PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai in Santa Clara,Ca

JoubuNa
9/07/2010 1:05am,
So I was searching around on google for a Muay Thai school and came across http://www.militarymuaythai.com/

I cant get much off the website except that its Old Style Muay Thai,
The site gives no instructor names. Anyone know or heard anything about the school (probably not). I have found reviews and they give very little info, (Military instructors, still no names, and that you train pretty hard).

Can anyone help?

-Jesse

alex
9/07/2010 1:16am,
very vague site. TBH any "muay thai" school without a fight team is fishy at best. they go on about how its not a sport, its for teh deadly only, using old school muay thai... yeah. id leave it if i were you, there are better MT schools in cali, where you will actually learn muay thai. it also sounds like its going to be hugely expensive, with the one on one training system.

JoubuNa
9/07/2010 6:41pm,
very vague site. TBH any "muay thai" school without a fight team is fishy at best. they go on about how its not a sport, its for teh deadly only, using old school muay thai... yeah. id leave it if i were you, there are better MT schools in cali, where you will actually learn muay thai. it also sounds like its going to be hugely expensive, with the one on one training system.
Yup, a review said its a "barebones" site, only gives information thats a necessity. Could you recommend any MT schools around the SF Bay area, i cant find any others that train just MT not MMA base. I was planning on taking BJJ(http://www.cbjj.net) first so should i just stick with that for now?

Thanks,
-Jesse

Torakaka
9/07/2010 8:12pm,
I know for a fact that there's a Fairtex gym in Santa Clara since I went there for weigh-ins when I fought there last year. That website certainly makes that gym look like it's almost certainly bogus. Hard wood floors? Undisclosed location? Riight...

JoubuNa
9/07/2010 8:56pm,
I know for a fact that there's a Fairtex gym in Santa Clara since I went there for weigh-ins when I fought there last year. That website certainly makes that gym look like it's almost certainly bogus. Hard wood floors? Undisclosed location? Riight...
Thank you sooo much, ill definately check this place out.

kidvaletudo
9/10/2010 8:13am,
I don't think hardwood floors and lack of a fighting team should bar someone from getting some effective martial arts practice. And if the place is a lot cheaper than Fairtex (the Mountain View one charges close to $130/mo) then why not?

That being said, this place appears to be self-defense centered. It claims to only do one on one sessions as well. But you could still check it out.

However, my point is that the old-style variations on thai boxing and kicks can be enjoyable and effective to learn. Here's a youtube describing the difference between old-style and the sport-style: YouTube - Donnie B. - Muay Thai Driving Kick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFVebgsh3A).

The kick he shows, Frankie Edgar actually used in round 4 of his last win over BJ Penn.