How does homeopathy work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tideliar View Post

The doctors say ban it. The Commons select committee says ban it. The government says no because it's popular. Fucking. Morons.
    This is craziness but I do understand their position. That position is to keep getting reelected. Keeping the stupid people happy is their job because that is what the stupid people want their job to be.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

This reminds me of something I heard once: "What do you call natural remedies that have been subjected to double blind studies and other scientific tests and proven effective and safe? Medicine." Natural remedies are good. I use buttermilk, kefir, and ginger when my stomach gets sufficiently screwed up, and cinnamon has shown some promise with Type 2 diabetes. Homeopathy is crap.

Comment

On the plus side, it only costs the NHS about 4m a year, which is a drop in the ocean really.

On the minus... for fuck's sake.
        Originally posted by childofthe80s View Post
        This reminds me of something I heard once: "What do you call natural remedies that have been subjected to double blind studies and other scientific tests and proven effective and safe? Medicine."
        YouTube - Homeopathy & Nutritionists vs Real Science!

Edit: Get in the fecking sack.
        Last edited by Lu Tze; 10/14/2010 4:07pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Lu Tze View Post
          On the plus side, it only costs the NHS about 4m a year, which is a drop in the ocean really.

On the minus... for fuck's sake.YouTube - Homeopathy & Nutritionists vs Real Science!

Edit: Get in the fecking sack.
          Oh man, I love that video so much.
          I was just waiting for someone to post it.

Comment

Yeah, that fucking drives me crazy...

From The Daily Telegraph:

"The Commons Science and Technology Committee said there is no evidence the drugs are any more effective than a placebo - the same as taking a sugar or dummy pill and believing it works...Last month, doctors attending the British Medical Association (BMA) annual conference backed this view, saying homeopathic remedies should be banned on the NHS and taken off pharmacy shelves where they are sold as medicines...The treatment was described as "nonsense on stilts" and that patients would be better off buying bottled water
            There's been US Army studies on the placebo effect that imply that the more invasive the procedure is the more effective the placebo is. So basically: Pill < Suppository < Injection < Surgery. (Yes, they did placebo surgeries.) Basically, they found that placebo surgeries to be extremely effective in 'correcting' or at least improving a condition. I can't find the original study at the moment, but here's a related placebo surgery trial involving brain surgery.

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/61/4/412

I'd say drinking (what you believe to be) small amounts of a poison in water might fit in between injection and surgery in terms of placebo treatment.

Fucking morons. Utter. Fucking. Morons.

The doctors say ban it. The Commons select committee says ban it. The government says no because it's popular. Fucking. Morons.
            Yeah, it's stupid, but I'm not a big fan of governments trying to regulate behavior, either. Last I checked, people were allowed to be stupid. Now if someone starts yelling fraud and files suit... well... that's completely different.

Comment

Banned from the NHS.

And I've no problem with a government regulating what can and cannot be called medicine.

Comment

Ah. That makes much more sense. I thought they were talking about an outright ban and the UK socialized medicine thing hadn't quite dawned on me yet. There's no way you should have to pay for someone's diluted crap.

And that video with the 'doctors' earlier... my god that's scary. I would have serious issues taking any kind of advice that hinges on education, medical or otherwise, when they're trying to talk science and can't comprehend the difference between mass and volume.

Comment

dang big pharm is totally missing the boat
                  Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Come on, aren't you even half tempted to tick the financial/business one?

Comment

I inoculated my children from ever believing in homeopathy; I explained to them how it was supposed to work, and they both looked at me like I was making it up - no way could actual adults believe in something so stupid!

Comment

My step mother keeps offerring / giving me homeopathic remedies. She has a freaking pharmacy. It's kind of offensive.

After my cancer surgery she told me that some homeo-doctor prescribed eating 6 almonds a day because they are anti-cancer.

I love her, but she's stupid.
                        "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by tao.jonez View Post
                          My step mother keeps offerring / giving me homeopathic remedies. She has a freaking pharmacy. It's kind of offensive.

After my cancer surgery she told me that some homeo-doctor prescribed eating 6 almonds a day because they are anti-cancer.

I love her, but she's stupid.
                          So what would happen if say you ate 5 or 7 almonds a day?

Comment

Originally posted by tao.jonez View Post
                            It's kind of offensive.

Holy shit ...

I am so sorry ...

:(

*edit*

I mean, I am sorry you got cancer ,,, that's a :( too ..

I was seriously trying to be empathic about having to deal with people who love you but give you advice like " well just eat six almonds a day " .

You can't punch her ! She is your mother ... that must be seriously frustrating
                            Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 10/20/2010 9:38am, .
                            “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
                            BILL HICKS,
                            1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                            ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by wetware View Post
                              Basically, they found that placebo surgeries to be extremely effective in 'correcting' or at least improving a condition. I can't find the original study at the moment, but here's a related placebo surgery trial involving brain surgery.
                              I've heard this too. Interestingly I heard also that placebo surgeries are effective even if patients are told they are placebo surgeries, which is all kinds of fucked up.
                              Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by hpr View Post
                                I've heard this too. Interestingly I heard also that placebo surgeries are effective even if patients are told they are placebo surgeries, which is all kinds of fucked up.
                                The study I linked to shows the opposite on 12 month quality of life follow ups. Those who were told that they received a placebo surgery rate their quality of life in regard to their disease as lower whether they received the actual surgery or not.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X