Gi chokes on street clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gi chokes on street clothing

I have been learning a few gi chokes and have been told that it can work on street clothing.

I can see how they might work on jackets and buttoned shirts but, would it work on a t-shirt? Maybe cause I have cheap shirts but they always rip when I try a gi choke on one.

Any one with experience using these types of chokes on something other than a gi?

If you get a good grip, most will work great on ALMOST any clothes, I have a fondness for "juji":

Comment

T-Shirts are tough - you need to really take out the slack when you grab the neck of it.

If I would normally put my right hand across the throat to grab deep on the left side of their neckwith the gi - with a t-shirt I would actually grab it first on the right hand side of their head, then loop it around the back so my arm is now on the left hand side - this will take all the slack out and allow for a choke. The problem with t-shirts is, even when done correctly, they can still rip.

I'm not a big fan of any chokes that requires clothing - in bjj we learn them, I just don't make them a major focus of my training. I do think it's important to learn them because you should at least know how to defend against them.

Comment

I tried the juji jime that Ronin posted on a t-shirt a few days ago, and it worked well. So did kataha jime and the okuri eri jime variation from guard (hard to explain). It was a good quality shirt, though. I can see where old shirts might rip, though. Grab a lot of cloth, not just the collar.
        You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Comment

If I would normally put my right hand across the throat to grab deep on the left side of their neckwith the gi - with a t-shirt I would actually grab it first on the right hand side of their head, then loop it around the back so my arm is now on the left hand side - this will take all the slack out and allow for a choke. The problem with t-shirts is, even when done correctly, they can still rip.
          Thanks for the tip Student. I can see how this technique would really help. :D

Comment

By the way, IF the shirt rips, GARROTE the mofu !!

Comment

what does garrote mean?

Comment

garotte: 1. A method of execution formerly practiced in Spain, in which a tightened iron collar is used
                to strangle or break the neck of a condemned person.
                2. The iron collar used for such an execution.
                3. A cord or wire used for strangling.

Comment

I find that the best types of "apparel" chokes are used not so much to actually choke the person with the material, but to give me a lever from which to use my hand/wristbone/arm.

Comment

I agree. Most gi chokes are like that if you're doing them correctly.
                    Last edited by mikus; 2/24/2004 7:26pm, .

Comment

I got a clock choke on someone wearing a t-shirt awhile back. Frankly I've always thought the gi =/= to teh str33t was pretty bs (cough 70%-30%Original).
                      Last edited by Dochter; 2/24/2004 7:34pm, .

Comment

Wasn't it 70%-30% Classic, not original?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X