PDA

View Full Version : need recommendation on a dojo

Fist_of_Legend
2/25/2004 9:18pm,
hi all, i'm new to bushido, i usually hangout at cyberkwoon.

anyways, i live in Orange County California, and i have major trouble finding a place to train around here. As most of the establishments i came across around here concentrate on your wallet and teach you next to nothing, i'm wondering if any of you guys train or know of a good place to train around this area.

i'm practice a little ju jitsu, and some tai chi. i want to find a dojo that teaches some forms or strikes that are street effective and not just for show.

any help would be greatly appreciated

GajusCaesar
2/25/2004 9:45pm,
Where in Orange County?

GajusCaesar
2/25/2004 9:47pm,
Oh well. Kyokushin Karate is a great standup style. All good Kyokushin dojos spar full contact. If you see one that doesn't, don't train there. Here are a list of Kyokushin dojos in California that I know of. One may be close to you.

AKKO-School of The Tiger
Mendocino Park and Recreation District
Sensei Edward H. Allen
PO Box 1422
Mendocino, CA. 95460
707-964-4885
e-mail: [email protected]

American Kyokushin Karate Academy
Courtyard Elementary (Only For Students Who Attend Courtyard Elementary)
(916) 442-5385
Kyoshi Fred Buck 8th Dan

Rio Linda Parks and Recreation
(916) 991-5929
Sensei Willie Hernandez

City of Rocklin Park and Recreation
(916) 632-4100
Sensei Al Muir 2nd Dan

Elk Grove Park and Recreation
(916) 685-3917
Sensei Christopher Radachak 2nd Dan

Laguna School of the Tiger
(916) 686-1576
Sensei Jack Radachak 3rd Dan

Shihan Armando Cappa 5th Dan
(818) 772-4464
8240 Louise Ave.
Northridge, CA 92325
E-Mail [email protected]

Buck's School of the Tiger
(707) 745-1859
Sensei Marriette Buck
500 St. Marys Rd.
Lafeyette, CA 94549
Email:

Rohnert Park School of the Tiger
(707) 792-1294
Sensei Robert Grant
5405 Snyder Ln
Rohnert Park, CA 91042

Yucca Valley Karate Dojo
(760) 365-6842
Shihan Mike Bristow 4th Dan
58967 Business Center Dr. Unit G
Yucca Valley, CA 92284
E-Mail: [email protected]

Petaluma School of the Tiger
(707)763-1665 Sensei Jim Cahill
85 Alta Dr.
Petaluma, CA. 94954

GajusCaesar
2/25/2004 9:49pm,
Muay Thai is also a very practical standup style and I am sure there is probably a gym around Orange county. Some of the Californian members like The Wastrel or Omega may be able to help you better than I can. You could try PMing them if they don't see this thread.

Punisher
2/25/2004 10:00pm,
This school might be worth checking into:

http://www.ockickbox.com/

Deadpan Scientist
2/25/2004 10:18pm,
From the Straight Blast Gym:

Centerline Gym
9812 Belmont St.
Bellflower, CA 90706
(562) 208-1771
Jerry Wetzel is Head Instructor at the Centerline Gym in Southern California. Jerry's goal in forming the gym was to develop a laboratory for training and testing combative arts and developing realistic training methods for real world situations. Jerry is a full instructor in Jeet Kune Do and continues to update his training to keep up with the never-ending progress of the combative arts. Jerry Wetzel is dedicated to discovering the TRUTH in combat. Not the fantasy of combat, not the Hollywood image of combat, and not the ritual of combat. To do this, Jerry believes it is of utmost importance to take biological, psychological, emotional, and behavioral factors into account and then apply them to a resisting opponent under realistic conditions.

SingleStep
2/26/2004 1:59am,
Teacher Directory for the "Neija" arts (Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji)

http://www.hsing-i.com/teachers/index.html

A noteable not mentioned in that directory:

Tim Cartmell: http://www.shenwu.com
Garden Grove, CA

Teaches Xingyi, Bagua, Taiji plus his own class based on principles of the arts he has trained in (calls it shen wu). In addition to the three arts mentioned above, Tim also has a Black Belt in BJJ.

GajusCaesar
2/26/2004 2:41am,
By the way, let me apply my comment from before to ANY striking/standup art you may decide to train in. If they do not spar FULL CONTACT on a very regular basis, it is a complete waste of your time. Make sure you watch a few classes/sessions before you sign anything.

Omega Supreme
2/26/2004 3:24am,
Originally posted by Fist_of_Legend
hi all, i'm new to bushido, i usually hangout at cyberkwoon.

anyways, i live in Orange County California, and i have major trouble finding a place to train around here. As most of the establishments i came across around here concentrate on your wallet and teach you next to nothing, i'm wondering if any of you guys train or know of a good place to train around this area.

i'm practice a little ju jitsu, and some tai chi. i want to find a dojo that teaches some forms or strikes that are street effective and not just for show.

any help would be greatly appreciated

grumble grumble :::Fucking newbs:::: grumble :::pansy cyberkwoon:::

Okay **** brain what kind of tai chi are you taking that's not teaching striking? Chose the wrong school didn't you?....garrr.....this is the stupid list you're giving me? Do you realize one of the instructors is in fucking Northridge? Geeze I'm dealing with amateurs.....let me look again...

gah, and can't recommend any of these guys you need to narrow the list to a specific location and group of cities.