PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to go to this seminar

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

nomamao
9/07/2010 6:57pm,
Re the boxing vid: sadly I see that misconception at Aikido classes a lot, but keeping more than 2 feet away from the attacker doesn't make him punch at 4 feet. It makes him try to get to 2 feet. I've been frowned upon many times for refusing to attack from that far away (and on a couple of occasions, for throwing something).

I'm in favour of over-extending the opponent, but expecting them to over-extend themselves seems either excessively optimistic, or just a bit lazy.

More interestingly though, I have a really strong feeling that I have met this man somewhere. Subconscious says it was work related rather than martial arts. Unless I've just seen him on Come Dine With Me or something.

I did do a bit of Booj years ago (who didn't?), but I don't think it was there either.

It's driving me nuts trying to place it.

Oddly enough, this common misconception doesn't occur to people that get some sparring in. It's amazing, ain't it?

never in my life have I thought that someone is going to just lunge forward like that. Horrible. I've seen kungfu guys teach that, but it's not something I've actually sparred against. If it was, I'd have had a field day.

I do understand that knowing your distance better than your opponent could be helpful when evading punches/countering, but standing 4 feet off isn't the way to do it. Another case of a guy that hasn't done any time getting hit. Not good for the world, but great for the BOOJ. I hope they all train like this guy so that I know I won't have to fear the ninja, no matter how many come at me.

alex
9/07/2010 6:58pm,
i asked him on his channel why he isnt using an actual jab in his video about defending a jab with a throw (lol) and he retorted going on about muay thai kicks. he seems to like deflecting criticism. the guys an obvious idiot, and teaches in a "this is how its done" kind of manner- indicitave of people who are actually pretty unsure of what they are doing, and dont want to leave themselves open to being asked difficult questions.

ah psych 101 how i miss thee :/

Franco
9/07/2010 8:20pm,
Stoopid sportz fitaz

MrGalt
9/07/2010 10:16pm,
i asked him on his channel why he isnt using an actual jab in his video about defending a jab with a throw (lol) and he retorted going on about muay thai kicks. he seems to like deflecting criticism. the guys an obvious idiot, and teaches in a "this is how its done" kind of manner- indicitave of people who are actually pretty unsure of what they are doing, and dont want to leave themselves open to being asked difficult questions.

ah psych 101 how i miss thee :/

I'm getting the same from him. He's clearly exasperated by those of us who don't see how great his techniques are. Now that I think about it he's very clearly repeating something he heard. Too bad too, because people who make such nonsense up on their own are so much more fun.

Dsimon3387
9/08/2010 2:15am,
Harp harp harp away...

the guy is technically sound and he is teaching beginners. his focus is on teaching basic Tai Jutsu which is about distance and timing.

No I will not defend his understanding of a punch.... There is work in the Booj that trains a boxing punch. The irony is that the long lunge thingy is not even the proper Daiken Jutsu punch that it purports to be...What I found as a long time Booj student was an unwritten rule to forget that uke punching is also practicing.

Why? maybe because Tai Sabaki body angling and footwork is something that people are expected to play with oneself and people get lazy and would rather enjoy uke punching in a non threatening manner than tighten up the techniques with footwork and repositioning skills.

Rickko
9/08/2010 3:00am,
Technically sound ???. WTF!!
Oh sorry, I forgot we were talking about a ninjer.

Dude seriously needs to get a cape...:deadhorse

callum828
9/08/2010 3:02am,
Damnit you guys now I'm in a youtube argument with the guy. He's even followed me onto other, non-ninja videos.

Rickko
9/08/2010 3:08am,
With any luck he'll follow you here.
But since he's a ninjer...will we even see him?

PDA
9/08/2010 3:34am,
This time last year he was 12th Dan, + 2 Dan in one year.

http://meerkat69.blogspot.com/2009/08/meerkatsu-interviews-simon-yeo-ninjutsu.html

At this rate he will be 32nd Dan in 10 years.

I wonder if he will be able to fly then?

Rickko
9/08/2010 3:54am,
Fly? maybe...
Fight??...

I keep forgetting that he has rank in Bjj.( Bucketloads more than I do too )
There really is no excuse

PDA
9/08/2010 4:07am,
Its quite clever really, He uses Ninjitsu marketting and bullshit to make money but actually learns some decent stuff on the side to make sure if he gets challenged he can still kick some arse.

callum828
9/08/2010 4:23am,
Apparently he says he intends to introduce sparring to his Booj lessons and filter out what doesn't work...

Which I imagine will be most of it. Of course it may well be hot air. He's a twelfth dan for God's sake, why has he only just started doing it now?

Kovacs
9/08/2010 4:30am,
He'll never do it, if he weeds out what doesn't work and does it honestly he'll have nothing left, his ninjer dream and perpetual hardon for teaching **** to newbs who don't know any better will wilt and he'd be all alone. He'll carry on with this tat and I'm actually pleased, it's a rich vein of comedy gold.

Rickko
9/08/2010 4:35am,
Yeah he'd have to put the tabi boots out to pasture along with all his ninjer toys.. erm.. weapons.never happen

Ignorami
9/08/2010 5:40am,
Yeah he'd have to put the tabi boots out to pasture along with all his ninjer toys.. erm.. weapons.never happen

Say what you want about ninja's, but don't knock tabi boots. They make awesome slippers.

JudoA
9/08/2010 6:09am,
This time last year he was 12th Dan, + 2 Dan in one year.

http://meerkat69.blogspot.com/2009/08/meerkatsu-interviews-simon-yeo-ninjutsu.html

At this rate he will be 32nd Dan in 10 years.

I wonder if he will be able to fly then?

According to the comment there he got to brown belt using only private lessons...