Countering the stiff arm defense...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Countering the stiff arm defense...

What is the best way to get past stiff arms when you are attempting to pass guard? They're generally pushing at my knees or sometimes hips. Sometimes I can sit through to kesa gatame while controlling that arm, but I'm not a big kesa fan. Is controlling the arm and going to knee on belly good? I always forget to try that out when it's happening.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

be sure to control their head/upper body as you come around their legs
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

Superman guard pass.

Comment

I just had to say your new avatar is the best ever. I'm goin to have a hard time *cough cough* not thinking of it tonight...
        Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

I'm talking about the "basic" guard pass, where one arm is on the shoulder and you're controlling the other leg. I grip the collar around the throat area with the arm that has its leg on the shoulder. Any other grips recommended? I kept getting past the guard and then being put right back in it because of the damn stiff arming. I could take mount, but I don't like mount. I'd end up taking it, then trying to transition back to side control, and then getting put back in guard in the transition.

Comment

Wrist lock.

Comment

The traditional throw I've seen in judo(where you put your foot in his stomach and do a backwards somersalt while holding on to his wrists)may work. I hope I described it well enough. or, if it's allowed, grab his left wrist w/your left hand and scoop your right underneath his left arm and put your shoulder underneath that arm, locking the arm and bend and step forward at the same time. REverse the arm/hand position if you are a lefty.

Comment

Originally posted by JurassicWarrior
                The traditional throw I've seen in judo(where you put your foot in his stomach and do a backwards somersalt while holding on to his wrists)may work. I hope I described it well enough. or, if it's allowed, grab his left wrist w/your left hand and scoop your right underneath his left arm and put your shoulder underneath that arm, locking the arm and bend and step forward at the same time. REverse the arm/hand position if you are a lefty.

Fucking newbs!!!!

Read more carefully!!!!

Be great to throw somebody if they were still standing. The throw you're looking for is Tomae Nage.

Comment

[email protected]'s last post. I dont think that guy was serious man.

You can go for a canopener also. Just cup your hands and grap the back of his head, close to the top, and pull his chin to his chest. At the least his arms will get off your hips, going instead to defend his neck and head. If that doesn't open his legs you at least can grab his biceps and create space to work on passing.

An even BETTER question would be the defense against the "stiff one-eye".
                  "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Comment

Mikus,
                    The best counter is the "earthquake". Say you're coming around to his right with your left hand grabbing his collar and he blocks your hip. Shake your hips (i.e. turn the plain of your hips) and your opponent shouldn't be able to continue blocking your pass. I'm not sure if this makes sense - it's hard to describe in writing.

P.S Make sure you drive his knee to his nose before moving to the side which should make it more uncomfortable for him and not allow him to turn into you and block your hip as effectively.

Comment

Aren't these names cute?

Comment

Blame Rigan Machado, he made that name up !

Comment

Okay, next time I see him I'll harass him.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyS
                            Mikus,
                            The best counter is the "earthquake". Say you're coming around to his right with your left hand grabbing his collar and he blocks your hip. Shake your hips (i.e. turn the plain of your hips) and your opponent shouldn't be able to continue blocking your pass. I'm not sure if this makes sense - it's hard to describe in writing.

P.S Make sure you drive his knee to his nose before moving to the side which should make it more uncomfortable for him and not allow him to turn into you and block your hip as effectively.
                            Cool, thanks a lot.

And PD didn't read the question well either! hahaha. no one pays attention.

Comment

Johnny, if I'm coming around to his right, I turn my hips clockwise, right? I actually tried this sometimes (though admittedly, not as much as I should've) and it'd get his hand off for a second or two but then he'd put it back. Am I doing something wrong or is it a matter of getting the pin the second that he loses the hand?

Tim Cartmell shows using a "reverse" knee on belly mount (you use the opposite knee that you normally do) when coming around the guard at times, and then spinning around for a normal knee on belly. Do you recommend that at all?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X