PDA

View Full Version : How to protect toes?

Pages : [1] 2

capaloco
2/20/2004 3:16pm,
Since I started jiu-jitsu some weeks ago the main problem I find is protecting my toes. The mats in my dojo are not the better ones. They are just rectangular pieces which often get separated with movement. When you are in positions like the scarf-hold in the moment where you walk sideways so that your opponent can't escape, it often get my toes in the gaps.
In this moment I have the big toe getting better when I got it bend in a takedown and my little toe is swelling because of the gaps between the mats. I hope it's not broken.
Have you ever had this problem? Would using tapes around my toes a good idea?
Nobody in my dojo (we are 8) has tapes in the toes. Maybe I just use a bad technique while moving or I just have weak toes.
I'll ask about this in the next class but I'd like your opinion.

virtual_mantis
2/20/2004 3:31pm,
would they let you wear wrestling shoes. they're thin lite and offer basic protection for the toes and ankles.

capaloco
2/20/2004 3:38pm,
I'll ask

Deadpan Scientist
2/20/2004 3:42pm,
Tell your instructor he needs to get the mats locked in place by running a 3/4 in tall piece of wood(nailed to the floor, of course) all the way around the mats. They'll never move again

capaloco
2/20/2004 3:53pm,
The dojo is just a floor inside a gym. Nothing can be fixed as before our class there are gym classes. Mats are piled in a stack after class.

Deadpan Scientist
2/20/2004 3:57pm,
Maybe you guys need to fabricate something to hol them together. otherwise you'll just have to...

"Quit yer whining and pump some iron" or something like that.

Emevas
2/20/2004 4:00pm,
Steel toed boots
Bionic Toes
Amputate

JKDChick
2/20/2004 4:04pm,
Wrestling shoes. I can't take anymore broken toes, myself. I wear 'em 90% of the time.

katana
2/20/2004 8:22pm,
I'm with JKDChick. After yet another dislocated little toe a few weeks ago I'll always wear shoes (I took mine off because nobody else in class had theirs and I wanted to be nice in case I stepped on their feet). The other nice thing about wearing shoes is that if you can free your foot from ankle locks, etc. with a shoe on then doing it without shoes is much easier.

BTW capaloco. Did you end up going to that Hapkido (?) school or did you find a jiu-jitsu school down there?

Greese
2/21/2004 12:19am,
Push the matts togehter everytime their is a gap,

Toby Christensen
2/21/2004 12:35am,
I can't go barefoot so I'm getting some tailored boots

Hannibal
2/21/2004 12:48am,
Yaeh ya can't go past wrestling shoes or those special martial arts shoes Taekwondo people sometimes wear. If your instructor gives you any flack just tell him one of you toes is broken and footwear is the only comfortable way you can train. Why do dojo's have a problem with people having footwear anyway ?

Rashomon
2/21/2004 1:05am,
"Why do dojo's have a problem with people having footwear anyway ?"

This may be common sense, but the main thing is to make sure you ONLY wear your shoes inside and on the mat. Don't track dirt and rocks in from outside. I just thought I'd point that out, just in case.

Greese
2/21/2004 12:19pm,
Because in Judo it is a good way to get a knee broken. If the shoes grip when someone goes for a drop knee seio, their leg gets stuck while thier body weight goes forward and then they are out of commision.
It can happen with no shoes as well, but the probability increases a lot.

capaloco
2/21/2004 1:40pm,
Originally posted by katana
BTW capaloco. Did you end up going to that Hapkido (?) school or did you find a jiu-jitsu school down there?

It was not hapkido. It is japanese jiu-jitsu, supossedly dayto-ryu, which I was told it's a bit like aikido.
My toe got bad after trying to mantain my position in a scarf-hold while my opponent was fighting hard to go out so I think it's not as aikidish as I was told.
Sometimes he gives portuguese names to some techniques so I tend to think that it's not a pure traditional jiu-jitsu dojo.
He taught the bahiana takedown as an example. By the way, which is the japanese name for that? Is that the same as the well known 2-leg takedown?

Deluxe247
2/21/2004 2:30pm,
Originally posted by Hannibal
Yaeh ya can't go past wrestling shoes or those special martial arts shoes Taekwondo people sometimes wear. If your instructor gives you any flack just tell him one of you toes is broken and footwear is the only comfortable way you can train. Why do dojo's have a problem with people having footwear anyway ?

why does this guy even bother speaking?