PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Outside of Class?

shutterspeed
7/13/2010 2:39pm,
Anyone avoid doing any outside of class?

I've tried to maintain a work-out routine outside of BJJ, but I feel like the workouts affect my ability to participate in in-class conditioning and drills because of soreness/weakness from prior workouts.

How do you guys deal with this?

HereBeADragon
7/13/2010 3:37pm,
structure you workout around your BJJ thats how. Do work that will aid in recovery from your BJJ and build strength and mobility in ranges that will aid you on the mat.

CrackFox
7/13/2010 5:12pm,
Prioritise the BJJ and ease yourself into doing the extra work. That might mean going into the gym and doing embarrassingly little at first, but it's better than overdoing it, injuring yourself and missing loads of classes. The important thing is that you keep increasing the workload gradually and don't stagnate.

Also it's worth looking at your diet, as that can have a big effect on your recovery.

serey
7/13/2010 5:33pm,
from my understanding you should do your workouts before skill work. what kind of conditioning are you doing in class? and how intense is it?
soreness is probably related to rest time. also stretching is a big part but you probably do that for bjj anyways.

shutterspeed
7/13/2010 9:45pm,
from my understanding you should do your workouts before skill work. what kind of conditioning are you doing in class? and how intense is it?

Jogging, bear crawls, blurpies, jumping jacks, hindu squats and pushups, etc., etc... the usual BJJ warmups/conditioning. But after warmups, drills, and rolling, I come home feeling like I've worked every muscle group in my body.

For example, I worked out my arms before class once. The next day we drilled transitioning from cross body to mount. I had a really difficult time bracing my body, while sitting through to move my partner's arm out of the way, because my arms felt dead.

Can be difficult working from the guard with spent thigh muscles, too.

Things like that.

Just so happened I partnered with a guy today who had evidently hit that P90X program pretty hard the day before. He had to bow out of a couple of drills after warmups.

CrackFox
7/14/2010 2:52am,
from my understanding you should do your workouts before skill work.
This isn't generally true. For beginners especially, you should be warmed up, but still fresh when doing skill work.

gregaquaman
7/14/2010 7:42am,
how often do you train?
I think this affects people who go a couple of times a week rather than say four or five.

I have just pushed up to 2 classes a night and it took about 3 weeks to get used to the work load.
I dont do weights though