PDA

View Full Version : Cut weight for grappling tourney?

Pages : [1] 2 3

strikistanian
4/22/2010 11:38pm,
I'm doing a grappling tournament on saturday and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should cut weight for it. I'm currently walking at 147-148, so I'd be in the 145-154.9 category. I could obviously cut to the 135-144.9 division, but I'm not sure whether it would be worth it to me. It's same day weigh ins and this tournament is kind of far, so I would probably get there just in time to weigh in then rush to the mats. I feel like I would struggle getting some food and water in me in time.

Would that 7+ lbs disadvantage really even mean anything? Would it be worth the potential energy drain to be Godzilla in Tokyo as opposed to Godzilla on Monster Island (stole that from my coach, tee hee).

What would Bullshido do?

battlefields
4/22/2010 11:50pm,
Go up a weight class and really test yourself?

syberia
4/23/2010 12:00am,
It's only a kg (right?) so it would be pretty easily done. Eat lightly, little fluids. But I wouldn't cut, its not great for you, drains your energy and you waste headspace worrying if you've made it or not. (well, i did). If you want to be in the lower weight class then loose the few pounds for next time in a healthy amount of time.

Also, its weird and gross to fight after just eating.

TheMightyMcClaw
4/23/2010 12:20am,
If you've only got a few pounds to cut, then go for it. The only thing to watch out for is the notoriously wonky scales grappling tournaments use.
You can practically make that just by skipping breakfast.

vinhthekid
4/23/2010 12:44am,
yeah, just cut the weight by not eating or drinking the day before and then reup with pedialyte.

Mr.Miyagi
4/23/2010 2:17am,
Nice hot bath for 10 mins is pretty awesome, too?

Our comps are moving to weighin before you step on mat for your first roll, so nils out the weight cut morning weighin and rehydrate while you wait. Sneaky!

Cutting water weight also sucks majorassballs.

strikistanian
4/23/2010 9:53am,
Nice hot bath for 10 mins is pretty awesome, too?

Our comps are moving to weighin before you step on mat for your first roll, so nils out the weight cut morning weighin and rehydrate while you wait. Sneaky!

Cutting water weight also sucks majorassballs.

I like that idea. I'd kind of rather not cut weight (again, on the fence), but the main reason why it looks like I will is because both my BJJ coach and one of my MMA coaches suggested that I do it.

EDIT: Thanks Vinh! The pedialyte is a good idea!

Kintanon
4/23/2010 10:01am,
Cutting 3-4lbs isn't even really a cut. That's within the range of your normal daily weight fluctuations. Just don't drink water the night before and don't eat breakfast. You usually get a 1lb allowance, so you should easily make 144.9.

Devil
4/23/2010 10:14am,
People take this **** way too seriously with all the weight cutting. Are you an elite grappler? If not, just go compete. It's just another training opportunity. No reason for people to behave like you're going to get your head cut off if you lose a BJJ tourney.

Iainkelt
4/23/2010 11:32am,
Just don't kill yourself cutting weight, only to find out on the day of the tournament that your class is being merged into the one above because of low numbers. I've seen it happen to guys and it sucks.

TheMightyMcClaw
4/23/2010 12:51pm,
People take this **** way too seriously with all the weight cutting. Are you an elite grappler? If not, just go compete. It's just another training opportunity. No reason for people to behave like you're going to get your head cut off if you lose a BJJ tourney.

Dude, it's four pounds.
Go take a dump. Congratulations, you're halfway there.

Devil
4/23/2010 1:43pm,
Dude, it's four pounds.
Go take a dump. Congratulations, you're halfway there.

Why bother? What do you have to gain as a martial artist by cutting weight for a local BJJ tourney? Nothing. It's silly. I can understand elite grapplers doing it when their tourney records really matter. I can understand doing it if you're right on the cusp of a promotion, I guess.

But mostly, lower level grapplers who worry about this **** are the same douchebags that refer to their BJJ match as "a fight". Get real. Just go compete and improve as a martial artist. Experience someone trying to beat you with all the skill and power they can muster. This is the value of competition, not gaming your way into a medal at a lower weight class. Just go compete and learn.

Hesperus
4/23/2010 2:14pm,
The judoka around me who've been taking people off their feet longer than I've been walking on mine refer to their tournament matches as fights...

Devil
4/23/2010 2:21pm,
The judoka around me who've been taking people off their feet longer than I've been walking on mine refer to their tournament matches as fights...

Then they've also been douchebags longer than you've been walking. A grappling match is not a fight.

strikistanian
4/23/2010 4:23pm,
Then they've also been douchebags longer than you've been walking. A grappling match is not a fight.

Why so angry?

I woke up today at 144.8, so I figure I'll probably just try not to eat or drink too much tonight and compete 145 and under. If I don't make it, it's no biggie.

Devil
4/23/2010 5:03pm,
Why so angry?

I woke up today at 144.8, so I figure I'll probably just try not to eat or drink too much tonight and compete 145 and under. If I don't make it, it's no biggie.

Not angry. Just running my mouth. Feel free to ignore me.