PDA

View Full Version : Martial art advice

Billington
9/09/2010 9:46pm,
I want to start a martial art of some kind, I'm not really sure what. I have trouble finding a good place to learn it as well because the only things I can find near by are ATA taekwondo (which I tried twice and hated) and this kickboxing/kung fu place that I can tell is full of crap by the hundreds of random signs in their windows.

I really just need a specific direction to look in however so I want advice on what martial art would suit me well. I'm small about 5'4, and I weigh around 120lbs. Also I have some sort of hip problems (not sure what but they suck) so a lot kicking is difficult, movement on my feet is fine however.

Any martial art you think would work please post. Even if it is obscure and rare, I just need some ideas.

Kintanon
9/09/2010 10:03pm,
I think we would need to know more about your hip issues to make a really good recommendation. Judo, Boxing, BJJ, Wrestling are all good and don't involve kicks, but all of the require a good deal of hip engagement. So if you have really bad hips or a hip injury or something you may have a very hard time finding something that works for you. Can you give any more information about your hip issues?

Billington
9/09/2010 10:08pm,
My hips just get sore and stiff really easily if there alot of stress on them. The only times I had trouble were with squats in weight lifting and doing kicks in taekwondo. As far as kicks go I had trouble rolling my hips into position for a side kick(if that makes sense) because they got stiff and couldn't move about 3/4 of the way to where they need to be.

Kintanon
9/09/2010 11:10pm,
OK, that sounds like it's primarily just a flexibility problem, not "bad hips" a good stretching routine is probably what you need. In that case I suggest any of the arts I listed previously. You shouldn't have any trouble with them. If you post where you are there is likely to be a Bullshido member near you that can help you find good training.

Psycho Dad
9/10/2010 10:06am,
If you want additional help finding a school, you also might want to try posting what city and state/province/county you're in.

ironcastknight
9/10/2010 12:09pm,
Do judo, it's cheap and widely available. Also it's good exercise, and throwing people is fun.

As for your hips, mine felt pretty much the same when I started karate; I had poor range of movement, couldn't kick high, fast, or accurately, and after about five kicks I felt like my legs were going to fall off. Chances are you have the same problem I had, which is that you probably have almost zero muscular development and flexibility in them. I'm not a doctor though, so take my assessment with a grain of salt.

feral00
9/10/2010 3:16pm,
Your hips sound exactly like mine, I have no idea why but some movements cause pain and others dont, and to make it weirder some days I wont have any pain. Its good to no im not a freak, my theory is that I have high set hip joints because front mobility is no problem only the side.

Anyway your going to keep getting advice to join Judo, its a good idea but if you posted your area Im sure somebody could give you actual school suggestions.

Billington
9/10/2010 4:35pm,
I live in Brush, Colorado. I can't go too far from here right now because I'm in high school still. It's my senior year though so if anything I can wait. Any school suggestions.

Flappyhead
9/10/2010 9:07pm,
My hips just get sore and stiff really easily if there alot of stress on them. The only times I had trouble were with squats in weight lifting and doing kicks in taekwondo. As far as kicks go I had trouble rolling my hips into position for a side kick(if that makes sense) because they got stiff and couldn't move about 3/4 of the way to where they need to be.

Sounds a lot like an issue I had when I first started. Try doing some hip flexor stretches a couple of times a day, it may help. Just my .02.

Psycho Dad
9/10/2010 9:56pm,
A kettlebell should be good for hip flexor exorcises.

Flappyhead
9/10/2010 10:05pm,
A kettlebell should be good for hip flexor exorcises.

A light one, maybe 5 pounds at max.

Gidi
9/11/2010 9:48am,
If you're still in an high-school, join the wrestling team, that's great exercise, a very good and effective martial art and should be very cheap.
It will also transition well in to other arts if you wish to pursue them later.

If your school has no wrestling team, or you can't join for some reason, then yes Judo is a great choice. It's a great MA in its own right and lots of fun.

Good luck and welcome to Bullshido