PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn; Schools in NYC?

slowbro
5/18/2010 10:08pm,
I have no MA experience to speak of and I've never been in a fight. I am moving to NYC and will have some free time on my hands, so I thought I should learn Aikido ... Until I googled "Aikido Sucks" and landed here.

I'll be in NYC in a few months. I don't care what MA I learn, but I do want it to be self-defense oriented. I'll be traveling to a few third-world countries early next year and would like to be physically and mentally confident.

I read the Finding a Good Martial Arts School post but I would like specific advice on finding a school in NYC that can teach me some self-defense in a hurry AND one that I can continue with for a few years (after I get back from traveling).

TL;DR: Help! I've never been in a fight and need a good school in NYC for self-defense!!

BTW. I really dig the bullshido vibe around here. Looks like you've got an awesome community.

PizDoff
5/20/2010 12:47pm,
Welcome to the site.

Why are you so worried about self defense and being in a fight?

phunbaba
5/20/2010 1:42pm,
Hello, I am new here as well and am also looking for schools in NYC. I can not afford more than $200 a month so Renzo's is out. I also need a school that has morning classes. I have looked at the different schools online but was hoping someone here might have some recommendations to help narrow my search?

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
5/20/2010 2:20pm,
I would suggest the Combat SAMBO school of Stephen Koepfer.
Stephen posts here on BS.net under the name "sambosteve", so you can ask him for more information.

Feel free to come by his school. www.nycombatsambo.com (http://www.nycombatsambo.com)

With kind regards,
Zendo

Mtripp
5/20/2010 2:27pm,
I would suggest the Combat SAMBO school of Stephen Koepfer.
Stephen posts here on BS.net under the name "sambosteve", so you can ask him for more information.

Feel free to come by his school. www.nycombatsambo.com (http://www.nycombatsambo.com)

With kind regards,
Zendo

If my opinion means anything, the above is the BEST advise and the BEST place to go to.

Ming Loyalist
5/20/2010 2:54pm,
i also vote for ny combat sambo, but you might want to check out some of the judo dojos as well: kokushi budo institute, macburney ymca judo program or oishi judo.

mojo23
5/20/2010 4:04pm,
Both of the above are good suggestions.

To throw another into the ring Five Points isn't bad- does Judo, Muay Thai and Kali and has the advantage of not having to sign a contract or pay monthly. If you want, you can pay $25/day to take as many classes as you want. Also, has morning and evening classes.

Vorpal
5/20/2010 4:37pm,
Combat Sambo FTW. If I was in the city I'd be there.

phunbaba
5/21/2010 9:10am,
Thanks guys I will check them out!

Matt Phillips
5/21/2010 9:32am,
Combat Sambo FTW. If I was in the city I'd be there.
Hear, Hear!

If you are interested in pure striking, then I would also recommend Kru Phil Nurse's gym http://www.thewat.com/enter.html

For well rounded training NY Combat Sambo is the best.

Bear in mind, it is a SPORT club, but you will find that sport training is actually better for self defense than anything else because... wait for it... you can actually practice your techniques at full force, against people who are very, very good. THAT is where real confidence comes from: knowing you pulled the same move off yesterday against someone who is 100x better than the untrained meanie in front of you.

Welcome, and best of luck.

phunbaba
5/25/2010 1:45pm,
So I've been looking at the schools listed above but the only one I've found that offers BJJ every morning is Vitor Shaolin on 48th and 8th Ave. Also there is Equipe Jucao on 18th and 5th but it only offers Tues/Thurs morning classes. Anyone have any experience with either of these schools?

Edit: I should mention that I'm looking for schools that have morning grappling classes

Ming Loyalist
5/25/2010 1:57pm,
So I've been looking at the schools listed above but the only one I've found that offers BJJ every morning is Vitor Shaolin on 48th and 8th Ave. Also there is Equipe Jucao on 18th and 5th but it only offers Tues/Thurs morning classes. Anyone have any experience with either of these schools?

Edit: I should mention that I'm looking for schools that have morning grappling classes

you can check out ronin athletics, they have morning classes on tues/thurs and mid day classes as well, they will have more of an mma format, i would assume, but will be heavy on the submission grappling: http://www.roninathletics.com/schedule/

one of my old training bros is at vitor shaolin's school, but i haven't spoken to him much since he started going there, so i don't have much to tell you.

phunbaba
5/25/2010 9:08pm,
you can check out ronin athletics, they have morning classes on tues/thurs and mid day classes as well, they will have more of an mma format, i would assume, but will be heavy on the submission grappling: http://www.roninathletics.com/schedule/

one of my old training bros is at vitor shaolin's school, but i haven't spoken to him much since he started going there, so i don't have much to tell you.

Combat Sambo looks really cool but unfortunately I just don't have evenings available :( I will check out Ronin as well though, thanks.

PointyShinyBurn
5/26/2010 3:38am,
Shaolin is a very big deal as a grappler (World BJJ Champion three years in a row, bronze at the ADCC) and a fighter (Shooto champion at 154lbs). If I was anywhere near his school I'd definitely check it out.