PDA

View Full Version : Greeting, and a few questions.

JoubuNa
8/23/2010 11:46pm,
Hey all Bullshido members,

Im Jesse, new to BS and mainly forums in general (last forum was for World of Warcraft lol). Anyways I had a quick question. I am hoping to begin training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at Tom Cisseros BJJ in the San Francisco bay area. And I was wonder if anyone on the NewbieForum had trained there before, I've only heard good things about the school but you dont really know much about a school to you train there. Also, I have watched probably 100's of videos about BJJ tournies but I'm not entirely sure about it's effectiveness in the real world (SUPER NEWB). Some help would be appreciated.

-Jesse:qright4:

battlefields
8/24/2010 12:19am,
Go and do the class, enjoy it, move through the ranks and become a legit BJJ Black Belt bad arse. Best advice and thread ender.

However, I feel I should ask, what is your concern regarding the "real world"?

helmutlvx
8/24/2010 8:29am,
Less WoW, more BJJ.

Your life will be full of happiness and women will like you. Just don't mention you roll around with sweaty guys and show off your ripped abs.

RumbleFish
8/24/2010 8:44am,
Go and take a couple of classes and see if it's for you, dude. If it is, good! If not, go check out something else.

Do you mean real world as in a street fight?

JoubuNa
8/24/2010 11:02pm,
to RumbleFish and Battlefield, yes i am referring to a 1v1 legitimate street fight. lol Helmutlvx i stopped WoW 3 and a half years ago..

battlefields
8/24/2010 11:42pm,
Just do BJJ, do it now. The school, from what I understand, is good. I've heard of Tom Cisero (?) and I'm not even on your continent (granted I heard of him on here, but that just adds legitimacy, IMO).

Read as much as you can on this website. Honestly, your fears are relatively ungrounded. I would much rather know how to take someone to ground and choke them the **** out while avoiding eye gouges and ball grabs than I would want to know how to eye gouge and ball grab. Also, I already know how to eye gouge and ball grab, so that ************ trying it on me when I am controlling the bitch on the ground is going to get his fucking nose bit off, his arm broken and introduced to the sandman quick. Then while he's asleep...

JoubuNa
8/25/2010 12:36am,
Thanks for the the help Battlefields, Im glad that others have heard about Tom. About your comment "your fears are relatively ungrounded". Im just over skeptical i guess.

battlefields
8/25/2010 12:45am,
That over skepticism will serve you well in the aft bullshit world of the martial arts. BJJ has a definitive lineage and history meaning it can be traced easily and it's instructors are proud of their heritage. This is one of the things that makes obtaining quality instruction easier. Arts and instructors that talk about "the streetz" or "reality" while claiming "backgrounds" in "several" martial arts should prick your skepticism faster than a BJJ black belt, mainly because of the quality control of BJJ that is also found in Judo, Muay Thai and Kyokushin, among a select few others. Don't drop your guard though, just because someone says they are a BJJ black belt, bullshido.net has busted several fakes.

Skepticism is one of the foundations of this website.

RumbleFish
8/25/2010 3:58am,
Well, on a 1v1 streetfight, I guess any martial art would come in handy? I agree with Battlefields; I'd rather choke a dude out and move one with my life than to stand there and trade blows. I have better things to do.

If, however, it's him and 3 of his mates, it's better to not go to the ground at all. In fact, just run the hell away.

Nothing ruins a day like getting your head kicked in.

NoGroinNoKrav
8/25/2010 8:05pm,
Well, on a 1v1 streetfight, I guess any martial art would come in handy? I agree with Battlefields; I'd rather choke a dude out and move one with my life than to stand there and trade blows. I have better things to do.

If, however, it's him and 3 of his mates, it's better to not go to the ground at all. In fact, just run the hell away.

Nothing ruins a day like getting your head kicked in.

any amount of training is great (unless its mcdojo bullshido)

BJJ will prove to be effective in the "real world" but just like any martial art there will be a few moves that are not street friendly. Reality based self defense arts can do a good job teaching you a few good moves, but its also no substitute for sparring or rolling, if you are really interested in real world application I say take BJJ and a striking art, then maybe later on you can take a little bit of reality based self defense arts.