The good w/the bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The good w/the bad

I'm new here. I have a Black belt in Uechi ryu and a little bit of taikwondo + aikido. I also wrestled in high school. I have a couple of views and would like some input. I'm not out to say I'm the King(at 5'6", 140 lbs that can be difficult) or that
    bad ass styles prevail over new agey ones or that "The way will lead you to a better life. Before I type in more nonsense than I already have, I will say that I am a firm believer in any preparation is better than none, whether this means taking a form of unarmed combat, getting a gun, a large dog, etc. This refers to the self as well as your car, home, and anything else. I know that a picture perfect kata or form won't help if you are being carjacked. But I do know that the best self defense is common sense. Everything has its' place.
    The karateka practices his kata. The Boxer shadowboxes and the wrestler works on his drills etc. I actually got the idea of preparation from John Perkin's book ATTACK PROOF.
    Albeit I disagree w/a lot of what he says(i.e pocketing for a punch, not blocking that everyone is out ther to kill you, etc),
    he does have some common sense. Trying to kick like Vandamme will get you flat on your ass. get a cell phone.
    This brings me to my other subject, reading material on said preparation. I do read Black Belt magazine as it covers the whole spectrum from the karate way of life to NHB fighter styles to hard core self defense in addition to interesting articles, such as the one about extreme opponents. This means someone who is more than 50 LBS on you or a foot taller or more, or both. My collection of reading material ranges from Gichin Funakoshi's book Karate do, Uechi Ryu and the Mysteries of Okinawa, Okinawan karate styles, to other misc books as Living The Martial Way. and I have the Other side, which includes John Perkin's book, Ned Beumaont's books on Boxing as a martial art for streetfighters, and his wrestling book as well, which describe him as someone who take out people who try to use karate, jujutsu or some other Asian art. I have more books from other authors on the way. as I think it's a good idea to have one main system and be able to absorb ideas from others.

What?

Comment

What?
      LOL
      You can read my mind!
      The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
      - Pizdoff

Comment

Before I bother to read all of that, is it worth my time?
        Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
        "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

I'm not sure what the actual point of the initial post was.

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

excellent post. very thought provoking. I'm not sure about what, I think I'll go grab a sandwich.

Comment

I'm lost. Can't figure the point of the post also.

Comment

it's one of those hidden eye pictures
                  you have to blur your eys and scroll down while backing up.

ooohh, it's a Rutabaga!
                  NEAT-O!
                  Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
                  -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Comment

WHat is the questionor point he was trying to make ?

And why will kicking like Van Damm get you killed? I think if you successfully landed a kick like that to the side of the head or kneecap, you opponant would not be very happy for long.
                    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

I didn.t say that it will get you killed. I just saw it in a book. Personally, I wouldn.'t attempt it (kicking in the head)on a standing opponent. The kneecap is a different story. If you can get away w/kicking someone in the head, by all means do. a 28 inch inseam generally doesn't permit me that privelege. Unless his head is low already.

Comment

Ok, I read the initial post 3 times and concluded that you accidently copy-pasted your MA CV instead of you question. LMAO

Comment

Re: The good w/the bad

Originally posted by JurassicWarrior
                          . I actually got the idea of preparation from John Perkin's book ATTACK PROOF.
                          Albeit I disagree w/a lot of what he says(i.e pocketing for a punch, not blocking that everyone is out ther to kill you, etc),
                          he does have some common sense.
                          I see.

Comment

Two seperate thoughts:

1) I am truly hoping this guy does some kind of dinosaur kung fu. When I was a kid I used to imitate dinosaurs all the time.
                            Incidentally, I also attended the "special" classes in school.

2)He's invoking perkins name and attempting to summon his ghost through a combination of alistair crowley's secret writings and ancient "native american" rituals.

"The only important elements in any society
                            are the artistic and the criminal,
                            because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
                            can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Comment

Those are some funny quotes. I know reading books wont make you a better fighter. but you may see a new way to use somethign you already know.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X