PDA

View Full Version : Judo or Wing Chun?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 1:22am,
Recently decided to Take up a martial art for both defense and health reasons. I'm a Pretty hefty guy at 325 and 5'10" (yeah, yeah, i'm a fat ass....hence the reason to lose weight). Anyways, i checked out the local Judo Club and it seems pretty awesomeand one of the other large guys said he burns off weight pretty good in there. also checked out the local Kwoon taught by Eddie Chong(pan nam wing chun/ip man wing chun/foshan bak mei) and one of theinstructors did a few techniques on me that did impress me. so would all you experienced guys let me know what u think i should take? and i can't take both becuzthey fall on the same days and the same time.

Emevas
7/22/2010 1:25am,
Judo.

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 1:27am,
Judo.

uh...mind being a little more clear on why?

TheRuss
7/22/2010 1:32am,

Because these are martial arts forums, and judo's the only martial art you listed as an option. If these were interpretive dance forums, we'd be recommending the chun.

Emevas
7/22/2010 1:39am,

Russ' answer is satisfactory, but additionally, Judo, as a sport, is going to be more conducive to weight loss, as it's going to be more cardiovascularlly intensive and have peers that are more competitive and active.

A quick search on the forums of Wing Chun will also explain why one would oppose choosing Wing Chun.

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 1:43am,
yeah i have noticed the chun hatred going on. not that it bothers me either way. too many people get butt hurt easy on this site, whether its bjj, wc, jkd, etc. but anyways i like your second answer emevas. Russ no offense but u kinda suck at explaining.

battlefields
7/22/2010 1:43am,
Look, the others are correct, Judo is your best bet. There are many reasons that I will lightly touch on here:

1. Chun sucks.
2. Judo is awesome.
3. Chun teachers show you "cool" tricks that ruin you into thinking they will make you a deadly killer, but for fighting and health reasons are total horseshit. They will tell you these skills work, but then tell you you can't test them because they will kill people.
4. Judo teachers show you things that work and you get to test if they work in an environment designed to test if things work. Then you will find out they work.
5. The...

**** it, just do judo, trust me. Chun sucks.

If you have the chance check out the rest of this site you will understand why. In fact, I recommend you do so. I also recommend not telling people on this site how the chun guy did this and it worked, because it didn't, he just made you think it did.

battlefields
7/22/2010 1:44am,
And Russ explained it better than me, you just suck at comprehension.

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 1:45am,
i see...what about me being a huge dude? this gonna screw me up in judo?

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 1:46am,
And Russ explained it better than me, you just suck at comprehension.

well at least i don't suck as much as yo mama....booyah.:jerkit2yf

Emevas
7/22/2010 1:49am,
i see...what about me being a huge dude? this gonna screw me up in judo?

It's going to screw you up in everything, but Judo at least has a significant chance of helping fix that condition compared to Wing Chun.

You're probably going to run into people that aren't going to want to train with you, because you're going to be very difficult and potentially dangerous to throw, but there could also be some super heavyweights that would appreciate another big partner. Really, talk to your local Judo coach and see if he has room for you.

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 1:52am,
yeah it definitley is going to be a hinderance till its gone. but on the bright side, the judo club does have a handful of pretty big ass dudes. i guess they will probably wanna spar the most.

battlefields
7/22/2010 1:54am,
You are lucky this is newbietown, kid.

Your size will be a distinct advantage in Judo against other noobs, it will play against you by more experienced players, however as you get better, it will become an advantage again. You will lose weight, though, specifically fat.

You have your answer from us here, kid. Now, you can either be the delusional dumb arse that says, screw the experienced martial artists, I'll become a chunning warrior with techniques too deadly to use, or you will become the real bad arse judo player throwing chunning warriors to their doom.

Why not go to Judo and tell us about it later in this thread? You would receive a thumbs up from almost everyone here.

Emevas
7/22/2010 1:55am,
As a heavier trainee, I will vouch for both enjoying other bigger training partners and smaller training partners being hesitant to train with you. Additionally, smaller guys tend to freak out and throw all control out the window when going against a bigger guy. Communication is the key.

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 2:03am,
easy tiger i'm just messin with ya. anyways u most likely will hear back about judo so keep an eye open. tell me the truth though, can u mess some one up with a judo throw on the street?

VegaManX7
7/22/2010 2:06am,
You are lucky this is newbietown, kid.

Your size will be a distinct advantage in Judo against other noobs, it will play against you by more experienced players, however as you get better, it will become an advantage again. You will lose weight, though, specifically fat.

You have your answer from us here, kid. Now, you can either be the delusional dumb arse that says, screw the experienced martial artists, I'll become a chunning warrior with techniques too deadly to use, or you will become the real bad arse judo player throwing chunning warriors to their doom.

Why not go to Judo and tell us about it later in this thread? You would receive a thumbs up from almost everyone here.

no need to worry about the delusional stuff. if i was lame like that i would be talking about the bujinkan or some ****.