Marriage thread spinoff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage thread spinoff.

Since we are supposed to be observing "The Separation of Church and State" in law......

I propose an entirely brand spanking new idea:

Since marriage is quite the old religious idea it is, I say that federal law should ban ANY LAW respecting marriage.

Which would mean that all people are equal, since they are not joined. It means you take care of your own shit, forever. Did your boyfriend leave you and you have no one to pay the bills? Get a job jerky, we have programs for that too.

No longer we would be connected to the era of bullshit divorce and feminazitism.

On the other hand, people will be held accountable for their own actions.

Since mostly nothing is keeping the relationships together other than the couples themselves, couples MUST work to maintain their relationship instead of being just plain lazy and whatnot.

Hmmmm, interesting idea. Good reaction to the current "crisis".

Was reading the paper the other day and on the front page there was a picture of protestors in front of a San Fran courthouse from some group called "Repent America"...... reading their shirts and signs was enough to get my head to hurting.......

And people wonder why I don't like religion....... another fine example.

Yeah, my parents' marriage ended eer so well, down with the archaeic institution- FUCK THE RING!

Comment

What are you saying about your parents' seperation exactly? The legality made it messier than it coulda/shoulda been?
      Last edited by Nid; 2/22/2004 8:43pm, .

Comment

i actually agree that government should stay out of marraige. ive been married twice and each divorce was nasty.
        8 years till retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by keinhaar
          What are you saying about your parents' seperation exactly? The legality made it messier than it coulda/shoulda been?
          In referance to some people's claims that gay marriage undermines the sanctity of the family and marriage itself.

Honestly, I haven't seen much in the way of marrital sanctity in this country since I was old enough to understand the following concepts "divorce", "gold digger", "mid-life crisis", and "domestic violence".

Fuck marriage.

Comment

I think there are too many inherent assumptions about what marriage entitles people too, and it really needs to be stripped down significantly. One doesn't even have to be married to be caught up in the tangle of joint-ownership of property or the many a verbal contract which, though not unique to marriage, happen a great deal just by the very nature of monogomy and co-habitation.

These things would not be rendered inapplicable.

Comment

Honestly, I haven't seen much in the way of marrital sanctity in this country since I was old enough to understand the following concepts "divorce", "gold digger", "mid-life crisis", and "domestic violence".

Fuck marriage.
              What does that translate to you personally? What interpersonal acts are you writing off?

Wanting equal rights for gays is one thing, even if that means demolishing the gov't sanctioning as we know it (which I at least sympathize with...and I *like* marriage and it's traditional ideals). But then it stirs up the dregs of all this very personal bitterness towards that which doesn't really exist without context. Context being the people involved.

It's like blaming alcohol.
              Last edited by Nid; 2/22/2004 9:06pm, .

Comment

That is to say, my gay uncle has as much right to a marriage that will undoubtedly fail as my father did. Claiming that letting gay people marry will in some way hurt the moral fiber of America or undermine the sanctity of marriage and the family is just ludicrous; have the people making these not been looking at the state of American marriages lately?

Comment

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with my idea?

Comment

Agreeing, I thought I was at least clear on that.

Comment

I'm not sure it is my first choice for resolving these isues, but I certainly could accept this as a compromise.

Regards,
                      Matt

Comment

Anyone else think that this is a good compromise? The more opinions the better, even if they are the same.

Comment

Might as well. I am not blind to the societical joke that is marriage. Might as well abolish it, since it has become a useless, hollow gesture.

Originally posted by ggboxer
                          You know what, the hell with this shit. I'll leave my lame ass bitching ways and suck off the site management as my compliments, but I'll maintain my boobtastic status here always.

Comment

But you wouldn't be "abolishing" it. You would just be removing any government interference or control of it.

Matt

Comment

I agree marriage should be out side government control. Marriage to me at least is a very special institution. To me, and this is only my opinion, it exemplivies the Trinity... Again in my opinion, God works "things" into real world events. That said, marriage allows true LOVE to grow in what should be the best ways. It contains all facets of love. Are there bad marriages. Yes of course, but there are also good ones...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X