PDA

View Full Version : East Timor declares War on Ninjas

Pages : [1] 2

nightowl
4/22/2010 11:22am,
According to an article on Time Magazine: (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1983217,00.html)
(The rest of the article is here. (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1983217,00.html))

For most, the presence of an outfit of ninjas conjures scenes of Japanese comic book assassins or, perhaps, of mutant turtles dwelling in a sewer. But in East Timor, ninjas have become a national security threat. The impoverished country, perched on the fringes of the Indonesian archipelago, is in the grips of a six-month campaign aimed at curbing "ninja" activities a euphemism, ostensibly, for clandestine, anti-government militancy. Earlier this year, Longuinhos Monteiro, East Timor's police chief, donned commando fatigues and personally led an operation into the country's western marches. He sent out a warning via the press: "Any ninjas who want to take us on, your final stop will be Santa Cruz cemetery [in the capital, Dili]."

Indeed, in this environment of instability and uncertainty, the mythical figure of the ninja proves all the more unsettling. Everett of the Asia Foundation recounts a story told to him by U.N. officials who had been summoned to an outlying district of the country by villagers, claiming they had seized a ninja. Upon arriving, they were directed toward a woman said to be literally holding the would-be assassin. They found her and looked on in disbelief. Says Everett: "She was clutching nothing but air."

I missed that Choson Ninja video. : (

Styygens
4/22/2010 11:27am,
These aren't the ninjas you're looking for...

tkd panda
4/22/2010 11:47am,
You have to be carefull wheir you post this their astrall spy's and occult guards are everywhere.

Styygens
4/22/2010 12:09pm,
Ah.

Trained by Dr. Haha Lung then.

Mr. Machette
4/22/2010 12:31pm,
Interesting. First Pirates return to the high seas, now Ninjas reappear in Asia.

Soon the ancient rivalry will be reborn!

Monkfg
4/22/2010 12:32pm,
Finally ninjersim has found a new home. All ninjers go there and fight for the ninja cause, bye.

Tom .C
4/22/2010 12:43pm,
On a related note, I have a test that I use to ferret out a ninja. I throw a wad of paper at someone's back and if they're able to turn, catch it and throw it back in one smooth, fluid motion, I know they are a secret ninja. The guy in the cubicle next to me is still not a ninja. (he was offended when I wrote that the dumbass in the cubicle next to me is still not a ninja) He also won't accept my denial that I wasn't the one who threw the paper. (I'm blaming it on a ninja)

Monkfg
4/22/2010 1:01pm,
On a related note, I have a test that I use to ferret out a ninja. I throw a wad of paper at someone's back and if they're able to turn, catch it and throw it back in one smooth, fluid motion, I know they are a secret ninja. The guy in the cubicle next to me is still not a ninja. (he was offended when I wrote that the dumbass in the cubicle next to me is still not a ninja) He also won't accept my denial that I wasn't the one who threw the paper. (I'm blaming it on a ninja)

You should try drowning him. If he can breath under water he is a ninja. If not you can be sure that he wasn't a ninja. It's a win win situation.

tao.jonez
4/22/2010 1:42pm,
If he floats he's made of wood.
If he's made of wood he must weigh the same as a duck. (As ducks also float.)
So weigh him against a duck.
If they weigh the same then you can burn him for being a ninja.

shelbydeth
4/22/2010 2:02pm,
Ninja hunt > witch hunt

Styygens
4/22/2010 2:22pm,

The problem with your test is that you have no energy from killing intent to transfer in your wad of paper throwing. Use a shuriken next time.

Osaka peach
4/23/2010 1:12pm,
I just can't wait for May 8, Bujinkan display at anime con, AGAIN :thumbsup:

too bad I won't be able to laugh to much, since most otaku believe in the almighty ninjer :cussing:

Ninnong
4/23/2010 2:53pm,
From what I know, the whole ninja legacy started with Hattori Hanzo. http://www.badassoftheweek.com/hanzo.html

tataksarella
4/24/2010 2:24am,
According to an article on Time Magazine: (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1983217,00.html)
(The rest of the article is here. (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1983217,00.html))
: (
that's not ninja, they are masked revolution rebels.

pontoon
4/24/2010 2:34am,
I can't help but feel that it is in poor taste to make fun of this issue.

dougguod
4/24/2010 4:16am,
I can't help but feel that it is in poor taste to make fun of this issue.

Poor taste is sort of what we do around here.