PDA

View Full Version : Hello internet people who can beat me up!

Malkur
8/04/2010 1:24am,
Hello, Hello!

My name is James, I'm from New Jersey and a complete martial arts novice.

I've taken a few 'MMA' classes here and there, and despite being woefully out of shape kept up nicely.

I've been interested in Martial Arts since I was a kid, but for much of my life my single mother could never afford Martial Arts for me; no matter how many times I asked Santa.

When I turned sixteen, I searched high and low for a job and have not found one until last week, I am now almost nineteen.

I've been watching MMA since PRIDE, and have always loved the Japanese Martial Arts, such as Karate and Judo and so on. When I began looking for schools of either in my area after getting a job, I became very quickly overwhelmed with the huge amounts of variants, styles and 'McDojo' aspect of some of it.

I want to make it clear.

I don't wanna be a carebear.

I have searched for quite some time for full contact Karate like I see in Japanese videos sometimes. Not just Kyokushin, which is a wonderful Knockdown style, but full contact karate.

I think some people might call it 'gloved' karate, since noobs wear gloves and headgear apparently. I do want to make it clear, I'm not even sure this stuff exists in the U.S., and would like some insight on if it does.

I am also very interested in Judo, but not so much the Olympic heavily ruled type, I like the more traditional style which I have no idea what it is called.

Beyond that, I would also settle for a decent pure BJJ school.

But I am rambling and feel it best I get to the point.

Can anyone help me find decent Martial Arts schools of any kind in the Ocean County, New Jersey area?

Dargentus
8/04/2010 4:43am,
hey James welcome to the site.

Why pick Karate?

Snake Plissken
8/04/2010 10:19am,
Hello, Hello!

My name is James, I'm from New Jersey and a complete martial arts novice.

I've taken a few 'MMA' classes here and there, and despite being woefully out of shape kept up nicely.

I've been interested in Martial Arts since I was a kid, but for much of my life my single mother could never afford Martial Arts for me; no matter how many times I asked Santa.

When I turned sixteen, I searched high and low for a job and have not found one until last week, I am now almost nineteen.
Good for you.
Training that YOU and YOU alone are responsible for is generally going to be of more worth then the training someone else is paying for.

You are working to earn money and exchanging it for your training in place of numerous other items. That ramps up the relative value and relative worth.

I've been watching MMA since PRIDE, and have always loved the Japanese Martial Arts, such as Karate and Judo and so on. When I began looking for schools of either in my area after getting a job, I became very quickly overwhelmed with the huge amounts of variants, styles and 'McDojo' aspect of some of it.

I want to make it clear.

I don't wanna be a carebear.

I have searched for quite some time for full contact Karate like I see in Japanese videos sometimes. Not just Kyokushin, which is a wonderful Knockdown style, but full contact karate.

I think some people might call it 'gloved' karate, since noobs wear gloves and headgear apparently. I do want to make it clear, I'm not even sure this stuff exists in the U.S., and would like some insight on if it does.

I think a nice mix of Judo and Kyokushin would be an excellent beginning.
this thread, while full of a shitty OP, has some really fun Kyokushin vids:
Losing respect for Kyokushin or I'm a douche bag. - No BS MMA and Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98908)
towards the middle and end of the thread, which shows Kyokushin fighters engaging in a tournament ruleset which allows headshots. So don't let that keep you out of the Kyokushin dojo.
Why don't you let us know *where* in Ocean County New Jersey you are and perhaps a poster from your area could let you know, unless you are willing to travel and, if so, how far?

I am also very interested in Judo, but not so much the Olympic heavily ruled type, I like the more traditional style which I have no idea what it is called.
There are several well-respected Judoka on the site who can let you know what is and isn't Judo, however at this juncture in your training, if you found a Judo school try it out.

Beyond that, I would also settle for a decent pure BJJ school.
Now, generally speaking, and I stress the GENERALLY, you could probably train in both Kyokushin AND Judo for around the same price or less then BJJ.
What would you like to learn? some striking and kicking AND throws and a some submissions from Kyokushin and Judo
-or-
mostly grappling and submissions with a few throws learned later on?

Personally, I would go for Kyokushin and Judo and then later start working some BJJ in when I was comfortable with getting the guy to the ground first and then expanding what I could do to him second.

Welcome to the site, brother!