PDA

View Full Version : So I had an interesting conversation

Pages : [1] 2

Alucard619
5/18/2010 11:13am,
With this guy in a CVS store the other day. I was in there looking for some ointment (damn sparring incident) when he walked by. I was wearing my red instructor's jacket so when he saw it he walked back over.

Him: "Hey"

Me:"?"

Him: "Yeah I noticed your jacket. Is that Karate or something else?"

Me: "It's Taekwondo"

Him: "Karate, Taekwondo. What's the difference?"

Me: "Karate is a Japanese martial art whilst Taekwondo is Korean. Though early Taekwondo is said to be influenced by certain Karate styles in its origin."

Him: "Oh ok. So what do you learn how to do?"

Me: "It's known primarily as a kicking art, from simple to flashy."

Him: "So all Taekwondo does is kicks?"

Me: "No not entirely. We use other strikes like knees, elbows and punches. And hand techniques like blocks."

Him: "Ah alright. So you could take out a Boxer or something right?"

Me: 'Well, it would depend."

Him: "On what?

Me: "On the experience and talent of the fighter. A well trained Boxer could beat a Taekwondoist and vice versa."

Him: "But don't Boxers only use fists? You have kicks AND your fists."

Me: "True but that doesn't mean I can go and challenge Vladimir Klitchsko to a fight and expect to just dominate with roundhouse kicks."

Him: *laughs* "Yeah thats true. Are there any Taekwondo guys in the UFC?"

Me: "Yeah there's some. They may not use it as their primary striking art but there are different fighters that hold black belts in it. Not jsut UFC but other MMA leagues also. Cung Le has a black belt in it, but his striking style is mostly San Shou kickboxing."

Him: "Ok ok. Ever though about going to the UFC?"

Me: "Nah that's not for me. I love MMA and I have a lot of respect and admiration for fighters that compete but I don't think it's the path for me."

Him: "What about grappling? Does Taekwondo do any grappling?"

Me: "It really depends on the instructor and the school. There are some Taekwondo schools where all they do is kick and Olympic style sparring. Where as others have a more balanced art where they do all aspects of fighting. Not just strikes. Mine for example did teach us throws, submission locks and a little grappling. Some Taekwondo schools even burrow it from other arts."

Him: "What do you mean burrow?"

Me: "Well there's another Korean martial art called Hapkido that has some similarities to Taekwondo. Hapkido though employs a lot more joint locks, throws and submissions along with striking, then Taekwondo. It's also very big on weapon use and defense against weapons from knives to guns. Some Taekwondo schools use techniques from Hapkido as part of their teaching."

Him: "Interesting"

Me: "Not just Hapkido but arts like Judo or Jiu-jitsu."

Him: "Wow man that's cool. So do you teach?"

Me: "Yeah I do."

Him: "That's good man. Well keep at it then take care."
*he walks away*

Me: "....yeah you too"

I should have told him Steven Lopez could beat Arthur Abraham in a fight.

BaronVonDingDong
5/18/2010 11:19am,
So what do you mean by "burrow"?

Squerlli
5/18/2010 11:21am,
Steven Lopez is the type of guy that I wouldn't mind if a brick was thrown at his junk.

Alucard619
5/18/2010 11:32am,
Steven Lopez is the type of guy that I wouldn't mind if a brick was thrown at his junk.
I admit when he really came into public as "OMG HES DA BESTEST TKD FIGHTER EVER" I was initially sucked into the hype.

Evil Solvalou
5/18/2010 11:53am,
So what do you mean by "burrow"?

bur·row 

[b]–noun
1. a hole or tunnel in the ground made by a rabbit, fox, or similar animal for habitation and refuge.
2. a place of retreat; shelter or refuge.

–verb (used without object)
3. to make a hole or passage in, into, or under something.
4. to lodge in a burrow.
5. to hide.
6. to proceed by or as if by digging.

–verb (used with object)
7. to put a burrow into (a hill, mountainside, etc.).
8. to hide (oneself), as in a burrow.
9. to make by or as if by burrowing: We burrowed our way through the crowd.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burrow

I think that should clear up the confusion. :5kidding:

Vorpal
5/18/2010 12:09pm,
bur·row 

[B]–noun
1. a hole or tunnel in the ground made by a rabbit, fox, or similar animal for habitation and refuge.
2. a place of retreat; shelter or refuge.

–verb (used without object)
3. to make a hole or passage in, into, or under something.
4. to lodge in a burrow.
5. to hide.
6. to proceed by or as if by digging.

–verb (used with object)
7. to put a burrow into (a hill, mountainside, etc.).
8. to hide (oneself), as in a burrow.
9. to make by or as if by burrowing: We burrowed our way through the crowd.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/burrow

I think that should clear up the confusion. :5kidding:

Awesome, can I borrow that?

Southpaw
5/18/2010 12:37pm,
Alucard619--

Congratulations on your simple conversation w/ a stranger. What I'm trying to figure out is why the hell you thought it was a good idea to post it on the internet. What function did that serve?

Might we be entertained by your interaction w/ the gas station attendant next?

I'm waiting on pins and needles...

Alucard619
5/18/2010 1:01pm,
Alucard619--

Congratulations on your simple conversation w/ a stranger. What I'm trying to figure out is why the hell you thought it was a good idea to post it on the internet. What function did that serve?

Might we be entertained by your interaction w/ the gas station attendant next?

I'm waiting on pins and needles...
Eh...I was a little bored as I was getting ready to go in to teach my classes. So you lot had to suffer as a result.

Oh and, no one made you click on the thread link and read. Could have just went "STFU LOLLER SKATEZ I BUTT RAPE WOMEN" and went about your merry way. :new_smile

Asriel
5/18/2010 1:16pm,
He probably clicked on the thread thinking your conversation was actually interesting

Mr. Machette
5/18/2010 2:04pm,
Why didn't you just do this until the police arrived?

YouTube- Cole DeRuse Extreme Form @ WKC Qualifier 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushMuwHzjoM)

It is Fake
5/18/2010 2:05pm,
You wore an advertisment you are now a reverse Tapout douche.

13ringinheat
5/18/2010 2:06pm,
Lame post. Lets start posting every boring and general convo we have remotely martial arts related.

devilboy7778
5/18/2010 9:06pm,
Why didn't you just do this until the police arrived?

YouTube- Cole DeRuse Extreme Form @ WKC Qualifier 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushMuwHzjoM)

Mr.Machette you make me laugh
I love how the guy just says nice after jumps or flips, stuff thats high, or fast.

NICEEEEE:5cold:

devilboy7778
5/18/2010 9:09pm,
Lame post. Lets start posting every boring and general convo we have remotely martial arts related.

Well there was this one time where my friend was like
Friend: Hey do you know Karate?
Me: Uh yeah I guess so
Friend: could you beat up everybody
Me: I wouldn't be able to, my teacher has told me that the only times I can use the art are in life or death situations dot dot dot
Friend: wow well I respect you and love you kbye
Me: Bye dude

Really though I could....
:home:

alex
5/18/2010 9:33pm,
**** you alucard, i read your whole taekwonversation there waiting for something cool or funny and there WAS NOTHING

jkdbuck76
5/18/2010 9:53pm,
Uhm, Alex.... he DID say "burrow" instead of "borrow."

Yeah. I'm gonna' go with that.