PDA

View Full Version : Paul Wheel - The World Champion Of Champions

Pages : [1] 2

FLINT ISLAND
8/25/2010 3:28pm,
Hey there guys,

I dont know that much about / MMA /UFC, etc,

I just wanted to know how many of you know / rate - Paul Wheel.

He runs the Dojo Gym in Swansea.

He is good mates and has trained alongside former World Champion boxer Enzo Maccarinelli.

Apparantly Wheel claims he started training in martial arts from just 3 years old - a amazing early age.

Looks like it all paid off though.........

As - in 1996 - he was crowned - The World Champion Of World Champions

However I searched for info on him on google - and found very little information.

Could not find his record.

Could not find who he beat to become World Champion of Champions.

Was this guy really the Number 1 fighter out of all of the world back in the 1990's ?

Surely for a fighter who had such a lofty status - I thought info would be easier to come by.

So what do you make of this former fighter - this is the link to the only info I could get of the guy...................

http://www.welshthaiboxing.co.uk/new_view/BANNER.gif

FLINT ISLAND
8/25/2010 3:31pm,
http://www.welshthaiboxing.co.uk/new_view/paul_profile.jpg

FLINT ISLAND
8/25/2010 3:32pm,
http://www.welshthaiboxing.co.uk/instructors.html

Snake Plissken
8/25/2010 3:33pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Now, we will start small:

Please post a link to where Mr. Wheel makes some of these claims you are attributing to him.

Thank you

Edit, OK, you put up a link to his instructor Bio referring to "Paul has competed at many levels winning world champion of champions in 1994"

FLINT ISLAND
8/25/2010 3:34pm,
The third link.

Snake Plissken
8/25/2010 3:38pm,
So, next question, have you trained with Mr. Wheel or do you train at another school?

FLINT ISLAND
8/25/2010 3:41pm,
I dont train in martial arts.

I am more into boxing.

But I am from Swansea- and didnt realise that there was a martial artist who was once World Champion of all Champions from Swansea.

But I was interested if you could confirm if Mr Wheel was indeed number 1 in the world back in the 1990's

and who did he beat to win such a high honour belt ?

Snake Plissken
8/25/2010 4:12pm,
I dont train in martial arts.

I am more into boxing.
his gym offers boxing as well

But I am from Swansea- and didnt realise that there was a martial artist who was once World Champion of all Champions from Swansea.
Have you had any interaction with anyone from that gym, before?

But I was interested if you could confirm if Mr Wheel was indeed number 1 in the world back in the 1990's

and who did he beat to win such a high honour belt ?
have you tried contacting him and asking, what with you being in the same town and all?

BHatley
8/26/2010 2:30am,
Really the best place to start if you can't find any reference online of him winning his claimed titles would be the "Contact Us" page on their school's website.

[email protected]
That's the school's e-mail address. You can send them a message in a tone that would be of you wanting to inquire about their school and credentials.

Or better yet, you can call them.
Is their listed telephone number.

But if you want the best means of finding out information and learning about how legitimate they are, seeing as you live in the same town as them you could stop by the gym and inquire about some trial classes. While doing that you can strike conversation with Mr. Wheel face to face, which will be a much more easy way of getting all the information you desire.

Permalost
8/26/2010 11:17am,
I did some basic google-fu and the only references I found to his champion status are from his own website(s). There was also a boxing forum that talked about this a little bit, and they mentioned that they should take up their claims with Bullshido:
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248877&page=2

So FLINT ISLAND, are you White Tiger on that forum?

To me, it looks like Paul Wheel is making fraudulent claims. He has no record on Sherdog (which doesn't mean much since his thing is muay thai, not MMA). You'd think a world champion (or even better, a world champion of champions) would have some governing body list it on an easily found website, and he doesn't mention any organization that he fought in, which I believe is pretty standard.

He lists that he's certified with the British Boxing Board of Control, so that should be easy enough to check. I'll send them a little email.

Lu Tze
8/26/2010 11:41am,
Online records for muay thai are pretty sketchy, I'd reserve such bold statements for when you know for sure.

I mean... the guy is pretty fat for a competitive thai boxer, but you can eat a lot of pies in 6 years.

Snake Plissken
8/26/2010 11:48am,
Which is why the simplest answer to OP would be:
go in and see for yourself and report back with your findings.

FLINT ISLAND
8/26/2010 12:20pm,
Yes I am White Tiger - better known as FLINT ISLAND from Eastside Boxing.

My suspcions of Wheel were from a couple of years back I read on a forum somewhere that the guy makes up his own World Title Belt - and then just annoints himself as the Champ.

I dont know if this is true or not.

But World Champion Of Champions - is quite a high status to claim.

FLINT ISLAND
8/26/2010 12:24pm,
I did some basic google-fu and the only references I found to his champion status are from his own website(s). There was also a boxing forum that talked about this a little bit, and they mentioned that they should take up their claims with Bullshido:
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248877&page=2

So FLINT ISLAND, are you White Tiger on that forum?

To me, it looks like Paul Wheel is making fraudulent claims. He has no record on Sherdog (which doesn't mean much since his thing is muay thai, not MMA). You'd think a world champion (or even better, a world champion of champions) would have some governing body list it on an easily found website, and he doesn't mention any organization that he fought in, which I believe is pretty standard.

He lists that he's certified with the British Boxing Board of Control, so that should be easy enough to check. I'll send them a little email.

Exactly why I thiought he may be a fake world champion.

I mean - he was probaly a good martial artist.

But to call yourself World Champion Of Champions

thats basically saying you are the best pound for pound champion on the planet.

yet for someone so acclaimed - there seems so little info on the web.

I mean any other world champion in any other sport - type their name in google and plenty of info would come up.

Snake Plissken
8/26/2010 12:34pm,
Yes I am White Tiger - better known as FLINT ISLAND from Eastside Boxing.

My suspcions of Wheel were from a couple of years back I read on a forum somewhere that the guy makes up his own World Title Belt - and then just annoints himself as the Champ.

I dont know if this is true or not.

But World Champion Of Champions - is quite a high status to claim.
Perhaps you are correct, perhaps he just made it up or perhaps he won a small Tournament where the winner is titled "Champion of Champions", which isn't unheard of either.

Fact is, you stated you have been going on about this for a "couple of years"......have you physically gone into his gym and trained or asked the guy?
Have you made a telephone call inquiring about these questions?
Have you emailed him about these concerns?
If you have done any of these things, please post the contents of the email, including date/time stamp OR please post a narrative of the in-person or telephone discussion including where and when it occurred.

If you haven't done these things, why have you spent your time making threads about him on various websites and not spoken to the man, first?

The bulk of investigations come from firsthand information and since you reside in the same community as the man AND you have brought forward these questions and concerns, you are the most likely candidate to do the heavy-lifting.

Lu Tze
8/26/2010 12:38pm,
Exactly why I thiought he may be a fake world champion.

I mean - he was probaly a good martial artist.

But to call yourself World Champion Of Champions

thats basically saying you are the best pound for pound champion on the planet.

yet for someone so acclaimed - there seems so little info on the web.

I mean any other world champion in any other sport - type their name in google and plenty of info would come up.As has been stated, "champion of champions" could be a title confered at/by a particular promotion.

Why not contact this guy and ask which organizations he competed under? Because right now all you're doing is running in fucking circles, reiterating the the same crap over and over without even a hint that you're interested in facts.