Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brainteaser 2: The Sequel

A 52 Card Conundrum

I'm going to hand you a deck of normal playing cards-- 52 cards and no jokers. You're going to be placed into a darkened room. You'll also be blindfolded, and you'll be naked. The deck of cards will have 13 of the 52 cards turned face up. They're all mixed up in the deck. You don't know where they are. And you can't tell. Your challenge is to arrange the cards in two piles so that each pile has the same number of cards facing up.

If you've heard this before, please refrain from spoiling the fun, at least for a little while.

I don't know what being naked has to do with this puzzle. I have never heard this one before but, how can you split 13 cards between two piles evenly?

Comment

I haven't seen it before either, but he said "the same number of cards facing up", which is
      not necessarily 13.

Not that I know how to solve this...
      The vast Universe!
      The Way of Aiki to to become
      The light of all mankind
      Opening all the world

--O Sensei

:gaygay:

Comment

CLUE: The two piles of cards you create do not have to be equal in number. In fact they can't be. Only the number of face-up cards has to be equal. So when you're all done you'll have two piles of cards, one of which will have 52 minus X and the other one will have X number of cards, and both of those piles will have an equal number of face-up cards. It doesn't have to be 13. It could be six cards face up. What you were thinking was that there had to be some way to divide the 13 face-up cards in half. So there's going to be six and a half cards, face-up cards in one pile. In fact, it's entirely possible that when you're all done there will still be 13 face-up cards in one pile in the original deck. And the new pile will have 13 face-up cards.

Comment

Garbonzo, Is that picture really you?
          And is it altered or for real?
          Looks like somebody beat the shit out of Steve Bartek with a lead pipe.:(

Comment

It's me, and it is un-altered.

It is also bullshit.

My Halloween costume, you see.

Who is Steve Bartek?
            The vast Universe!
            The light of all mankind
            Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Comment

Guitar player and composer. Tall guy in the back.

Comment

Nice question.

For those still thinking, here's how I figured it out:

Think about a deck of 4 cards with 1 card face up. Then think about a deck of 8 cards with 2 cards face up...
                "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
                West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
                (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

Nice.

This is one where the answer is more of a brain teaser than the question.
                  The vast Universe!
                  The light of all mankind
                  Opening all the world

--O Sensei

Comment

after playing with a deck of cards for awhile i think i got it.

you deal 13 cards to form one a seperate deck. then you flip that deck over so then number of face up cards in that deck will be the same as the number of face up cards in the other deck with 39 cards.

for example if you have 8 face up cards in the 13 card deck and you flip it over then you have 5. if there was originally 8 cards in the 13 card deck, then there must be 5 in 39 card deck. it works for any number of face up cards in the 13 card deck.

Comment

well !?!??!

Comment

You're right. So what?
                        "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
                        West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
                        (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Comment

Three lights upstairs three switches downstairs.
                          How can you tell which switch controls which light with only one trip upstairs allowed?

Comment

just wanted to make sure

Comment

Originally posted by mike reese
                              Three lights upstairs three switches downstairs.
                              How can you tell which switch controls which light with only one trip upstairs allowed?
                              Turn on one lightswitch (1) wait a while turn it off turn another on (2) leaving one lightswitch alone (3). The light that is on upstairs is (2), the WARM lightbulb that is off is (1) and the switch you never touched is the "cold" lightbulb (3)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X