Human Magnets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human Magnets?

Today at the gym a guy (pro fighter) comes in and starts telling everybody about this magnet wrist band he has that helps the magnets in his body communicate.
    He said that the body is connected by magnets and this some way help him.

Has anybody heard about this?

The guy that owns the gym was laughing at him and I am thinking of selling him some snake oil unless somebody here can enlighten about his.
    King without a crown

"The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Comment

I've seen infomercials for magnetic bracelets. One of the things they show is a balance demo, where it seems they try to disbalance you without the bracelet, then put it on and repeat. First of all, I thought that you'd automatically be better the 2nd time because your body can identify and resist the force after it's already happened before. 2nd, obviously the person promoting it could be applying the pressure differently. I just don't see how a small magnet on you could improve your balance. If it was powerful enough to affect your whole body, you'd be ruining electronics everywhere you went. Speaking of which- since cell phones have been linked to brain cancer because of their electromagnetic field, to me it seems sketchy to keep a strong magnet on you at all times*.

*I am not a scientist

Comment

Yeah well, I guess you're right Permalost.

This guy bought one and has regretted it ever since.
        "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
        Spoiler:

Comment

Wrist band?

Pshaw, the guy needs to learn how to commit.

Comment

Sadly, pro athletes are not immune to superstition (cf. lucky underwear &c.). Magnetic bracelets are just one form of profiteering by exploitiing superstition, backed up with testimonials.
            [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
            [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
            “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Comment

I knew a guy who wore some sort of tiny solar panel on his wrist for health and he was convinced that it was helping him absorb solar energy and keeping him in perfect health. I would imagine it is the same kind of BS. Pseudo-science used to seperate stupid people from their money.

Comment

Originally posted by MMAMickey View Post
                Yeah well, I guess you're right Permalost.

This guy bought one and has regretted it ever since.
                myth busted!
                http://youtubeskeptic.wordpress.com/...gnetic-people/

Comment

Lol the Powerbands. They have a 'hologram' that changes the energy meridians in your body or some shit lol, the explanation changes everytime.

I know a guy who sells them and a bunch of my mates through Judo and poker have bought some off him.

They're a massive pile of shit and all the 'tests' are based on cold reading and suggestion.

I called bullshit on this in a pub and one of them told me to do a test. Where they made me stand on one leg and hold my arms out in a crucifix position. I knew skullduggery was afoot so when he pressed on my arm for the non powerband test I stayed as strong as possible. When he put the powerband on me which is supposed to improve your balance and pushed down on my arm I deliberately bent sideways and stumbled half-falling into a table.

Seriously if you ever get 'tested' by these jokers cheat yourself, because you know they're cheating somehow even if you don't know how.

See a variant on the poweband bullshittery exposed here:
                  YouTube - Richard Saunders takes the Eken Power Bands test
                  sigpic

Comment

sounds like he got trolled by 4chan.

Comment

From http://www.powerbalance.com/australia/ca

Originally posted by powerbalance.com
                      In our advertising we stated that Power Balance wristbands improved your strength, balance and flexibility.

We admit that there is no credible scientific evidence that supports our claims and therefore we engaged in misleading conduct in breach of s52 of the Trade Practices Act 1974.

If you feel you have been misled by our promotions, we wish to unreservedly apologise and offer a full refund.

To obtain a refund please visit our website www.powerbalance.com.au or contact us toll-free on 1800 733 436

This offer will be available until 30th June 2011. To be eligible for a refund, together with return postage, you will need to return a genuine Power Balance product along with proof of purchase (including credit card records, store barcodes and receipts) from an authorised reseller in Australia.

This Corrective Notice has been paid for by Power Balance Australia Pty Ltd and placed pursuant to an undertaking to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission given under section 87B of the Trade Practices Act, 1974.

People believe this stuff. Ugh.

Comment

The powerbands make your chi-balls moar powerful!! My chi balls are HUGE using the powerbands. So big, in fact, that Dillman comes to me to learn his techniques!
                        I feel like you eye-bawlin' me, dawg!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X