PDA

View Full Version : Learning to wrestle after high school

Southpaw90
6/27/2010 8:56pm,
I've been very interested in learning how to wrestle, however I just turned 20 and I didn't wrestle in high school. I'm more interested in wrestling than I am jujitsu, but it seems like jujitsu is a lot more popular and easier to find in my area (San Diego). Does anyone have ideas for finding a wrestling club in my area? It seems like every club I've found so far is just for those high school age and below.

I figure wrestling is such a big sport there must be clubs for those of all ages, I just haven't been able to find them so far. I live near downtown San Diego and I'd be willing to travel about 30-45 minutes. Does anyone have ideas of where to look, or at my age is it unlikely I'll find anything? I know some colleges have wrestling teams, I assume that's only for experienced wrestlers though and they don't have any sort of beginner programs?

There are a lot of MMA gyms in my area, but almost all of them just have jujitsu, and even the ones that mention wrestling classes don't have them on the schedule. Also, I know that some MMA gyms just teach watered down versions of several martial arts, and sometimes it's better to go to a club specifically for the art you wanna learn (boxing gyms for boxing, wrestling gym for wrestling, etc.). I realize it's a long shot but if anyone knows how I could find a wrestling club in my area I'd appreciate the help.

helmutlvx
6/27/2010 9:52pm,
I would suggest not discounting jujitsu/BJJ.

When I trained in BJJ, the club was associated with the local university and many (4 out of 7 or so) in the advanced classes were wrestlers.

Southpaw90
6/28/2010 12:26am,
Oh I'm definitely not discounting it. I have rolled with a couple BJJ guys before and I want to learn more about that martial art in the future as well. For now though, I'm hoping to start with wrestling, because that is just the art I'm more interested in. Plus my dad was a wrestler so that influences my decision a bit as well.

Conde Koma
6/28/2010 2:24am,
can your dad teach you? otherwise, not sure how many options you have outside of college. or you can try talking to those high school camps and see if they'll let you in anyway, since you're not that far out of school.

MMAMickey
6/28/2010 7:31am,
join the bjj for now. alot of mma clubs do wrestling seminars or occasionally bring in wrestling coaches. and as already stated, many bjj classes have more than a few wrestlers to train with.

failing that you could try learning some judo and bringing it into the bjj game

jnp
6/28/2010 8:26am,
Contact a few local high school wrestling coaches and ask them if there any wrestling clubs for adults in your area. Local recreation centers and the YMCA might also be good places to ask.

Kintanon
6/28/2010 10:02am,
http://www.sdwrestling.org/ <--- they have adults programs.
They are definitely your best bet and if they aren't close enough for you they will know if there is anyone else in the area that you can train with.

Southpaw90
6/29/2010 12:47am,
can your dad teach you? otherwise, not sure how many options you have outside of college. or you can try talking to those high school camps and see if they'll let you in anyway, since you're not that far out of school.

Unfortunately not. He taught me some moves when I was younger but we live pretty far apart right now otherwise he'd definitely be coaching me.

join the bjj for now. alot of mma clubs do wrestling seminars or occasionally bring in wrestling coaches. and as already stated, many bjj classes have more than a few wrestlers to train with.

If I don't find any wrestling clubs I like I will probably go with BJJ, the only thing about BJJ is it seems like a lot of the best places are really expensive.

Contact a few local high school wrestling coaches and ask them if there any wrestling clubs for adults in your area. Local recreation centers and the YMCA might also be good places to ask.

I will definitely check with some rec centers, I have emailed a few high school coaches with no response, could be because it's not really wrestling season right now.

http://www.sdwrestling.org/ <--- they have adults programs.
They are definitely your best bet and if they aren't close enough for you they will know if there is anyone else in the area that you can train with.

Hillcrest isn't that far, it's a pretty weird area but the club looks like it's worth checking out.

Thanks for all the help everyone, if anyone has other suggestions feel free to let me know.