PDA

View Full Version : Low weight high rep?

Mr. Machette
8/06/2010 3:32pm,
Ok. so I don't have a lot of weights to play with right now.

I've got 50lbs to work with, so I'm just doing reps until i get tired. Then doing as many sets as I can stand. (which isn't much since I'm just starting to get into some kind of shape.)

Curls I can only do 10-15, for two maybe three sets. No biggie there, I can still work that and develop.

But for bench presses, I'm up to 4 sets of 25.

I'm wondering though, if I'll suffer any setbacks or losses from doing the opposite of what most weight trainers suggest.

Or is doing the low weight high rep thing better than nothing for keeping me active until I get some more weights?

The most important thing to me right now is fat loss BTW. I'm already a big guy, so size gains aren't that important to me right now. I need to get lean and strong more than I need to get bulky. (Once I lose this spare tire, I'll start worrying about size.)

Any advice?

Diesel_Claus
8/06/2010 3:58pm,
You are doing 4 sets of 25 reps with 50 lbs? Yeah, just give that up and do pushups. When you can do a bunch of pushups, put the weight on your back and continue.

All your doing is pushups and curls? What about pull ups. Do them, and then take that 50lbs and hold it between your legs when you are board of pull ups. Same thing with dips, squats, lunges...

Mr. Machette
8/06/2010 4:13pm,
You are doing 4 sets of 25 reps with 50 lbs? Yeah, just give that up and do pushups. When you can do a bunch of pushups, put the weight on your back and continue.

All your doing is pushups and curls? What about pull ups. Do them, and then take that 50lbs and hold it between your legs when you are board of pull ups. Same thing with dips, squats, lunges...
Also doing squats and military presses. I'll also do bicycle crunches inbetween sets, but that has nothing to do with weights...

Diesel_Claus
8/07/2010 7:45am,
So your only compound lifts are bench with 50lbs, military press with 50 lbs, and squats with 50lbs? Curls are for the girls.

I would loose the 50lbs all together and start doing functional exercises. If your goal is to loose weight, you are probably not going to get much out of what you are doing.

Do you live in a suburb or place with side walks? If so do this: Go runing for about 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes stop and do 25 pushups and 25 squats. Then continue the jog.

Do that every other day and on the off days, do your curls and find somewhere to do some pull ups.

Guarantee you will lose some weight and get some functional strength.

wizwar31
8/07/2010 11:38am,
it looks like you have pushing exercises and no pulling exercises at all. that just leads to muscle in-balance and overall shoulder weakness (plus you'll be hunched over and **** from a weak back). like he said, do functional exercises, and toss in some pullups, and rows.

Mr. Machette
8/09/2010 11:53am,
Do you live in a suburb or place with side walks? If so do this: Go runing for about 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes stop and do 25 pushups and 25 squats. Then continue the jog.

Sounds good! I try the out latter today when I do the jogging thang.

Mr. Machette
8/09/2010 11:55am,
it looks like you have pushing exercises and no pulling exercises at all. that just leads to muscle in-balance and overall shoulder weakness (plus you'll be hunched over and **** from a weak back). like he said, do functional exercises, and toss in some pullups, and rows.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll start working some pulling stuff into my routine.

Also picked up two 15lbs plates from the flea market this weekend, so that's another 30 pounds for the bar!

toad44
8/09/2010 11:59am,
what about renegade rows? you could do DB swings, too. turkish getups. sots press. overhead squats. overhead lunges.

good luck!

Mr. Machette
8/09/2010 3:41pm,
what about renegade rows? you could do DB swings, too. turkish getups. sots press. overhead squats. overhead lunges.

good luck!
O.k., now your speaking Latin to this newbie.

I have no idea what half of these are, but I'll be sure look them up and work them in to the routine. Thanks man!

toad44
8/09/2010 6:33pm,
O.k., now your speaking Latin to this newbie.

I have no idea what half of these are, but I'll be sure look them up and work them in to the routine. Thanks man!

heh :)

ExRx has some good info (http://www.exrx.net/)

hier is a link to vids for Renegade Row (http://www.google.com/search?q=renegade+row&hl=en&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=SY9gTPW6KYT78AaGmczCDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB8QqwQwAA)
and another:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer4.htm

Sots press:
http://www.powerathletesmag.com/archives/one/sotspress.htm

Turkish GU:
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/matriarch/OnePiecePage.asp_Q_PageID_E_203_A_PageName_E_kettl ebellvideo5

overhead lunges
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/qt/OH-Lunge.htm

KB/DB swings:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kettlebells.php?MainMuscle=Hamstrings

Ross at Rosstraining.com has great workouts/ideas/inspiration.

good luck with everything and good training!

Mr. Machette
8/10/2010 1:49pm,
Thank you!

LI GUY 1
8/12/2010 5:30am,
Everyone has given you great ideas for conditioning.

For strength try the following, it will cover all major muscles with the weight you have and allow you to work in the high weight lower rep range.

Find a place to do pull ups and dips, when you can, tie the weight to your waist. Weighted pullups are excellent and weighted dips are a fine replacement if not equal to bench press.
For upper body shoulder press, do handstand pushups, against a wall for assistance and balance until you can rep your body weight, which should take some time to build up.
For upper body row, tie a rope to your car and pull it, using a rowing motion, using your legs to assist when needed obviously.
Lastly, legs. Push that damned car, using deep steps/lunges to get a full ROM. Also, push it whith your back facing it to develop different muscles.

There you go. You won't have to buy a thing! Cheap as hell, and will get you strong.

Mr. Machette
8/12/2010 1:40pm,
Everyone has given you great ideas for conditioning.

For strength try the following, it will cover all major muscles with the weight you have and allow you to work in the high weight lower rep range.

Find a place to do pull ups and dips, when you can, tie the weight to your waist. Weighted pullups are excellent and weighted dips are a fine replacement if not equal to bench press.
For upper body shoulder press, do handstand pushups, against a wall for assistance and balance until you can rep your body weight, which should take some time to build up.
For upper body row, tie a rope to your car and pull it, using a rowing motion, using your legs to assist when needed obviously.
Lastly, legs. Push that damned car, using deep steps/lunges to get a full ROM. Also, push it whith your back facing it to develop different muscles.

There you go. You won't have to buy a thing! Cheap as hell, and will get you strong.
Sounds good!

I'm thinking a pull up bar will be my next investment.

Thanks man!

WorldWarCheese
8/14/2010 3:10pm,
Glad I stumbled on this thread as I don't have access to a lot of equipment either. I'll have to try some of these workouts myself. (diesels's reminds me a lot of the type of conditioning we had to do in Judo)