PDA

View Full Version : Does this place look legit

bcmmaperson
7/19/2010 7:27pm,
http://www.columbiamartialarts.ca/index.html
That's the site. Does the place look legit. And has anyone in the Vancouver area ever gone and tried it out there?

edit - I'm also going to add another question. So on the Marcus Soares website it says that his location is at 7759 Edmonds St as well as some other locations,and then there's a website for Columbia Martial arts with the same address. Well this site is completely different then the stuff it says on the marcus soares website. so is it the same thing or what?

sorry if i confuse anyone.

MrJ
7/20/2010 9:34am,
Not sure what to make of it. Not really impressive as a website, but I did not see anything that I would call bullshit on, either. I looked at the website, which is no substitute for visiting the facility or personal experience training.

Under the instructor's page it only has photographs. There are no names mentioned, doesn't state what styles they are ranked in under who, doesn't give any fight records. Maybe it is an omission because of website design and they are good instructors, but that struck me as odd.

Under the styles section, it describes "full contact karate" and mentions Mas Oyama. There is no claim of ranking in the Kyokushin style. There is claim of a Muay Thai influence on kyokushin - Would anyone be able to comment on the accuracy of the following statement?

"After fighting challenge matches in Thailand, Mas Oyama’s students further discovered the power of Muay-Thai. Upon arriving back to Japan they added new circular techniques as well as modified some of the old linear moves to create the trademark techniques of the new style known as kyokushin. The most devastating weapon of Full Contact Karate is Gedan Mawashi-geri (Low Kick). This technique is capable of breaking four baseball bats tied together with one single kick."

It also mentions jiu jitsu, but they specifically stated that it was not BJJ.

Not sure what to make of it. In terms of being "legit" I don't see that they have made any claims to be what they are not. If they have a good facility, charge reasonable prices for their program and don't make false or exaggerated claims then there is no reason to state they are not legit. However, i find it strange that the instructors do not post their qualifications and experience.

Vorpal
7/20/2010 9:59am,
I also thought it was strange that they just posted pictures of the instructors without bios. At first glance it looks like a mixed bag TMA school trying to ride the MMA wave. It's impossible to tell from that site. I would start looking elsewhere frankly.

bcmmaperson
7/20/2010 12:58pm,
Yeah it seemed kinda sketchy to me, but marcus soares teaches there and kestings is listed as an instructor so I might as well go an check out the place

battusai
7/20/2010 4:18pm,
If you want to consider other places, look up or visit "Total Martial Arts". It has BJJ listed as one of the styles it teaches. It's somewhere in 6th street in New Westminster. I have no personal experience with them but I always see people rolling when I walk home from boxing.

callum828
7/20/2010 4:27pm,
Under the styles section, it describes "full contact karate" and mentions Mas Oyama. There is no claim of ranking in the Kyokushin style. There is claim of a Muay Thai influence on kyokushin - Would anyone be able to comment on the accuracy of the following statement?

"After fighting challenge matches in Thailand, Mas Oyama’s students further discovered the power of Muay-Thai. Upon arriving back to Japan they added new circular techniques as well as modified some of the old linear moves to create the trademark techniques of the new style known as kyokushin. The most devastating weapon of Full Contact Karate is Gedan Mawashi-geri (Low Kick). This technique is capable of breaking four baseball bats tied together with one single kick."

Kyokushin did combine the linear moves of shotokan with the more circular ones of another karate style (gojo ryu I think). And at one point several of Oyama's students did fight in Muay Thai competitions. However the two are not linked in any way. Likewise there probably are kyokushin students who can break four baseball bats or whatever, but a low kick is just a low kick.

Either this guy is deliberately misrepresenting what he teaches, mentioning MT and Kyo as they are known as strong styles. Or more likely, he just hasn't done his homework.

michael1984uk
7/21/2010 8:58am,
Kyokushin did combine the linear moves of shotokan with the more circular ones of another karate style (gojo ryu I think). And at one point several of Oyama's students did fight in Muay Thai competitions. However the two are not linked in any way. Likewise there probably are kyokushin students who can break four baseball bats or whatever, but a low kick is just a low kick.

Either this guy is deliberately misrepresenting what he teaches, mentioning MT and Kyo as they are known as strong styles. Or more likely, he just hasn't done his homework.
Well I have to agree with you it is blatently obvious that this is a McDojo. And I say that because 1 there is no videos of his students sparring/kumite and 2 he hasn't listed his license details as a qualified sensei. and 3 don't sign anything during or after the introductory class.

MrJ
7/21/2010 1:40pm,
Yeah it seemed kinda sketchy to me, but marcus soares teaches there and kestings is listed as an instructor so I might as well go an check out the place

What does it mean when they use Marcus Soares name? Does he regularily teach there, do the occasional seminar or is the school somehow affiliated with him?

bcmmaperson
7/21/2010 2:39pm,
Umm wel he Marcus has a couple of places around this area but yes I think on his website he mentioned that he visits his all his places on a regular basis to help. So umm idk. I think I may just try an introductory class at Gracie Barra instead

MrJ
7/23/2010 9:39am,
Under affiliates on Marcus Soares dot com, four schools in BC are mentioned: Dynamic Mixed Martial Arts, ZUMA (Zugec Martial Arts), Squamish Martial Arts
South Island Brazlian Jiu-Jitsu.
There is no mention of the school you were asking about (which unequivocally stated they were not BJJ). Maybe there was outdated address information on one of the websites.