PDA

View Full Version : Women in MMA article

Pages : [1] 2 3

helmutlvx
7/20/2010 11:46am,
I checked Digg earlier and saw this article entitled "10 Knockout Gorgeous Women in MMA".

http://gamevip.com/2010/07/10-knockout-gorgeous-women-in-mma/

Now, I was expecting some gussied-up glamour shots of some chick fighters with okay records and nice bodies.

Instead, the article is all about ring girls. And Gina Carano. I should've expected this, but it still angers me.

Look at fuckin Felice Herrig. I don't think it would have been hard to find 10 above-average chicks with decent fight records.
http://www.mmamadhouse.com/images/felice-herrig-0.jpg

Okay, Bullies. Let's make a better list of Hot Fighter Chicks. Nudes welcome.

(This probably would have been better in LLL, but I wasn't sure.)

Torakaka
7/20/2010 11:51am,
I hate MMA so much some times.

TheMightyMcClaw
7/20/2010 12:05pm,
I really hate the tendency for people to immediately fetishize anything that involves women.
Reading that article was like watching someone masturbate in public; I felt awkward and ashamed on their behalf.

helmutlvx
7/20/2010 12:12pm,
My problem isn't with the blatant sexism presented, because it's, y'know, blatant.

It's a misleading premise. I assumed I would see attractive fighters involved in the sport, including what MAs they train in and their records. Even if there is an exploitative angle, exposure for females in MMA is worth it.

But that is just my opinion.

recourse
7/20/2010 12:47pm,
How common and boring is that article? All those women look like any other model. Sure they are pretty but they all look like everyone else. Show me a fit women who has been rolling for an hour in a soaked gi and I'll start paying more attention.

HereBeADragon
7/20/2010 1:52pm,
Show me a fit women who has been rolling for an hour in a soaked gi.

Yes I second that. ;)

Craig Jenkins
7/20/2010 2:01pm,
I'm sure that after an hour of kicking ass she'll be thrilled to think the creep in the corner thinks she's hot.

Honestly, if she's on the mat and working hard, she probably deserves some respect, no? Time and place guys.

HereBeADragon
7/20/2010 2:29pm,
Yes and then she will laugh when you trip and fall off your high horse. There is nothing wrong with finding a hard training grappling woman sexy.

Soldiermedic
7/20/2010 2:38pm,
Yes and then she will laugh when you trip and fall off your high horse. There is nothing wrong with finding a hard training grappling woman sexy.

It can be a HUGE problem if you are the one grappling with her at the time.

Another great reason to always wear a cup.

HereBeADragon
7/20/2010 2:52pm,
It can be a HUGE problem if you are the one grappling with her at the time.

Another great reason to always wear a cup.

Been there and know what you mean! Its very difficult to break a guard while thinking about baseball. ;)

In all seriousness thou I hope more women get into MMA and contact oriented martial arts. They are just as strong and capable of whooping ass as men and I think there is a great deal of empowerment and confidence that comes to women who engage in martial arts.

Women are always going to be sexualized by men. Its imbedded in our genes and you wont change millions of years of evolution over night but I think it is an improvement to sexualize them because of their abilities, talents and accomplisments as opposed to just their looks.

karma2343
7/20/2010 2:55pm,
I agree with you in general. Though I think we can all agree the article posted is quite demeaning.

Mixed martial arts, the full contact combat sport, is most popular amongst men for the extreme fighting and – of course – for the extremely hot babes. I know we can both agree on the matter. If still in doubt, then here’s a hot top ten of these knockout MMA babes that will leave you stunned!

Oh and, please… no drooling on the keyboard!
It looks like something straight out of Maxim (or Tits For Men).

HereBeADragon
7/20/2010 3:13pm,
Oh I agree the article was written by a jackass.

battlefields
7/20/2010 6:42pm,
I got the Girls of MMA app on my iphone. It has the obligatory models page, but they actually have female MMA fighters in videos, news, interviews etc. It's not too bad.

callum828
7/20/2010 6:58pm,
B
In all seriousness thou I hope more women get into MMA and contact oriented martial arts. They are just as strong and capable of whooping ass as men and I think there is a great deal of empowerment and confidence that comes to women who engage in martial arts.

Do you GENUINELY think that women are as strong as men or do mean that women are equally interested in MMA as men? Because neither are true.

Soldiermedic
7/20/2010 7:01pm,
Do you GENUINELY think that women are as strong as men or do mean that women are equally interested in MMA as men? Because neither are true.

Sshh! The grownups are talking

Soldiermedic
7/20/2010 7:02pm,
Incidentally, my 2 favorite women's mma fighters are Amanda Buckner and Roxanne Modaferri.