PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here really tested their Wing Chun?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Streetfighter
11/11/2002 5:51pm,
I never hear any stories about how Wing Chun help you win in a real life situation, and I also hear that when you know Wing Chun you don't need to get in fights. So how the hell do you know if it works?

bncwd
11/11/2002 5:58pm,
Well, if you have done different MA for a consistent period of time, and if you've some full-contact sparring and ring experience, I think you can understand with a certain degree of confidence if what you are learning is useful or not.

About the fact that with WC you don't need to get in fights, I don't understand what you are saying, please elaborate.

Edited by - bncwd on November 11 2002 17:00:05

matzahbal
11/11/2002 6:00pm,
I study Wing Chun for a little over a year and this past weekend I got into a fight. It works.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals

Streetfighter
11/11/2002 6:10pm,
Matzahbal,

What exactly did you use that was wing chun that worked for you?

ksmythe
11/11/2002 7:25pm,
Matzabahl
Who do you train with?

"You were bored .... so you thought you'ld try some kung fu"

Deadpan Scientist
11/11/2002 7:32pm,
Do you ever NEED to get in fights? You may need to fight, but unless you have some psychological disorder, you don't need go looking for them...

matzahbal
11/11/2002 8:18pm,
The principals that came of use in the fight were centerline punching and "in a fight you will get hit" (he grazed my left eye with his left hand, but that gave me the oppurtunity to trap him).

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals

matzahbal
11/11/2002 8:20pm,
Ksmythe, and why do you care about where I study? Using a quote from you in previous post in another Topic about Wing Chun

"No it's crap. WC is pure unadulterated crap. People like Little_Ideas and matzahbal can give their WC/WT/VT apologetics all day long and it isn't going to change that."

So if it's pure crap why do you care who I study under?

Edited by - matzahbal on November 11 2002 19:21:13

Me_Roy
11/11/2002 8:28pm,
Matzahbal-

I am sometimes concered about the amount of power I can muster punching over the top of a trap or jum sau. Were you able to give it some kick?

Best

Roy

ksmythe
11/11/2002 8:32pm,
Just axin' man... don't get all crazy now! Just wondering what your lineage is.

"Gentleman! There's no fighting in here! This is the War Room!"

PeedeeShaolin
11/11/2002 8:33pm,
In case your wondering ksmythe, that means matzahbal is full of shiit.

"The only "ancient" art that's worth a damn is Wrestling.
Pretty much everything else that is called "ancient" is just masturbation without touching your genitals." -Phrost

matzahbal
11/11/2002 8:51pm,
Me Roy, abosolutely. You should be learning it at the end of sil lum tao, in the last 3 movements before chain punching, it's called sut tso (my spelling sucks). It means "Complicated movement" basicly teaching one hand to do one thing while the other is doing something else while putting out power at the same time.

matzahbal
11/11/2002 8:54pm,
Ksmythe, my lineage is Sifu Sean Meyer > Master Heimberger > Grand Master Ip Ching.

PeedeeShaolin, the only person that values your opinion is yourself.

J Zen
11/11/2002 8:55pm,
Technique-wise, I have found WC centre-line attack theory to be quite useful especially when dealing with opponents who like to use hook punches or roundhouse kicks. But the trapping and sticky hand techniques are a lot less effective than they seem when dealing with people who have basic boxing skill. Hands trapping seem to work on opponents who adopt a somewhat stiff arms posture or ones who don't have offensive mindset and are intimidated by your offense and thus easily allow you to close-in, trap his limbs and innitiate a strike, i.e. trapping seems to only work on the unskilled or inferior opponent.

Dorje
11/11/2002 9:02pm,
spot on!

matzahbal
11/11/2002 9:11pm,
But the trapping and sticky hand techniques are a lot less effective than they seem when dealing with people who have basic boxing skill. Hands trapping seem to work on opponents who adopt a somewhat stiff arms posture or ones who don't have offensive mindset and are intimidated by your offense and thus easily allow you to close-in, trap his limbs and innitiate a strike, i.e. trapping seems to only work on the unskilled or inferior opponent.

That's what Chi Sao should be teaching you, to feel for when the opponent is going to commit to something and then from there you can trap. There really shouldn't be a reason for trapping unless that person gives you the opportunity to do so, like you pointed out.