PDA

View Full Version : Greetings From the UK

MMAd MMAx
8/27/2010 2:27pm,
Hi Bullshido,

This is my second post on this great looking forum, I've been treading through forum posts and still getting accustomed to the controls.

Ok, my background.. still very much a novice fighter though like most young men I have had my share of school yard beatings and the occasional bar/pub fight.. Boxed a little when I was 16 and still really enjoy the sport.
Back in December 2009 I joined a local Karate club (Seido Juku UK) and very much enjoy my training. I've already read some posts on Seido Karate on this forum and would like to comment that our training in the UK is different.
I also like to do the occasional weight training, yoga (useful for flexibility), cross-country jogging and circuit training.

Recently started converting my old shed into a home Gym and making changes to my diet (i now recommend a daily dose of fish oil!!) and reading up on all kinds information.. i'm borrowing a book on Krav Maga from the library and occasionally buying a copy of 'Fighters Only' (quite limited on material around where I live). Open to any suggestions that some of you too.

So thanks for having me and I look fwd to getting to know some of you and hopefully one day train with you.

Max

patfromlogan
8/30/2010 9:01pm,
So reading the below quoted post, I'm wondering, is your dojo Zen or Knockdown?

not exactly sure which seido style you refer to. Seido is a very common word in martial arts, and there are several groups (both different in styles and arts) using it in their name.
Two of them are kyokushin offshots.

Seido juku/World Seido karate (founded by Tadashi Nakamura) is indeed a offshot of kyokushin, but while they still have very much of kyokushin in their technique they have sadly mostly abandoned knockdown and full contact (and with that also the quality control that knockdown/full contact sparring is in karate). The founder has mellowed in his old age from the hardcore fighter he was when young. Now he is more into zen, karate as a moving meditation and similar crap. You can still found the occasional seido juku oldschool dojo that do knockdown (they all did when the style was founded) if you look hard enough, but the style as a whole is now more into semi/light contact sparring/competition. If they are into sparring at all.
You could ask your instructor if there is any chances of knockdown rule fighting, there might be some oldschool hardcore fighters still doing it in your dojo, but dont get your hopes up.

Seido kaikan (founded by Kazuyoshi Ishii, who also founded k-1) is technically a ashihara karate offshot, but Ishii only spent a couple of months with ashihara after they both left kyokushin, before splintering off to found his own style. It is basically oldschool kyokushin but with kickboxing thrown in (they use the same bareknuckle knockdown rules as kyokushin but if you go into extension rounds, you put on boxing gloves and allow headpunches). However Im not sure if you can even find it in the US.

MMAd MMAx
8/31/2010 3:11pm,
Well this is my very first post.. (so please be patient with me)

I wanted to train in Martial Arts for a while and jumped at the chance when I found out there was a class around the corner from me. I just wanted to get fit i suppose and not long before I joined the dojo a friend of mine was stabbed and beaten to death by three little thugs and it put a lot of things into perspective..
Now I train in Seido Juku UK Karate myself and can assure the lessons are split up depending on what days you go. I attend anywhere from 2-4 sessions a week and sparring/kumite classes are every Saturday for 4th Kyus and above.
I too was a bit disappointed when I discovered that we don't do any sparring until we reach 4th Kyu grade.. but nevertheless they sometimes allow us lower-grades to have a go and IMO it is dangerous letting someone who doesn't know how to fight to just get stuck-in with someone with experience, it's especially more dangerous when the novice is yet to learn self control.
My keenness, the will to get fit and fact that I try to train a little almost everyday has earned me three gradings in the space of four months and my first two knuckles (Seiken) now have calyxes the size of golf balls lol.

Our training does vary from time to time; we learn Techniques, Kata, Kyohn/Kumite, Street Fighting, Self Defence, Conditioning, Meditation, we do circuit training exercises too and only being a 7th Kyu I was fortunate one night to have a lesson in basic Knife Fighting/Defence (weapons are reserved for black belts).

Seido Juku is more than just fighting and being a tough nut.. It's about developing a non-quitting spirit, to carry on through exhaustion, attacking your ego for your worse enemy is yourself.. it's actually helped me to quit the drugs (but that's another story).
It's a style of karate designed for anyone.. young and old and we even have a few students with severe disabilities. Watching these people over-come there differences is purely inspirational and to me is the core of what we do. Kaicho Nakamura was disappointed that a lot of other Karate styles would just beet up their student on the first day leaving those who are weak feeling like they could never improve.

The founder who introduced Seido Juku Karate to the UK is Jun Shihan R. T-Jones (6th Dan) and bought it back from his time in Jamaica. http://www.seido.org.uk/high_wycombe.htm
For a 60 year old he's hard as nails and is an inspiration to me anyway :)

Just my 2 Pence!!

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2428571