyone ever blamed God for a loss ?.
            I blame god for this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuchulain View Post
              Why is it that so many US fighters thanks God and Jesus after winning fights, and talk about how he has a 'plan' for them to succeed in the sport?

Is this a typical for Americans in general or is it more specific to American fighters?

Religion is incomprehensible to me anyway but I especially don't understand the logic behind 'God, likes me better than this guy'.

Can any US bullies shed some light?
              God watches UFC, and apparently every imaginable music award.
              God was disappointed that Catwoman did not get an oscar.
              I am to spread HIS word that Halle Berry in tight leather is a GOOD thing.
              Last edited by Sri Hanuman; 3/24/2011 8:59am, .

Comment

I blame god for you and the OP.

all seriousness, Christianity is taken much more seriously here than most parts of Europe. By seriously, I mean seriously construed in a very specific way to fulfill egos and agendas.

I think its hilariously ironic that apparently multiple fighters feel god has a plan for them to succeed in the sport, when god also created this sport where only a select few can succeed by winning against the guy who isn't succeeding.

Its kinda like going to any sort of race and 10 people claiming god has a plan for them to finish top 3. 7 people are lying in one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by dwkfym View Post
                  Its kinda like going to any sort of race and 10 people claiming god has a plan for them to finish top 3.
                  Ever been to a NASCAR?

Comment

It isn't just the U.S. Wanderlei Silva has almost the entire New Testament tattoed on his upper torso, and at least once in PRIDE thanked God for protecting him throughout his career (this was translated from Portugese by commentator Renzo Gracie, who added 'de devil watch out for the odder guy!').

Any way, why does a fighter thanking the Good Lord bother folks? Dan Hardy does interviews about his belief in spiritual New Age thingamustuff, Genki Sudo was pretty adamant that "We Are All One", Jeff Monsoon believes...a bunch of really strange things (even by New Age thingamastuff standards), but I've never seen any Christian MMA fans posting about how they're all going to burn in Hell because of it, or been tempted to do so myself.
                    (Not saying it's not out there, because the Internet is a big place.)

Comment

I'm fairly sure that God had a plan for me to be the UFC middleweight champion, unfortunately he has punished me for being an agnostic atheist by making me fairly successful in the not for profit sector instead.

Comment

I'd wager that part of it is pandering to the audience. If I won a fight in, let's say, the South, I might thank God just to get on the good side of everyone there. Maybe even sweetening the deal by saying something complimentary about America, and the troops overseas. Then do that Hulk Hogan listening move

I'd be pretty shocked if the Christianity/thanking God thing wasn't popular among Brazilian fighters as well.

Comment

@ Permalost
                          Don't forget the Russians, Fedor has his own Eastern Orthodox priest traveling with him everywhere he goes. Also, if you employed those tactics I for would mark out every time. Every. Single. Time.

@ Whoever asked about fighters blaming God for a loss:
                          Saw an interview where Roger Huerta said something like:
                          "I had all the tools to become a UFC champion...I guess God has a different plan for my life."

My thoughts on the matter? I agree with the Croatian Sensation.
                          "God doesn't give us a destiny...he gives us the free will to make our own choices."
                          Pat Miletich

Comment

I'm just curious as to how fellow Americans percieve this kind of thing. Does it make you cringe or is it just completely normal?

Over here if someone were to say 'Thank you to my Lord and saviour Jesus christ' they'd be thought of as a religious nut.

I'm well aware that America as a whole is a much more Religious place than over here, but I thought that was just the uneducated, xenophobic, Bible belt.

But what shocks me is how often the person saying these things is an eloquent, intellegent, well adjusted adult. For instance Jon Jones the other night.

p.s Yeah, It's definitely a common Brazillian thing too.

Originally posted by Vince
                            Any way, why does a fighter thanking the Good Lord bother folks? Dan Hardy does interviews about his belief in spiritual New Age thingamustuff, Genki Sudo was pretty adamant that "We Are All One"
                            Like I said I don't understand the logic behind believing that God would give a shit as to whether one particular person is deserving of winning something.

Genki Sudo's 'We are all one' is surely just trying to promote equality. I don't see how that can be compared to what we are talking about.

What was the Dan Hardy new age thing? I don't remember that?
                            Last edited by Cuchulain; 3/24/2011 9:49am, .

Comment

Surely it would make more sense for fighters to praise war gods instead? "Turn the other cheek" is a tough act to follow for an MMA fighter I would have thought... not sure if this has been posted before but I just found an unusual link: Christjutsu

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X