First strike vs wait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First strike vs wait

Do you typically like to strike first or wait for your opponent to initiate....Or does it just depend on the situation, and just reacting?

Don't just stand there, hit something !!

Comment

If you're talking about the ring, I'd rather hit them than have them hit me, so I usually strike first. Waiting is good too though, I just haven't learned to be patient enough.

Comment

Comment

Punisher, want a peep...

Comment

You can be reactive or active.
            Reactive, you are ALWAYS a step behind
            Active, you are setting the pace.

Comment

So... bottom line is then, if you feel there is no other recourse.... just go for it.... violently, quickly, but with control...

Comment

Remember, first strike does NOT mean to hit first, but to be the FIRST one to be decsive.
                Wither to walk away, to say "Lets rock" or to reverse punch him in the nipple as he reaches into his pocket.
                Its always best to set the pace rather than catch up, no?

Comment

Hesitation can be deadly, while over-reaction can be criminal... nothing is ever easy! that is why we train, and ask questions.....

Comment

I'm pretty sure I can tell when someone is going to advance and try to harm me. That's why the hands up, palms-forward calming gesture is so great. If the aggressor advances, you're already ready to hit them.

If I see someone drawing a weapon and there is no way to run or no nearby cover, I'm going to immobilize them before they can draw.
                    Originally posted by The Wastrel
                    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I know you like the taiji ideas. There's one that applies really well here. Smacks of mystical BS at first untill youve experienced it. There is a famous saying that says something like, "You don't move, I don't move. You move, I move first."

What it really means is that you are taking the initiative without striking. If your opponent strikes first it is because you cause him to. My Shifu ocassionally does this with me. Just from an on-guard position, I can tell I have already lost, tactically. I try to adjust my position and he adjusts with me leaving me in an even worse position. If I ty to attack, it always feels like I was forced. It's actually pretty much what Ronin said,

Remember, first strike does NOT mean to hit first, but to be the FIRST one to be decsive.
                      Just because no ones throwing yet doesn't mean no ones taking offensive action.
                      Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
                      http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Comment

Thanks Omar... Yeah. MOntigue is really big on this idea.... you hit first... something about when he enters your sphere (distance) he is already attacking and so just hit first....something like that.

Not to just reiterate what you just said (boy Ronin is going to yell at me again for not reading....oh well) Anyhow, I'd really like to meet your Sifu.... I think a lot of members here would learn alot..

Comment

and do not stop until your safety is assured

Comment

I NEVER FUCKING YELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

:rolleyes:

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X