Fight life.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight life.

Now I was turning this idea over in my head about the fight life of MMA competitors. Is it a simple case of they turn 35 and then they cannot compete anymore ? Or is it shorter ? What exactly is the fight life of a proffesional martial arts fighter as opposed to a boxer ? Is money the main reason why fighters compete in boxing as opposed to kickboxing/martial arts ? Lets discuss.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

It depends on the person of course (see: Randy Couture), but 35 sounds like a reasonable average. As for the money thing, that also makes sense. I would say George Foreman would be a good example beause he's getting back into boxing but he made more money of his grills than he did while boxing, so he probably just like's getting hit in the head repeatedly. ;)
    "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

When you say "boxers", do you mean just the world champions, or even the crap 4-13-6 guys ? 98% of professional boxers around the world fight for peanuts.

Comment

I never thought of the guys at the bottom of the ladder. The same is true for MMA guys as well, taking fights for $50 (I read that in a Jeff Curran article in Ultimate Athlete magazine), probably less.
        "Prison is for rapists, thieves and murderers. If you lock someone up for smoking a plant that makes them happy, you're the fucking criminal." - Joe Rogan

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by chaosexmachina
            I never thought of the guys at the bottom of the ladder. The same is true for MMA guys as well, taking fights for $50 (I read that in a Jeff Curran article in Ultimate Athlete magazine), probably less.
            They are the bottom of the ladder, but the vast majority. The difference between boxing and MMA as per the original topic has to be found elsewhere, not in the money.
            Only a very limited few are going to make boxing their only job, and fewer are actually going to become rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Punisher
              What Punisher said.

Comment

it is like anything else, depends on the individual. Things like genetics play a part but a big factor is injury....

Comment

If MMA fighters would spend more time on TaiChi, and less time on Kickboxing, they'd have longer fight lives.
                  Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
                  "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Comment

TAI CHI PUSH!!

El Guapo says dance!

Comment

Yeah I suppose it depends on the individual, like in many sports.

I bet that some people would love to go proffesional in terms of martialarts or boxing yet they just may not be built for it physically or mentally. We all see the mega stars. The top 10 or 20 in the world making the big money. Yet what we don't see is the many many thousands beneath them who don't make it. And its not bacause they don't train as hard or are not as motivated, it maybe because they are not made to compete at the top level. Kind of like special forces units withi the military. It takes a special kind of person to do that sort of thing. Only 2% make it, 98% fail.

Lets face it. A champion is a champion,he has to have good allround athletic ability and a mental edge. There arn't many of them around and some of them only come once in a lifetime.
                      Last edited by Hannibal; 3/09/2004 12:18am, .
                      Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

It's true that the shelf life of the average Martial artist can be very short.one of my close friends is an ex-kick boxer and she hip problems, back problems, shin splint and other thing that go ouch in the night. That and an old boss of mine use to limp around work from the constant beating his shins would take from the constant kicking of hard surfaces just to strengthen his legs for kicks. I don't know about you guy's/Girl's but a life of pain in the pursuit of martial art. dose not sound too smart to me. Remember Yip Man And O' Sensei lived long full lives with out sacrificing their art's

Comment

Originally posted by EBMAS Jerry
                          I don't know about you guy's/Girl's but a life of pain in the pursuit of martial art. dose not sound too smart to me. Remember Yip Man And O' Sensei lived long full lives with out sacrificing their art's
                          Thanks for my new signature.

Comment

Very true indeed.

Comment

What, the fag-ass shit that's now my signature?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X