PDA

View Full Version : Should i do BJJ or listen to my father?

Pages : [1] 2

Billy89
7/03/2010 10:29pm,
Hi there everyone, i'm new to this forum and for the last few months i've been trying to decide on what type of martial arts i should study, initially i was attracted to Krav Maga but after reading soo many conflicting opinions (most of which rubbish the system), i am now inclined towards taking it safe and picking up something like muay thai or BJJ, having said that i am looking into possibly joining the Garcie Barra place in Birmingham, so firstly i wanted to ask what you guys thought of the place as a whole? i.e pricing, quality of training, atmosphere etc.

Apart from that the other day i was just talking to my father who himself did a bit of martial arts when he was younger (kung fu), and while discussing my intentions he recommended me studying from some guy he's known for maybe 20 years, this "mate" of his has a small place in which he trains maybe a handful of guys, so initially i wasn't to sure about it, yet my father is adamant that hes a good martial artist, he also spoke about this guy training from a young age and is still till this day studying martial arts (which seems somewhat promising right?), so guys how would you recommend me dealing with this? i'm gonna go visit his place in a few days to view his training and i'd thought i get some suggestions as to what i should be looking out for, or maybe what questions i should be asking? (oh and if it helps he's teaching ju-jitsu).

:5thanks:

It is Fake
7/03/2010 10:42pm,
No, it only sounds promising if we knew what they taught. Kung fu is to random a term to classify.

2groggy
7/03/2010 10:45pm,
OK, I have more questions than answers.
1) Do you live under the same roof as your father?
2) Are you an asset or a liability? In other words, have you earned your air today?

It all comes down to the golden rule - He who has the gold makes the rules. so, if you are financially independent, then be a man and do what you want. However, if you are a minor, student and/or middle aged unemployed slob that still hasn't moved out of the basement, then you might find it politically expedient to take your father's advice, unwanted and uninformed though it may be.

Now if you are still a student, wrestling on the school team is free and will tide you over until you have your own money to spend.

It is also just a mater of time until somebody says "Judo = cheap and widely available".

That being said, I have no knowledge of any of your local clubs' credentials.

BTW, do I have to mention that I'm an old fart?

JKDChick
7/03/2010 11:58pm,
The only real test to to train in both places and be where you enjoy yourself the most AND ARE ALSO FULFILLING YOUR GOALS.

If you just want to train to train, go with your happy. If you want to learn to fight, go with BJJ, supplement with a striking art and prepare to get your butt kicked every day for at least a year.

alex
7/04/2010 1:14am,
yeah your dad is probably wrong. my dad wanted me to continue with kung fu instead of taking up muay thai, until he came along to one of my fights and was like "damn you smashed that dude, way better than when you were a skinny little girl doing kung fu"

Jim_Jude
7/04/2010 1:24am,
Jeezus Christ, did none of you take the time to read the post? He said that the guys his father recommends teaches "ju-jitsu". I'm drunk to the fucking gills right now and I read the OP's post correctly. What's your fucking excuse???

OP, you must go both classes to figure if they're going to give you what you need. That's it.

alex
7/04/2010 1:37am,
because im guessing its jap ju jitsu not bra ju jitsu.

could be wrong though, but im betting im not.

Dsimon3387
7/04/2010 2:55am,
Hi there everyone, i'm new to this forum and for the last few months i've been trying to decide on what type of martial arts i should study, initially i was attracted to Krav Maga but after reading soo many conflicting opinions (most of which rubbish the system), i am now inclined towards taking it safe and picking up something like muay thai or BJJ, having said that i am looking into possibly joining the Garcie Barra place in Birmingham, so firstly i wanted to ask what you guys thought of the place as a whole? i.e pricing, quality of training, atmosphere etc.

Apart from that the other day i was just talking to my father who himself did a bit of martial arts when he was younger (kung fu), and while discussing my intentions he recommended me studying from some guy he's known for maybe 20 years, this "mate" of his has a small place in which he trains maybe a handful of guys, so initially i wasn't to sure about it, yet my father is adamant that hes a good martial artist, he also spoke about this guy training from a young age and is still till this day studying martial arts (which seems somewhat promising right?), so guys how would you recommend me dealing with this? i'm gonna go visit his place in a few days to view his training and i'd thought i get some suggestions as to what i should be looking out for, or maybe what questions i should be asking? (oh and if it helps he's teaching ju-jitsu).

:5thanks:

I don't agree that it is a given you will learn how to fight better if you go to the Gracie school... I see this myth get beat down a lot lately. But you are (still) guaranteed a certain quality and uniformity you may not get under other circumstances.

If you took 10 guys who teach a small group out of their garage most would not be very good. Some teachers are great and don't want to be commercial though. Your problem is you cannot evaluate as a beginner. Keep that in mind and try to solve that problem and you will then be able to see which situation is better.

maofas
7/04/2010 3:26am,
Maybe do a year of something standardized & legit so you have a basis of comparison? Then you can go nuts checking out random garage dojos and hopefully be able to recognize crap from decent?

Jim_Jude
7/04/2010 3:31am,
ok ok its getting too easy now, ill stop.

A drunk typo isn't "the trewth", nor is it "ill stop"...

however I do agree, you just stop.

but only if you promise to stop being a fat baldy drunk sitting at home on his computer arguing with a random internet personaso now you're a "persona"? Are your posts not a representation of your true feelings or opinions? Or are you a Sirc from the inferior hemisphere? no, wait. You're just a ****-talking little ****. That's it. Case settled.

judoist
7/04/2010 7:50am,
There is no simple answer to what you're asking. You have to check out both places. Check out the style and quality of instruction, the ammount of personal attention that every student recieves etc. Generally speaking, Gracie Barra is practically guaranteed to be good: the team is well known, they constantly produce quality groundfighters, and have the most gold medals at the World BJJ Championships (they have over twice as much medals than the second place holders). But still, check out the other school. Kung fu isn't the right thing for everyone, but it may be the right thing for you. Good luck.

Lu Tze
7/04/2010 8:28am,
You should always listen to your dad. Always.

The trick is, is realising that he isn't always right. It's part of growing up.

Diesel_tke
7/04/2010 8:38am,
Well, OP, seeing that Kung Fu and Jiu-jitsu do not compute, I would say there are some facts that need to be straitened out. So what is the guy REALLY teaching. What is the name of his school or style?

You know gracie barra is legit, but who is going to be paying for the classes? If your dad is paying, then you may have to go to the other place regardless. If they teach good Kung Fu then you will not be doing too much that is counter productive. And you will at least be learning good body mechanics that can be transitioned to BJJ when you feel like it.

Billy89
7/04/2010 9:08am,
Jeezus Christ, did none of you take the time to read the post? He said that the guys his father recommends teaches "ju-jitsu". I'm drunk to the fucking gills right now and I read the OP's post correctly. What's your fucking excuse???

OP, you must go both classes to figure if they're going to give you what you need. That's it.

Lol i don't want to get myself into trouble seeing as though i'm new lol, but i'm glad you recognised that the guy my father was talking about IS the one teaching ju-jitsu, and that it is my FATHER who did kung fu (i know to general).

Billy89
7/04/2010 9:27am,
There is no simple answer to what you're asking. You have to check out both places. Check out the style and quality of instruction, the ammount of personal attention that every student recieves etc. Generally speaking, Gracie Barra is practically guaranteed to be good: the team is well known, they constantly produce quality groundfighters, and have the most gold medals at the World BJJ Championships (they have over twice as much medals than the second place holders). But still, check out the other school. Kung fu isn't the right thing for everyone, but it may be the right thing for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply,

the thing is that if this guy is teaching out of his garage, i'm guessing he won't carry the same level of organisation and professionalism as some big clubs right? Also would it help if i asked about qualifications and credentials? Furthermore just to get one thing clear guys it is my father who did Kung fu, i mentioned this since if he himself was involved in some sort of discipline, his opinion could be more informed right?

Lastly at the moment i'm still a student living at home, however it would be most likely that i would have to pay for the fees, so money isn't the issue i guess, it's just if i take my fathers option i want to do so with the utmost confidence.

legomepanda
7/04/2010 10:01am,
So your choices are BJJ and some guy who is screwing around in a garage? I wouldnt over think this one.

Unless this garage guy has some miraculous redeeming credentials.